Virus Testing

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dark

Virus Testing

Post by dark »

I found someone who hates that im not using ms windows for some reason, and i told him about how reactos could probably get the same viruses as windows. So he's making me a disk full of viruses to try to see if they work on reactos.

any comments or guidlines you think i should follow for these tests?

steveh

and av programs?

Post by steveh »

my suggestions:

1. be careful: don't leave viruses behind on a hdd partition after these tests

2. i suggest that this is the ideal occasion for testing if any antivirus software is compatible with reactos at this time:
i suppose norton antivirus is not, because "directx" and the IE are mandatory for the installation

i would suggest to test the free "avpersonal classic", and to report the results here

dark

Post by dark »

I have clamwin installed for my antivirus (I prefer to use GPL software), but no antivirus would really work since i need a modem driver and aol to connect to the internet, so antivirus software cannot download virus definitions. i plan to delete the hard drive every time and reinstall reactos

Currently using a nightly build off merklort's site from wed.

oiaohm

Best option is the vault methrod

Post by oiaohm »

React Os will install and run inside qemu in a single file partition.

Run qemu inside linux so that if a virus works well you have results.

Yes React Os will get the same viruses as windows but the question is will they work.

As was found with Wine(shared source between Wine and Reactos) Some viruses will work others depend on a windows fault and will not work.

This is why I was a while back pushing for clamav to be built in by default.

Headstrong

Post by Headstrong »

I would try this first
http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

AVG and freeAV find it.

I also think clanAV should be installed /intergrated by default.

how much work would this be ?

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Sorry but don't see the sence in trying to run lots of viruses.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?

dark

Post by dark »

Running on real hardware, without ability to connect to internet, so you would have to do your own tests to see how effective your antivirus is. There needs to be more testing of reactos on real hardware, since there are these obvious bugs in every major release to people who use real hardware.

ClamAV is a unix tool for scanning emails. Clamwin is an antivirus software for windows. (needed to clear that up)

Information learned from such tests may actualy be useful later.

steveh

Viruses & clamwin

Post by steveh »

1. viruses:
i think many of them will not work because Reactos has neither IE nr OE 8)

2. clamwin:
i suppose you can update a clamwin installed on a windows partition and then copy it's new definitions manually into the clamwin installed on reactos?

Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

Yes but why do you want to do that on ReactOs and not on Windows ? If you want to try how comaptilbe ReactOs is two AV-Programs one virus and a Virtual Maschine should do-
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?

oiaohm

Hmm might be useful

Post by oiaohm »

What viruses can and cannot work would be a very good thing to know.

Might provide some places for code changes to stop some virus types from ever working.

The linux methord to security remove the flaw. This is useful I don't have a large virus collection.

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

The thing is, once ReactOS matures enough to run most windows programs, it'll also be mature enough to run viruses.

Headstrong

Post by Headstrong »

ScoTTie wrote:The thing is, once ReactOS matures enough to run most windows programs, it'll also be mature enough to run viruses.
I am unsure of that, i think reactOS will be imune to most viruses that effect windows, mainly viruses are exploits of IE or OE and a few effect services that run by default, chances are reactOS does not even have these services yet, let alone get infected.

But I do belive we should be aware of virus on reactOS, not only windoews ones but maybe reactOS native ones.

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

John Headstrong wrote:
ScoTTie wrote:The thing is, once ReactOS matures enough to run most windows programs, it'll also be mature enough to run viruses.
I am unsure of that, i think reactOS will be imune to most viruses that effect windows, mainly viruses are exploits of IE or OE and a few effect services that run by default, chances are reactOS does not even have these services yet, let alone get infected.

But I do belive we should be aware of virus on reactOS, not only windoews ones but maybe reactOS native ones.
The viruses will run fine, just the bugs they exploit to propagate probably wont exist in ReactOS. Spyware/etc.. is a totally different issue though.

dark

Post by dark »

I can't really do what your asking of me, i think for what everyone here wants to do would require more people than just one, and a source of viruses where you know what they are supposed to do on a windows machine.

Maybe such a project should be added to the wiki.

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

dark wrote:I can't really do what your asking of me, i think for what everyone here wants to do would require more people than just one, and a source of viruses where you know what they are supposed to do on a windows machine.

Maybe such a project should be added to the wiki.
Whats the point?