ReactOS Application Manager

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

betaluva

ReactOS Application Manager

Post by betaluva » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:37 am

It seems to be a better application than Downloader.exe, although they both have their merits, here's a demo video for those people who have not tried it yet ( its included in the latest builds of ReactOS ): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNgCM8vHVXk

gonzoMD

Re: ReactOS Application Manager

Post by gonzoMD » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:10 am

great work, thanks

doomonyou

Post by doomonyou » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:20 pm

Like it so far.

lollebol

Post by lollebol » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:51 pm

Would be nice too see this application manager in Control Panel as "Add or Remove Programs" just as Windows :roll:

As I see an button "Updates" in the video, will that reconize updates from installed applications only or will it have more functions like updating ReactOS (in the future)?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:35 am

I think the "update" button is about a future(not soon at all)ReactOS updates itself more than a button to check for Sotware updates

deniseweird

Post by deniseweird » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:46 am

I don't care too much about the name, as long as it does its work. The application is generally nice and a great improvement over the Download! application. But I hate it that you can only install one package at a time. Checkboxes or something to that effect should be implemented IMO. And while you're at it, make sure the user can both pick packages for installation and removal in one go (Not the Same packages of course :P).

swight

Post by swight » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:15 pm

That kinda reminds me of how features are turned on and off in Windows. The box is checked is it is installed or going to be installed and unchecked if it is not installed or about to be uninstalled.

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:12 am

Here's a question: what determines what programs get listed?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Here's a question: what determines what programs get listed?
Well,if you are asking who decide/choose the apps,the answer is easy:mainly testers.These apps are supossed to work nice on ReactOS.Also they have been chosen because their quality.If you have found an app which works(almost) perfectly and there isnt any similar app included,then you are free to suggest it :)

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:38 pm

I reported earlier (LINK) that the free visual novel game "Katawa Shoujo" (or at least its demo, the full game isn't out yet) appears to work perfectly (only the opening video doesn't play, it just gets skipped)

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:I reported earlier (LINK) that the free visual novel game "Katawa Shoujo" (or at least its demo, the full game isn't out yet) appears to work perfectly (only the opening video doesn't play, it just gets skipped)
I think i have said this before, games were about to be excluded from 0.3.10 release,at the end we decide to keep it. A future idea is to create a list of GAMES(only games) working in ROS.

Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:36 am

Very nice, it should replace the Downloader quite well. Though it seems it is supposed to replace both the Downloader and the Add/Remove Programs applet...

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:49 am

vicmarcal wrote:I think i have said this before, games were about to be excluded from 0.3.10 release,at the end we decide to keep it. A future idea is to create a list of GAMES(only games) working in ROS.
May I ask why games would be removed? It doesn't really matter to me either way, I'm just interested in what would makes them different from other applications.

Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:06 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:I think i have said this before, games were about to be excluded from 0.3.10 release,at the end we decide to keep it. A future idea is to create a list of GAMES(only games) working in ROS.
May I ask why games would be removed? It doesn't really matter to me either way, I'm just interested in what would makes them different from other applications.
One word: DirectX

Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:13 am

Well that's kinda silly, not all games use DirectX. (like the above-mentioned Katawa Shoujo In fact in the future it's possible it could use OpenGL...) Speaking of which many older games that had actually had shareware versions were OpenGL if not plain-old software. (Like Quake, Doom, etc.)

Also speaking of OpenGL and software rendering, that reminds me - emulators. Can I assume these will never be listed due to their grey-area legality, even though many are OpenGL or software based? (for cross-platform compatibility)