Default settings

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PetruDimitriu

Default settings

Post by PetruDimitriu »

I'm building my own ROS sources and I'm wondering how can I change the default settings (like resolution, theme) and also how can I add a few new fonts and one .exe in /ReactOS/
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Re: Default settings

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Ask Davy Bartoloni.

EDIT: fix typo. sorry.
Last edited by Lone_Rifle on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PetruDimitriu

Post by PetruDimitriu »

Where can I find him?
theuserbl

Post by theuserbl »

That you have to ask Davy Bartolini was sarkasm by Lone_Rifle.

Davy is the man behind the ReactOS distribution ReactIT, which he announced at
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6509 and http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6958.

The point is, that there are some ReactOS-developer who don't want to see distributions of ReactOS. The license allowes it, but they are angry, if they see distributions.

For little changes you can also look at my post at http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6633.
Important is the program "cdmake.exe", which creates after every build (if livecd or installcd) the CD-image with files from an directory, which you can choose.
So, if you add in this directory additional files or delete them, then they are additional on the CD-image or - if you have deletet them - are not there.

Have also a look at the thread at http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6878 before you start. Its look like, that you makes not much friends of yourself, if you create an distribution.

Greatings
theuserbl
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

theuserbl wrote: The point is, that there are some ReactOS-developer who don't want to see distributions of ReactOS. The license allowes it, but they are angry, if they see distributions.
This is not Real at all. I know some of them who likes Distributions.Btw Bartoloni is the best who can point you to modify ReactOS since he is doing a Distro too. That´s all. :)
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

I'm building my own ROS sources […]
PetruDimitriuOS? :)
[…] and I'm wondering how can I change the default settings (like resolution, theme) […]
boot/bootdata/txtsetup.sif
hivedef_{arm,i386}.inf
boot/bootdata/*.inf
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3162
[…] and also how can I add a few new fonts […]
boot/bootdata/packages/reactos.dff (see e.g. tahoma.ttf, Systema.ttf)
boot/bootdata/livecd.inf
base/setup/usetup/{muifonts.h,muilanguages.h}
media/inf/font.inf
[…] and one .exe in /ReactOS/
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6678
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3152
Where can I find him?
http://www.reactos.org/forum/memberlist ... ile&u=2688
PetruDimitriu

Post by PetruDimitriu »

Thank you hto!
PetruDimitriuOS? :)
No. :) I just want to see how much can I change at ROS by myself without breaking the build. :lol: I'll keep the name ReactOS, because I'm not going to distribute this, it's just a personal version. I'll give it at most to one person, a friend of mine... I respect the devs, if the don't want distros, then I won't distribute distros...

Now one more single question: How can I change the language for the LiveCD?
Davy Bartoloni

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

Lone_Rifle wrote:Ask Davy Bartolini.
stop. joking. with. my. last name.

workd like "angry" , "don't want" can only remove users and devs from this project.
it would be better to use them with more 'parsimony.
some ReactOS-developer who don't want to see distributions of ReactOS
really? "some" devs are also rewriting " from scratch" the rules of MS?

recently, other words like "trademark", "signature", "approved" are become on the world of ReactOS, worlds that i never heared on other GPL projects.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

theuserbl wrote:That you have to ask Davy Bartolini was sarkasm by Lone_Rifle.
No it's not. btw Davy, I typoed. sorry.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

theuserbl: Don't presume what the project's official stance is. The developers have their own respective positions and opinions, but they are not representative of the project as a while. We may not like the notion of ROS distros, but we won't go out of our way to stop them. That's for the market to decide.

Davy: Calm down. Also, I will point out that we are not the only ones that are very strict with the usage of our trademark and logos. Red Hat, Debian, and Firefox are three that come to mind and that have been involved in spats regarding usage of their trademarks, and all three are major projects/companies.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

vicmarcal wrote:
theuserbl wrote: The point is, that there are some ReactOS-developer who don't want to see distributions of ReactOS. The license allowes it, but they are angry, if they see distributions.
This is not Real at all. I know some of them who likes Distributions.Btw Bartoloni is the best who can point you to modify ReactOS since he is doing a Distro too. That´s all. :)
Yes it it, I certainly don't want to see people making distros. I'm not alone in this either
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Ged wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:
Yes it it, I certainly don't want to see people making distros. I'm not alone in this either
No, it isnt: "but they are angry, if they see distributions", this sentence seems to point to all the devs. The "some" of the first sentence seems to vanish and generalize in the second one.

Also the answer is a "STOP" signal, which isnt the position of the project.

And just as a final point to theuserbl , ReactOS-developers are one of the main points in this project, but there are others: translators,testers,web-designers,moderators and "users". And inside ReactOS Team there are a lot of different POVs.
Davy Bartoloni

Post by Davy Bartoloni »

sorry Lone.. recently i'm a bit nervous

by the way.. ReactIT on first versions are inappropriately definited a "Virtual-Distro "because all reactOS files are on it", but there isn't a real installer.. it was only a Shotted image (vmdk) of ReactOS+some apps.
now,
ReactIT is mainly a Firefox+vlc installer for ReactOS and REQUIRE the installation of the original ReactOS , only ntoskrnl,shell32, and explorer are replaced ( sources of changes to this files are on reactit_src.zip archive. )

I often say that reactit is ONLY a way to try "advanced" ( advanced for now ) features on Reactos.. like JPG Mp3 DIVX THEMES and 3D
probably the same things that PetruDimitriu want to do.. or Vicmarcal want to do by the Goldenapps projects

Yes, there are some (temporary) freeware apps ( selfmade ) on ReactIT , for the management of the startup sound, or for a fast playing of an mp3 using mplayer... but no component of REACTOS are replaced(overwritten) by this freeware apps, ( i moved my imageviewer on ReactOS directory to prevent any confusion with the ufficial image viewer )

well.. i love ReactOS, and every day i talk to many people about this great project... and i'm very happy when a new commit appear... and ReactiT is only a way to demonstrate the ReactOS potential to these people
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Davy Bartoloni wrote: Yes, there are some (temporary) freeware apps ( selfmade ) on ReactIT , for the management of the startup sound, or for a fast playing of an mp3 using mplayer... but no component of REACTOS are replaced by this freeware apps, ( i moved my imageviewer on ReactOS directory to prevent any confusion with the ufficial image viewer )
Noone has complained about it. :)
If your apps dont use GPL code,then you dont need to release it openly. :)
And about the Copyright, indeed the Free Software Foundation talks about copyright:
"If you think you see a violation of the GNU GPL, LGPL, AGPL, or FDL, the first thing you should do is double-check the facts:
(...)
If there seems to be a real violation, the next thing you need to do is record the details carefully:
how the license was violated:

* Is the copyright notice of the copyright holder included?
* Is the source code completely missing?
(..)
The more of these details that you have, the easier it is for the copyright holder to pursue the matter."

Also there is a nice detail:
If the copyright holder is the Free Software Foundation, please send the report to <license-violation@gnu.org>. It's important that we be able to write back to you to get more information about the violation or product.
And this quote will kidnap the dreams of some people:
Note that the GPL, and other copyleft licenses, are copyright licenses. This means that only the copyright holders are empowered to act against violations. The FSF acts on all GPL violations reported on FSF copyrighted code, and we offer assistance to any other copyright holder who wishes to do the same.
So GPL is a copyright licence. ;)

The issue isnt the COPYRIGHT word but the (ab)use when using it.And ReactOS is pretty GPL in this case.

PS:And yes..i abused too much of the copyright word in this post :)
theuserbl

Post by theuserbl »

Ok, then sorry @ vicmarcal and Davy.
Then I was wrong that all or the most developer are againt distributions.

I personally like distributions. For example so people can inegrate new features or other icons in a distribution and all peoeple can then have a look at it and could be decide, if it is nice and will be integrated in the main-reactos or not.

Even though I am also someone who can not understand, why the Freeware programs by Davy in ReactIT can not OpenSource.
Users of ReactOS are mostly OpenSource-fans. And how can an OpenSource-fan prefer for its own programs a Freeware license over an OpenSource-License?
And if he is not an OpenSource-fan: Which other advantage have ReactOS over Windows, other then it is OpenSource?
The price can't it be. Because Windows 7 RC1 is free of charche for download and so.

Greatings
theuserbl