reactOS ruulz, some feedback

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ch4os

reactOS ruulz, some feedback

Post by Ch4os » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:43 am

Hi, I heard about reactOS about a year ago already.
Today I had time to test it.
On my notebook the installation process failed, the monitor turned black in the driver-loading-part, and stayed black forever.
On my PC it worked fine, the monitor was only black for about 200ms, but it was unable to copy the boot-part so it wanted me to use a floppy disc.
I think reactOS should use and configure Grub instead of its own bootloader, or it should be able to boot multiple operating systems like Grub with a menu.
Another thing was the lack of USB support, i was unable to make it bootable from a USB-stick, that's a pity, reactOS on a 1GB-stick would be great.
That were the negative things, and now the positive ones :)
After i booted it up, I downloaded firefox3 for windows, 7zip for windows and some other programs.
Nearly every program worked, i didn't expect that since it's a alpha.
Then I tried a program based on my library which uses openGL, openCL, GTK and such "platform-independent" libraries.
The program worked, GTK had some visualisation-problem but i was still able to use the GUI.
That was impressive, you are doing greaaat work.
I will have a look into the sourcecode a bit in the next weeks, maybe I can help a bit in the USB-part.

The123king

Re: reactOS ruulz, some feedback

Post by The123king » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:47 am

USB is completely unimplemented.

As for the bootloader, GRUB is useless to us, as we have a very complex bootloading process, similar to Windows (hence why you can't boot Windows just by using GRUB, it has to call NTLDR to actually boot)

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:22 pm

The123king wrote:USB is completely unimplemented.
Well, USB keyboard and mouse are supported, although it's early days yet.
The123king wrote:As for the bootloader, GRUB is useless to us, as we have a very complex bootloading process, similar to Windows (hence why you can't boot Windows just by using GRUB, it has to call NTLDR to actually boot)
GRUB might be evolving to cope with that soon - a certain "rmh" from the GRUB team has recently expressed interest in using ReactOS code in order to boot Windows systems directly.

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:18 pm

GRUB can be used to boot ReactOS.

FF3 has some issues, FF2 is more stable.

The123king

Post by The123king » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:16 pm

GoBusto wrote:
The123king wrote:USB is completely unimplemented.
Well, USB keyboard and mouse are supported, although it's early days yet.
From what i've gathered, it's merely a wrapper around the current PS/2 keyboard/mouse drivers, so it's hardly a proper USB implementation, is it?

Radhad

Post by Radhad » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:57 pm

AFAIK it is based on the USB NT4 Stack and must be replaced with an NT5 Stack for USB