New Compatibility Database

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

New Compatibility Database

Post by vicmarcal » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:00 am

Hi!
Now the Compatibility Database has been improved a lot! :)

1- Easier to Search
2-Easier to Add a New App. In less than a minute.
3-Much better way to show the results. Thanks to the Tabs and a better design.
4-Now it is connected with Bugzilla. You will know which Bugs are affecting the apps and which has been fixed, in REAL time.

Check it ;) http://www.reactos.org/compat/

Thanks to the Web Developers who improved this Compatibility Database :)

b4dc0d3r

Re: New Compatibility Database

Post by b4dc0d3r » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:30 am

I don't remember the old one too clearly, but this certainly looks like an improvement - linking to bugs is a great idea.

Of course, as soon as someone makes a commit it becomes an historical note... but the more data we have I think the more focused we can be. What are the largest gaps, what are the common issues? And of course, where has ROS made progress?

If this officially will end the "you can enter it in the compdb but no one really uses it and it's kinda old" replies, maybe it's time to flood it with test data yes? Or maybe it seems ROS is in a state of internal flux - would it be best to wait a bit before spending serious time testing?

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:41 am

hi
the new Compatibility Database looks cool but i have a couple of complaints the star ratings needs to be brought back the new Outcome options are not very helpful
Running Stable Minor Problems Crash
and the installer rating needs to be brought back

http://79.99.5.181/support/index.php?pa ... e&item=443
this is more helpful

Application function:

* 5 stars = works fantastic
* 4 stars = works good, minor bugs
* 3 stars = works with bugs
* 2 stars = major bugs
* 1 star = doesn't work, or crash while start phase

Installation routine:

* 5 stars = works fantastic or no install routine
* 4 stars = works good, minor bugs
* 3 stars = works with bugs
* 2 stars = major bugs
* 1 star = doesn't work, or crash while start phase

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:34 am

The games category needs more genres :P

I was going to put in my report for Katawa Shoujo Act 1, but its genre is a visual novel, or from what's there, could be considered adventure by some. Problem is that it wouldn't be just a graphical adventure or a text adventure, but as "visual novel" implies, a graphical text adventure.

It also needs Driving (or racing, take your pick) and Action/Adventure (while console games, Zelda and Metroid are perfect examples of action/adventure games. They're not quite adventure, but not quite action - they're half and half)

Also 1st person shooter shouldn't be its own genre. Instead it should be just "Shooter" with 1st person shooter being a sub-genre (along with 3rd person shooter and Scrolling shooter)

EDIT: And where's the fighting and platformer genre? D:
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:49 pm

To tell you the truth I see a great deal of usefulness in helping the project in directing its self moving forward. I personal will test every app I can on every weekly build. I'd do it daily but I've got website to build.

How does AVG run I all I really want to know though.
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer

DangerGround
Website Coordinator

Post by DangerGround » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:56 am

@MadWolf:
The installer rating was canceled, because the installer is a programm for itself. There is absolutely no point to have a report for an installer every time you submit a new report.
The 5-Star rating was replaced with the works/minor problems/crash rating, because if more than one person rates something, there are differences between the pov on how many stars to give an app. So it was simplified, now you can only give more exact ratings

@Nintendo Maniac 64:
Just put it to the game category in general, for now.

florian

Post by florian » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:34 pm

Thank you. I like the idea of an easy system with just three colours. And subcategories shouldn't be too complex (visual novel, adventure - who really cares?).

By the way there is a doubling: 7zip and 7-zip.

betaluva

Post by betaluva » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:04 am

i have tried uploading some screenshots but i always get this error:

Warning: move_uploaded_file(/srv/www/www.reactos.org/compat/media/files/pict ... dition.jpg) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /srv/www/www.reactos.org/compat/lib/om/Entry.class.php on line 179

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/phpw5zXft' to '/srv/www/www.reactos.org/compat/media/files/pict ... dition.jpg' in /srv/www/www.reactos.org/compat/lib/om/Entry.class.php on line 179
Problem while uploading file.

theuserbl

Post by theuserbl » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:50 pm

What I still don't like on it, is the ROS-versionaring.
And instead of ONE color-field, we need TWO color-fields(or more).

Let me explain it:
For example at http://www.reactos.org/compat/index.php ... t&letter=* you see a list, seperated by name, which includes:
Color (how good it work), Application Name, Application Version, Date of last entry modification.

What is missing?
The ReactOS-version!
To see the ReactOS-version, I must select the entrys.
But it would better, to see it already in the list:
  • .Net Framework 2.0 ROS 0.3.6 2008-08-11 00:37:08
    3D Ultra Pinball Creep Night 1 ROS 0.3.10 2009-07-06 19:12:57
    7-Zip (several versions) ROS 0.3.9 2009-05-07 16:41:11
    a-squared Free (several versions) ROS 0.3.6 2008-09-05 03:52:39
    Abasis Finance Manager 1.4.0.129 ROS 0.3.5 2008-07-21 03:48:42
    AbiWord (several versions) ROS 0.3.0 2007-01-16 04:47:13
    Access (several versions) ROS 0.3.10 2009-07-14 00:39:58
    Access Runtime 97 ROS 0.3.10 2009-07-12 03:25:08
    Ace Online 2009 ROS 0.3.8 2009-04-16 18:22:58
    Ad Muncher 4.6 ROS 0.2.9 2006-08-12 20:06:35
    Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06r1 ROS 0.2.9 2006-04-24 03:20:33
    Ad-Aware AE (Anniversary Edition) Free 8.0.4 ROS 0.3.9 2009-05-07 16:57:45
There existing the last modification date. But with the ROS-version you can easier see, which apps needed again be tested on a newer ROS-version.

And then the three colors (works stable, works unstable, Crashes sometimes).
We need a second color-field. One color-field, which shows the best state, which ever exists. And one color-field which shows the current state.

For example: If you have an application which on ROS 0.3.9 "works stable" and on 0.3.10 "Crashes sometimes", what color do you give that application?
Better you give two: The first color green, that there was a time, where it works ok and the second color red, that says, that it is no more so.
And the developers can then easier see, which applications never runs ok and which works only at the current version not ok. Then it is also easier for them to find the bug and correct it.

And so, the detail-entry is also not ok. For example of "Ad Muncher":
http://www.reactos.org/compat/index.php ... ion&id=417
There stand at the left top:
  • # Name: Ad Muncher
    # Version: 4.6
    # Category: Networking & Communication
    # Works in: ReactOS 0.2.9
    # Description:
In this point the "Works in" is not correct. It "Crashes sometimes in 0.2.9" is correct.
And if it would run in 0.2.7, then it needs a additional line with "Last version, which works, was in 0.2.7".

I think, that this are the minimum of changes, which are needed.

Discutable is also, to have a additional information, where the "works stable, works unstable, Crashes sometimes" is devided for the installation of the program and the running of the program itself, as it was in earlier versions of your database.

Greatings
theuserbl

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:23 pm

^^epic post. I fully support your idea. In fact I thought it already stated what version of ReactOS was used for the test in the list (though now I see it doesn't).

greenie

Post by greenie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:49 am

Looks really good. I agree the installer is a separate app. Though if I search up an application and it says works fine, but the installer has many issues i wont know. It is hard to make it is to target development or users. Maybe a related apps sections or something. So that installers, map editor, ect can be linked to that app.

Though the thing that I dislike the most is breadcrumbs with no hyper links. For some reason that drives me nuts when ever I see that on a website.

Though that being the worst i think it's really good. Beats the pants off wineDB. It actually has a proper search.
It has always annoyed me that wine uses Google search. It may seem a little irrational but still.
hopefully we get some advanced filter and search features.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:14 am

Oh dear, it appears I've partially screwed up the hardware description under "tests" for my Katawa Shoujo report:
http://www.reactos.org/compat/?show=ver ... &pmain=100

For the hardware, I typed "ECS K7S5A Pro" but apparently that was too long and it cut off the last part, making it "ECS K7S5A ". Now normally this wouldn't be that big of a deal, but the K7S5A IS a real motherboard, and a different one from the K7S5A Pro as well! Therefore, it should say "K7S5A Pro" instead.

So basically I ask for 2 things:
1) A small message stating there's a 10 character limit
2) The ability to edit our reports (if there's concern for abuse, just allow the ability to click an edit button for only like 5 minutes after filing the report and/or from your last edit)

ngzros

Post by ngzros » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:25 am

So what about a problem with uploading images ?
Warning: move_uploaded_file(/srv/www/www.reactos.org/compat/media/files/pict ... 448_01.png) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in /srv/www/www.reactos.org/compat/lib/om/Entry.class.php on line 179

Warning: move_uploaded_file() [function.move-uploaded-file]: Unable to move '/tmp/phpPDYfg9' to '/srv/www/www.reactos.org/compat/media/files/pict ... 448_01.png' in /srv/www/www.reactos.org/compat/lib/om/Entry.class.php on line 179
Problem while uploading file.

array(1) {
["shot"]=>
array(5) {
["name"]=>
string(6) "01.png"
["type"]=>
string(9) "image/png"
["tmp_name"]=>
string(14) "/tmp/phpPDYfg9"
["error"]=>
int(0)
["size"]=>
int(21282)
}
}

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:04 pm

hi
and there is a nuther problem i have tested lemming for windows the game Running Stable but if i enable the audio reactos BSOD what outcome do i label it ?
Running Stable Minor Problems Crash

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:46 pm

Well..you have to decide yourself...
Is the game full workable but the issue is the Sound?Or is the game non workable at all?or crashes randomly too without the sound?
Imo, i would set it as Orange Level.Not Green,not Red.
And I would create a Bugreport called "Lemmings Sound BSODs ReactOS"attaching the DebugLog of the crash.Of course if it is Sound related i would add the name of the Sound Card and also i would tell if the SoundCard is working with other apps or if it is properlly recognized(it appears in Hardware)
This automagically will add a Line in the BUG tab in the Lemmings Game report.

Just using a little bit the commun sense..