Tmax Window, windows compatible proprietary OS from Korea

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: Tmax Window, windows compatible proprietary OS from Korea

Post by Z98 »

Yep, I remember you. When I first saw this thread, first thought was, where the hell is manatails?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Z98 wrote:Yep, I remember you. When I first saw this thread, first thought was, where the hell is manatails?
Hehehehe
Haos wrote:From what i see, they are using our code as a reference. Nothing in GPL can stop it from doing so. As their base is obviously UNIX, there is a little use of ROS code copypasta. They want to be able to load windows applications? Its more of WINE problem. I also seriously doubt they are gonna be able to use Windows binary drivers sooner than LUK, that is still somewhat far from that...

How is that OS licensed?
Obviously anyone can use GPL code, as we do with Wine´s,but there are two clear statement(copy-paste:)

1)The GPL does not require you to release your modified version, or any part of it. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

2)But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

In this case noone has been able to find the source code,repositories of this company.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

And we are not sure they are using any GPL code. Innocent until proven otherwise.

manatails007

Post by manatails007 »

Z98 wrote:Yep, I remember you. When I first saw this thread, first thought was, where the hell is manatails?
hehehe

I want to go to TmaxDay2009 but I dont have enough time... :(

falkTX

Post by falkTX »

Official Website:
http://www.tmaxwindow.co.kr/

The intro is nice. I wonder if this is going somewhere...

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

..to be sued..It´s going to be sued if they are using GPL and not releasing code.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

vicmarcal wrote:..to be sued..It´s going to be sued if they are using GPL and not releasing code.
There's no point suing a company if they are going to be unsuccessful. There's not much you can learn from commercially unpopular ideas, so forcing them to comply with GPL would be unproductive.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Lone_Rifle wrote:There's no point suing a company if they are going to be unsuccessful. There's not much you can learn from commercially unpopular ideas, so forcing them to comply with GPL would be unproductive.

It can be funny at least..and promote ReactOS :)

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

No, it can drown the project...

frmariam

Post by frmariam »

Shareaza (real... http://shareaza.sourceforge.net/) vs Shareaza (fake... http://www.shareaza.com/) comes to mind (even though it's not exactly the same situation). Hope the same doesn't happen...

RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

cleansugar wrote: we are suffering as dogs.
You've got to love translation software. That sounds like something Blackcrack would post. :lol:

I don't seriously think they can produce something that's Windows compatible by themselves this fast when it's taken ReactOS this long to get as far as we are, unless they're taking source code from ReactOS or Wine.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Haos wrote:No, it can drown the project...
Just if we cant prove they are using ReactOS code. But as Raptor Emperor says i dont think they are able to create Windows APIS in 1 year without using Wine code or giving support to drivers in 2 months without using ReactOS code.

It reminds me the actual issue with ScummVM, they are proving the NDS games are using their product thanks to a glitch in an eye of a fish. I think we are able to find ReactOS known bugs easily.And dissasembly will give us some extra info.

Btw, i dont share your opinion. ReactOS is a nice project since it mixes Windows compatibility+ OpenSource. This company is another closed company, as MS is.Why using a fake-app of a suspicious closed company instead the original of MS?

manatails007

Post by manatails007 »

RaptorEmperor wrote:
You've got to love translation software. That sounds like something Blackcrack would post. :lol:
Suffering as dogs(개고생) means suffuring very hard in Korea. It's kind of slang

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

RaptorEmperor wrote:
That sounds like something Blackcrack would post. :lol:
I think the phrase that would probably sit with you better is "we are suffering like dogs".

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Lone_Rifle wrote:
RaptorEmperor wrote:
That sounds like something Blackcrack would post. :lol:
I think the phrase that would probably sit with you better is "we are suffering like dogs".
Well, I have understood what he tried to say, in Spain we use the same sentence.And about the grammar POV i can find about 5 fails each time i reread my own posts :)