Logon Sound - Choose your favorite(s)!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Logon Sound - Choose your favorite(s)!

Post by vicmarcal »

Lone_Rifle wrote: what about W2K's startup sound? =)
It´s not a NT OS sound..we are following NT architecture =)
or
Blame Arch Blackman :3

People who is bored and recopiles Windows startup sounds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1ltR2tCz_o

Two facts:
1)Time expected: Around 5 seconds
2)Usually they use Higher tones, maybe to wake up the user after a long Loading.(Yes, I'm a bad boy)
The123King wrote:Great, but it's a bit too long. 3-5 seconds is perfect, but any longer and it's not very good. Look at any startup tune, XP's, 2k's, Vista's, Ubuntu....
Well really the sound lasts 5 seconds+3seconds of nothing :)
Pesho wrote: Thanks alot vic! You're absolutely right about the "finishing ting" for startup sounds. Here's a newer version following your suggestion:

http://nik.benzinestudios.com/Razni/rostest2.mp3
You´re wellcome. Great, it sounds like i was expecting in my mind. :)
Another thing, usually the Startup sounds are fast and high in frecuency.(Really i dont like too much that high frecuency as saying "Im here"), but How would it sound if it were faster(tempo between notes)?or increasing to all the notes one octave?Just two tests.Try to see if they solve this little slowness ;)
Last edited by vicmarcal on Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

I like Lone_Rifle's the best because it's simple and soft.

The biggest problem with Windows XP is that the sounds are loud and intrusive, to the point where it startles you when you get a notification or when you're logging in half-asleep in the middle of the night. When I first used Ubuntu the first thing I liked was the general softness of the interface. As opposed to the glaringly bright colors of Luna, you had soft browns. The sound complemented it too, with soft drum beats that began softly and ended softly. Whereas Windows XP shocked you into knowing what was going on with sudden, fast sounds, Ubuntu's sounds were enough to let you know that something happened, but soft enough not to startle you in the process. Kind of like the difference between yelling at someone and walking up to them and speaking softly.

Lone_Rifle's entry has that same quality going for it, so it got my vote.

I would nominate Pesho's login as a runner-up. Pesho's login sound has a good sound, but it sounds kind of dark. It might work better as a logout sound, but the instrumentation would have to be matched with the other sounds into a singular theme.

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

i like Pesho's but i thought it was too long so i shortened it: http://www.badongo.com/audio/16506215

( i saved the file as a mono wave, to keep the file size small plus its compatable with old soundcards )

ok i converted it to stereo for stereophiles: http://www.badongo.com/audio/16506416

last, Pesho start sound shortened with "UP" sound: http://www.badongo.com/audio/16506598

* now that i have listened to them for a few hours i think Lone rifle's is probably the best one :D
Last edited by betaluva on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

cuttysark

Post by cuttysark »

Nice Post!

Pesho

Post by Pesho »

now that i have listened to them for a few hours i think Lone rifle's is probably the best one
Heh yeah, i know what you mean :lol: Anyways, i've followed everyone's suggestions and shortened it considerably. It even works as a shutdown sound (sorta...)

http://nik.benzinestudios.com/Razni/rostestlogon.mp3
http://nik.benzinestudios.com/Razni/rostestlogoff.mp3

The123king

Post by The123king »

vicmarcal wrote:
Lone_Rifle wrote: what about W2K's startup sound? =)
It´s not a NT OS sound..we are following NT architecture =)
or
Blame Arch Blackman :3
*slaps* Win2k is NT

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

The123king wrote:
*slaps* Win2k is NT
I think your irony/sarcasm detector is a bit on the fritz. Here, hold still, let me adjust the dial...

On an unrelated note, my harpist friend criticised me for using MIDI instruments in my submission, and is eager to do a live recording of the same thing. I've handed over my MIDI to her, so if this friend returns with the live recording, I'll post it here for your amusement. It is likely that the live recording will supersede my previous submission.

Davy Bartoloni

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

gabrielilardi wrote:
Phlox wrote:i find the best Logon sound is this from ReactIT.MfG, Phlox
Hi, I need to know the license it's under, we need that info to be able to add it to the list (if feasible).
a thunderstorm sound taken from an old my-game... with some distorsion/phaser effects :) no copyright on this "creation" .. take it ( CC )

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

Davy Bartoloni wrote:
gabrielilardi wrote:
Phlox wrote:i find the best Logon sound is this from ReactIT.MfG, Phlox
Hi, I need to know the license it's under, we need that info to be able to add it to the list (if feasible).
a thunderstorm sound taken from an old my-game... with some distorsion/phaser effects :) no copyright on this "creation" .. take it ( CC )
Ok, I can't modify the poll again otherwise counter will get reset one more time, LoneRifle's candidate is outperforming anway.
Those willing to vote for Davy's Logon sound please make a post stating so, same goes for Pesho's.
Thanks!

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

What about creating a poll with the 3 more voted in the current pool plus the definitive versions of the other guys?
I think it will be more fair for all the guys who are expending their time creating a Sound.Maybe the next pool can be opened on Sunday, so people who wants contribute will have a last chance. I´m saying this because Lone Rifle,Davy,Pesho´s and the other contributions rocks :)..much more than the 25 sounds(not because the sounds are bad, just because we have in the Community unonoticied impressive musicians. :)

Opening the pool on Sunday will give Lone the time to finish the REAL instead MIDI, will give Peshos time to make more modifications without pressure(or indeed trying to create a Lighter sound) but without delaying too much the final decisions :)

Of course it´s just my opinion :)

Pesho

Post by Pesho »

I think that the last two (logon/logoff) i posted are probably going to be the final ones... I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow, so today's the last chance for suggestions/feedback :|

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I prefer the previous longer version..this latest ones seems to be oversimplified..
Just cut the latests seconds that doesnt have sound..and delete the first second, so the background noise is not increasing from zero but it begins louder.
The instand milisecond of the sound is the next one:
Actually the song begins with a HIT, then you have like a reverb/echo of that HIT,(during all of this there is a background noise increasing) and then the second clear HIT.This HIT is around 00:01 and the background noise is in a higher frecuency.Ok. Cut the song 30 milliseconds before this second clear HIT. So you are entering with a high frecuency and a Hit, also you are reducing the lenght of the sound,and you are deleting that first second that seems to be a little bit slow.
:)
Is it possible to increase 10% the rate or the tempo? :)

Pesho

Post by Pesho »

Should that be done on the long or the short version? The background synth is made to "ease in", that can be removed. And yeah, 10% increase in tempo can be made, but there wont be much of a noticable difference.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

I like the background noise-sound, it rulez:)
Im talking about the Long version: rostest2.mp3

And no, i like the background so dont delete it plizzzz:)

Pesho

Post by Pesho »

No no, i don't mean removing it... :) The synth for the background noise uses ADSR envelopes which allow you to set whether you want to "ease-in", or start sharply etc.. There are two of those - one controls volume and the other one controls the filter cutoff frequency making it sound "fizzy-er" as time progresses. Here's how it sounds with them tweaked:

http://nik.benzinestudios.com/Razni/rostestadsr.mp3

People have different criteria with startup sounds so im not surprised other people might say it's still too long... Personally i like the short versions best since they're simple and there's little that can go wrong. But whatever, you can vote for any of these.