looking to hire

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: looking to hire

Post by Z98 »

Fireball just went on vacation. He should be back in about two weeks or so.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

silver163 wrote:We wrote out the proposal, more specific information will come out in the proposal version 2.0 so hold tight.

But in order to get a more accurate and more detailed proposal we will need to know who is on board with this project, how much money is requested, determination of payment method, and the speed that certain features can be developed by in order to write out a schedule.

Cause my linux computer isn't up yet I emailed Fireball the proposal but no response yet.
And about the Developers, if any of the Developers are interested or skilled then they can move to the project, or a dev can be specially hired for this work.All depends of the amount of the investment.
silver163

Post by silver163 »

vicmarcal wrote:
silver163 wrote:We wrote out the proposal, more specific information will come out in the proposal version 2.0 so hold tight.

But in order to get a more accurate and more detailed proposal we will need to know who is on board with this project, how much money is requested, determination of payment method, and the speed that certain features can be developed by in order to write out a schedule.

Cause my linux computer isn't up yet I emailed Fireball the proposal but no response yet.
And about the Developers, if any of the Developers are interested or skilled then they can move to the project, or a dev can be specially hired for this work.All depends of the amount of the investment.
we need to create a team of developers who would be interested and figure out how much money would the developers want, how we pay and so forth. The investment amount has to reasonable, while we certain wish to invest we don't want to have some unreasonable amount as well. We also need to figure how we need to pay.
swight

Post by swight »

Not sure how much it will help but there is rather incomplete list of features that have money/time required already here http://www.reactos.org/wiki/CFI. I should probably note that I am not a developer on this project(lack skills in C programming).
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

silver163 wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:

we need to create a team of developers who would be interested and figure out how much money would the developers want, how we pay and so forth. The investment amount has to reasonable, while we certain wish to invest we don't want to have some unreasonable amount as well. We also need to figure how we need to pay.
Well,those details have to be arranged directly with Aleksey Bragin( Fireball). He is now in Europe and he will be back at home in one week or so. :)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Is it a serious proposal? I mean, SERIOUS?
With a real company/financing that backs it up?
We are talking about at least the figures WINE gets now. Even more, as they receive plenty of patches from unpaid devs. Meaning, we require at least 80-90 highly skilled coders, from a wide area of experience (listing only the most important):
- NT kernel
- Compilers
- WDM/WDDM framework
- Opengl/DirectX
- Win32 Subsys
- NT Audio stack
- NT USB stack
- NT network stack
- NT Video stack

Then, a dedicated group of testers is required as well. And no, you cant subsitute it with community testing. Why not? Such large group of coders requires even bigger group of testers, that would have to dedicate themselves to the process. Else, the development pace would outrun any testing attempt and bugs shall creep up into.

Such proposal should be discussed with ReactOS team in private, not on the user forum... hence my question about seriousness.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Haos wrote:Is it a serious proposal? I mean, SERIOUS?
Who cares? If they are willing to stump up money....

On that note, I would like to actually see this proposal.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Haos wrote:Is it a serious proposal? I mean, SERIOUS?
We are talking about at least the figures WINE gets now. Even more, as they receive plenty of patches from unpaid devs. Meaning, we require at least 80-90 highly skilled coders, from a wide area of experience (listing only the most important):
- NT kernel
- Compilers
- WDM/WDDM framework
- Opengl/DirectX
- Win32 Subsys
- NT Audio stack
- NT USB stack
- NT network stack
- NT Video stack

Then, a dedicated group of testers is required as well. And no, you cant subsitute it with community testing. Why not? Such large group of coders requires even bigger group of testers, that would have to dedicate themselves to the process. Else, the development pace would outrun any testing attempt and bugs shall creep up into.

Such proposal should be discussed with ReactOS team in private, not on the user forum... hence my question about seriousness.
Haos, I think they are talking about support for their products.And yes they want to invest some money in order to have their POS hardware and software running.
Not a full support as WINE has. But ey, anything is better than nothing.Improvements to have their hardware+software running will benefict other hardware and software too.

We will see soon.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@vicmarcal

Did you read their basic proposal, stated here: http://www.mypixation.com/jigle_proposal.pdf ?

Judging at your comment, you didnt.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Haos wrote:@vicmarcal

Did you read their basic proposal, stated here: http://www.mypixation.com/jigle_proposal.pdf ?

I have, and I will say that the goals are far too general and far too ambitious for the current team size. Even with an appropriate number of developers in the hundreds, the proposal will have to be further extended to include details as to exactly what has to be done within the general goals already given.

Also, Fireball will never allow the project to be renamed.

For a proposal like this, the compensation level will have to be in the order of single millions of dollars, and a 10-15 year timeframe, and even then completion is highly unlikely.

It appears as if the proposer has no idea what kind of product he is dealing with.

btw Haos, where did you find this proposal?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Haos wrote:@vicmarcal

True, i didnt,since i didnt know this proposal exists.My fault :(

Well, it is quite generic(as Lone Rifle said),it says "I want an XP full workable OS" but maybe you dont need all those functionalities at 100%.

One example: POS usually has a quite defined hardware, every Company uses different POS hardware but usually always the same. So you dont need an XP-compatible which supports every possible driver in the world(as the proposal states) just the drivers needed for your quite-well-defined POS hardware. If the POS hardware uses a NIC/ WIFI which ReactOS is compatible now you dont need to invest for a full support in all the NICs. Also maybe and during the developing the POS company can change from this-not-supported NIC to this-other-supported NIC. NICs are NICs and you wont find any difference. So you can save money in this point.

Just with this thing(using a today-ReactOS-compatible NIC) can save thousand of dollars in the final answer.In the same way using a today--ReactOS-compatible video card can save another good thousand of dollars in the final answer.

Second example: "We need MONO, .NET, MYSQL support"
Well. Im pretty sure that if you can use .NET, MONO is redundant.Or the other way around. Are there a good reason to want a double ".Net" apps support? The difference is about paying X or the double.

Third example: " A better registry"
Well, our registry is quite nice for some apps, but not with all of them. So the question is: What do you mean really? ;) Is the app failing at registering point?or why our registry is bad now?

About the renaming: ReactOS is ReactOS, but maybe we can find a middle point. You can call it as you want if you state that is ReactOS based.In the same way there are Ubuntus,Red Hats and cia, which are Linux based. This is the way ElementOS (if one day is released) is following, and they arent paying any money at all.

24 hours?Well, our uptime is much better than 24 hours.
CCleaner?Currently supported.

If the proposal is quite generic the answer will be Million of dollars.
If the proposal is focused in the main interesting points, then the answer could be much more different.

A focused proposal would be:

-Description of the actual hardware used in the POS.
-Possibility of using Hardware currently supported by ReactOS or not.
-Currently apps needed: Firewall,Ccleaner, etc..
-Main areas to work: Security Area,etc...

Just a guideline to save you from an impressive dollars answer.
Techsalvager

Post by Techsalvager »

IMO you guys should use windows straight up. You should try reactos, if you have even tried it you would know it doesn't have any security, networking is sporty, getting better, games and apps is not the strong part of ros, only FS it supports is FAT32 for install on. Whats the whole better registery item about, seems like a bunch of bs spit out by someone that just goes by what people say or what they read.
jgwright

Post by jgwright »

Why so much negativity? I'd be surprised if this guy's still interested and this offer didn't look to me to have a huge flashing "bogus!" on it. Such negativity just becomes self-fulfilling.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

jgwright wrote:Why so much negativity? I'd be surprised if this guy's still interested and this offer didn't look to me to have a huge flashing "bogus!" on it. Such negativity just becomes self-fulfilling.
Negativity?I have seen worst posts around here. Btw, any opinion here isnt important, here we could have Competitors-trolls.And also opinions are like Noses, everyone has one.

We are just trying to help him(as my previous answer) to focus his Proposal Draft, but of course he can ignore our advices...The achivements he proposes (if acomplished) will lead to a full workable OS, which means a big investment. If he has a lot of money to invest, then submit it.We will be pleased to have a big investor. But, as far as my english let me understand, he wants mainly to have his POS hardware and his POS software running. And this is a much lower investment, indeed afordable for a small/medium company.

Registry improvement. Is it really needed to run the POS software?Because maybe the POS softwae is perfectly registered. Or maybe it just lacks one or two specific things and not a full improvement.It´s cheaper fixing 3 bugs, than fixing all the registry bugs.

Same with the drivers. ReactOS sound cards/NiCs are good examples.These ones are working thanks to the DebugLogs that the testers provided, which pointed to our Devs to Bugs and which have been solved.If the Testers would have decided to test others NICs then our Devs would have fixed other different bugs. So NICs and Sound Cards are being studied almost "on demand". Telling aicom or janderwald to have ALL the NICs and Sound Cards working will lead to...buff...huge task...huge money.Telling aicom to create support for the 3 different NICs the POS use will lead to a less huge task, less huge money.

It´s easy to say: " i want everything ":)..but then it will be much more expensive.