ReactOS Application Manager

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: ReactOS Application Manager

Post by vicmarcal »

NintendoManiac:
They are going to have their own list,they arent going to dissapear.
The idea of having apps in the downlader manager is to control the evolution/regressions, games are quite special to test and we dont have testers/manpower.But if you want to help,create a list of interesting games,remember to test them 2times in each month and report the results.:)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

DirectX from WINE works quite well in ROS. Surely, real hardware performance is still medicore due to lack of hardware opengl acceleration, but still i dont see anything against Dx games.
Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

Haos wrote:DirectX from WINE works quite well in ROS. Surely, real hardware performance is still medicore due to lack of hardware opengl acceleration, but still i dont see anything against Dx games.
The DirectX implementation in both Wine and ReactOS is still quite incomplete, but you are right. If OpenGL was hardware accelerated, we really wouldn't be having a problem with DirectX right now.

Maybe Gallium3D modules could be compiled as ICDs for different graphics cards, since Gallium is cross platform and is supposed to support building OpenGL drivers for Windows as well as Linux. That would still leave the standard 2D drivers though.

I am aware that ReactOS is supposed to support vendor Windows NT drivers, but the fact is, they don't. And also, being able to bundle a limited set of drivers in ReactOS would be a good thing too, even if they aren't as "high performance" as the vendor's drivers...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Pharaoh_Atem wrote: I am aware that ReactOS is supposed to support vendor Windows NT drivers, but the fact is, they don't. And also, being able to bundle a limited set of drivers in ReactOS would be a good thing too, even if they aren't as "high performance" as the vendor's drivers...
Well, the obvious answer is: "We will spend our time making the NT drivers working than spending the time creating our own limited drivers".
There are a lot of reasons but i can think about 2:
1)If I dont need NT drivers, then I will use Linux+Wine:More stability,and more supported than ReactOS.
2)ReactOS main attractive is the ability of loading NT drivers.This is the only GPL project in the world with this skill.

And about drivers, you are right, but check Network and Sound drivers. We are the most compatible project in this area.
Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

vicmarcal wrote:
Pharaoh_Atem wrote: I am aware that ReactOS is supposed to support vendor Windows NT drivers, but the fact is, they don't. And also, being able to bundle a limited set of drivers in ReactOS would be a good thing too, even if they aren't as "high performance" as the vendor's drivers...
Well, the obvious answer is: "We will spend our time making the NT drivers working than spending the time creating our own limited drivers".
There are a lot of reasons but i can think about 2:
1)If I dont need NT drivers, then I will use Linux+Wine:More stability,and more supported than ReactOS.
2)ReactOS main attractive is the ability of loading NT drivers.This is the only GPL project in the world with this skill.

And about drivers, you are right, but check Network and Sound drivers. We are the most compatible project in this area.
Making NT drivers work doesn't mean we couldn't bundle a limited set of drivers as well. On the contrary, it could mean making test cases for Windows OpenGL ICDs and 2D graphics drivers would be easier. I believe that already Gallium3D contains a OpenGL ICD for i965 that could be used. However, since the core team works diligently on getting the ROS Kernel up to scratch, someone else with NT kernel experience would have to do it.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Pharaoh_Atem wrote: Making NT drivers work doesn't mean we couldn't bundle a limited set of drivers as well.
Of course we can include nonbasic drivers,as Microsoft does nowadays,but this is left for any of those Distros that will appear in a close future.
Right now our idea is supporting (so fixing) our Kernel to support Nt drivers, that will let you to include Original NT drivers or any other GPL Nt drivers.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Opengl ICD for I965 is also shipped with I965 video driver... Why would we need the one from Gallium, unless its opensource ofc.
Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

Haos wrote:Opengl ICD for I965 is also shipped with I965 video driver... Why would we need the one from Gallium, unless its opensource ofc.
OFC?

The one from Gallium is open source. Gallium is included in Mesa 7.5 and 7.6, however it isn't built by default in 7.5 afaik.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

OFC=of course

Cool. It could help with testing Opengl acceleration on real hw. Can we have a link?
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Dead link...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

This morning was working, seems Vmware has bought this company(maybe they are moving contents):

Here some info: http://wiki.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/gallium
Here Google cache: http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:4o ... =firefox-a
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

b4dc0d3r

Re: Gallium

Post by b4dc0d3r »

Furthing Pharaoh_Atem 's comment:

On 11 February 2009, the gallium-0.2 branch was merged into mainline Master branch of Mesa.[10] Development is done in Mesa mainline.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n ... &px=NzA1Ng

ROS is already using MESA, yes?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

A while back I spoke with Greatlord about Gallium, and he mentioned that something about it architecturally made it problematic for Windows. Don't recall the exact details or whether that is still true now, but just throwing it out there.