ReiserFS for ReactOS & Windows -- Full Source Code

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Should ReiserFS be the ReactOS de facto filesystem driver while keeping FAT and others as optional?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 142

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

I answer steveh question first.
does Reactos at this moment support classic "ext2" or not? I see that there is an "ext2" directory in the build tree, with a series of driver component sources, but reactos ignores my linux ext2 logical partitions.
It is ment to ignores ext2 partitions unless asked to mount them. Basicly reactos has to be told to mount ext2. Main reason is so it does not interface with a ext3 or stuff up a linux partition.

Other problem I cannot remember if the boot loader supports booting on ext2. I don't think it does.

Question ever used Knoppix elekrik. I think its not common for me to do a lot of fixs from the command line when you have a file manager. It would autodetect and mount the resiers and provide access to it from a graphical enviroment..

I am not kidding. This is only ment to be a sort term fix until a boot reactos cdrom can be built that works with most hardware and command line access if you want it. Most users can use Knoppix better to fix a computer than using the standard windows command line.

StopTCPA2 wrote:
I do not think that NTFS prevents from viruses & worms & spyware.
NTFS provides all the methords to reduce the effectiveness of viruses and worms. If setup with the right tools could even stop spyware from working without removing it. What I mean is if you setup a user for the internet and a user for normal work correctly(Microsoft Windows this is a 48 hour up hill battle) A virus gets into the internet account the machine in NTFS the virus is only in the internet account and cannot damage or effect the virus scanner. The one on FAT32 it could be anywhere in the system even take out the virus scanner this happens alot more often than anyone would think..

Spyware. Sections of spyware install without user permission while user is browser the net or so on autoinstallers. Security set right they go to install and are stoped due to user not being able to install. This only works on NTFS. A Fat install does not prevent this. Add better tools with NTFS and we will have a Spyware control system Ie installing in this mode all added autorun features or connect to the internet will be blocked because the program will be install as untrusted user also access to large sections of the system could be put off limits to the program Ie no snooping of the brower cache or anything else..

Why Fat32 is no longer acceptable. No user seperation no means of protection of programs not in use or parts of programs not in use. Or users access other users account without permission.

Information on Reiserfs from the creater http://www.namesys.com/ Its heavy going and not complete the complete is in the code with linux at current time. NTFS what complete spec there are none all have to be worked out the hardway. Best spec stop is the linux NTFS driver.

Both code is less than 10 megs.
Sarocet

Post by Sarocet »

oiaohm wrote:I answer steveh question first.
if you setup a user for the internet and a user for normal work correctly(Microsoft Windows this is a 48 hour up hill battle)
Are you joking? Who do you tjink will be changing accounts only to surf the net? If there are the dad and the kid's accounts, maybe but users will go on being unresponsible. The important is not the FS strenght but user's common sense. I have never had a virus although I work on Fat32. My HardDisk is compatible with almost any SO and I'm happy with that.
Of course ROS must give the chance of protecting itself for conscience users but we have to admit that they will continue with unsecure practises. However, we can't try to obly them to use what we think is better. They'd search anyone else to use their computer irresponsible.

oiaohm wrote: The one on FAT32 it could be anywhere in the system even take out the virus scanner this happens alot more often than anyone would think..
Are you sure? To delete the virus scanner the program must not be executing. It would need to kill the task before and if the v. scanner is running as System, admin or whatever and the virus is on a limited account it can't stop it. Moreover, it can't even putting it into HKLM to run at bootup. (It would need to do it on HKLU, so only one account would run it).

oiaohm wrote: Why Fat32 is no longer acceptable. No user seperation no means of protection of programs not in use or parts of programs not in use. Or users access other users account without permission.
Many users doesn't know even that the 'Documents and Settings' folder exists. If you make it hidden system and also other user's folder (i.e. Documents and settings\Oiahom, Documents and settings\Sarocet, etc.) many people will get fooled. If you want to protect a file you can always use PGP or make a virtual HD to store key protected files. Even on a Zip!
This does not prevent deletings but make an experienced user able to protect himself from less-knowing other users. You can even have your data into a Recycled subfolder and windows won't see it!! (you can mount it with soubst, but no more). So security is avalaible on any FS. It is more difficult on Fat but any OS that doesn't allow Fat is a bad OS. It's the easiest and well-known FS to use.

By the way, if everybody were so clever that didn't have these problems, what would you being working at?
Please, don't influence this project with your work troubles. You have some ideas because your experience, but other people can see it on another way (more objective, i think) :P
We will have to remix all. ReactOS is the project of ALL OF US. Long life to ReactOS!!
elektrik

Post by elektrik »

oiaohm wrote:Question ever used Knoppix elekrik. I think its not common for me to do a lot of fixs from the command line when you have a file manager. It would autodetect and mount the resiers and provide access to it from a graphical enviroment..

I am not kidding. This is only ment to be a sort term fix until a boot reactos cdrom can be built that works with most hardware and command line access if you want it. Most users can use Knoppix better to fix a computer than using the standard windows command line.
Answer: That question is irrelevant-we're not talking about Knoppix, we're talking about Windows-or a clone thereof; With a target audience of Microsoft Windows users, who are accustomed to doing things a certain way with certain commands and who are familiar with said command prompt.

Secondly, you never once stated in your previous posts that you were suggesting a "short term fix". I suppose that would be possible, but depending on the man hours involved also possibly unnecessary, since ReactOS is still in the Alpha stage.

The main thing to remember here, with any solution is that the end user "thinks" that it's windows - even if we're using a completely different file system entirely; This means "windows" even down to the command prompt, etc. as much as possible (IMHO of course).
StopTCPA2

Reiser & NTFS & security & viruses

Post by StopTCPA2 »

Sarocet wrote:
I have never had a virus although I work on Fat32. My HardDisk is compatible with almost any SO and I'm happy with that.
So do I. With almost any OS, not SO.

But I know some XP-NTFS users having to desinfect their machine
regulary and finding always viruses at this occasion. Remember SASSER ?
Infected the "most secure" XP & NTFS, leaved "obsolete" W98 & ME with
FAT32 intact.

Sarocet wrote:
So security is avalaible on any FS. It is more difficult on Fat but any OS that doesn't allow Fat is a bad OS. It's the easiest and well-known FS to use.
YES. Just encrypt & HASH-protect your files. :-)
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Sarocet
Are you joking? Who do you tjink will be changing accounts only to surf the net?
No I am not. I deal alot with home business machines this is normal.
Customer records are verry important.
Dads and kids accounts can be done too but it still take 48 hours of tinkering to get the stuff controled. You don't need filesharing Msn and other internet related programs having complete access to the user accounts or the system dlls. You don't need any other program updating the virus scanner/firewall other than the programs that are ment to. Hmm delete the signatures file and replace it with a blank one change the download site so the virus scanner does not update nice what virus I know of no such virus. This is nasty and one of the common methords of disabling a antivirus program.

You have been lucky or your machine has been well protected. There is 4 common ways to take out a virus scanner.
One kill the process infect the anti-virus program restart anti-virus Yep is now a virus spreader not a anti-virus Hmm have I infected that file yet.
Two remove information the virus scanner need to work ie signatures
Three disable is means of updating the update programs are not running all the time.
Four trick the user into removing it.

The scanner might be running but is only as good as it last update. When I say take out I don't mean delete I mean criple.
Many users doesn't know even that the 'Documents and Settings' folder exists.
Recent virus comes to mind know the one that hunts down word documents and encrypts them. It does not need to know Documents and Settings folder it will search any folder it can access yep ever user on a fat32. Its not nice now if you antivirus was cripled or not updated it would have free rain on a fat32 every user has lost their documents.

Experienced user know that encryption only protects from humans not virus some viruses will just delete files So encryption is no help if another user can just delete the file.

StopTCPA2
But I know some XP-NTFS users having to desinfect their machine
regulary and finding always viruses at this occasion. Remember SASSER ?
Infected the "most secure" XP & NTFS, leaved "obsolete" W98 & ME with
FAT32 intact.
XP and FAT32 installs are attacked just as bad by SASSER.
Note if reactos had the same security flaw it would run SASSER its a NT clone it attacked all NT class os's with the flaw.

No matter how good security there will be the old virus that slips threw the net. The question is will the run of the mill ones slip threw. Just becaue W98 & ME where lucky not to be targeted does not mean they could not been.

Most common virues are the mass mailing or filesharing transfer viruses or messaging at the moment. Some of these can be beaten by good security lot can be contained by good security. Question what does MSN need to access. Current infection I wonder if containment of MSN would stop the infection from getting to the core of the system. Most viruses ask to access DLL or parts of the system that the infected program never would normally access so if the filesystem blocks access to the dlls the firewall block access to the other parts of the system the virus gets in and kinda cannot do much bar attack its current account.

Basicly secuirty is built from five parts.
Filesystem is used to protect the software doing the defence from damage and stoping programs from accessing parts they don't normally require.
Scanners(anti-virus programs, spyware searchs...)
Firewall stop incorrect access to networks or ports on the system.
updates repair faults in os.
and backups when all of the fail.

No security system is perfect. But fat32 has no where to store the required information to let the filesystem defend the OS.

While windows lacks the means for users to protect it from the filesystem level Windows will always be virus prone. Because the filesystem will alway provide a weekness that a virus programmer can attack.
YES. Just encrypt & HASH-protect your files.
I just love encryption(kidding)
I really hate it do you know how many times I am asked to crack it open because a person lost the key.

Filesystem secuirty can always be overriden by a boot disk. Encrytion has to be cracked. High the encryption the longer the time. Sometimes to long to take on . zip files are about 8 hours if you have a clue what in side.

Serous question do any of you repair other people computers in any large numbers.

elektrik
The funny part is they are use to doing thing particaly ways. So are linux personal.
Common aliases on a linux system from a new windows user.
alias move=mv
alias copy=cp
alias del=rm
alias chdir=cd
alias deltree=rm -r
alias type=cat
Just got to love the alias command. Search user account for any of above and spot the linux user who has not made the transfer to short commands.
In future yes reactos will have to create its own resuce disks but reiser does not provide a problem. NTFS does since not all linux boot disks can access it.
I think you miss understood me here. In future yes reactos will have to create its own resuce disks. Early linux use rescue disks from dos to other unixs to fix itself untill the code stablized. So go threw the linux line we use knoppix for now because its stable but when reactos comes of age its own boot cdrom will take over. This exists the boot cdrom to try out reactos is the future rescue disk basicly a Windows XP Portable Execution enviroment just got to love corp editions makes repairing systems alot simpler and the reason why pebuilder exists why suffer with a non graphical. Latter on cut back floppy versions can be considerd. Reason for considering Linux boot disks as a stable repair platform is not all users have windows and the tools for windows don't exist yet for reiser that are usefull. Even for NTFS linux boot disks are more help. This is important you might want to get and see what reactos stuffup to destroy the filesystem before windows screws with it.

We are talking a OS under development placing hard and fast rules on what can and cannot be used to rescue the system based on compad with one line of OS's will only reduce options and cause unrequired overhead on developers. As long as when the game is complete reactos is self standing with its own install system its own rescue system and its own security while still able to run windows applications and drivers the rest is really not important. If reactos works and works well. Who will care if it runs on reiser or what it runs on as long as it works. Only think I say is not fat because I cannot see how to store the information to provide security without killing the operating system speed. I would welcome anyone to prove me wrong with a working prototype.

My question about knoppix was not irrelevant. If you could use knoppix to get around and not have any problems with it you really don't have a problem. This is just more than suitable for the development verson repair disk of reiser. Most windows users can use knoppix without problems just click on the big k in a gear after its loaded. Thats the start menu.

I am thinking my target group. We have a group working on a stable boot cdrom we have a group working on a stable install cdrom. So we have everything brewing away. So develop the filesystem drive does not need to place any more load on boot cdrom group. When a off the shelf fixs the problem for now.
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

One potential problem I can see is trying to align *nix-style group and user permissions with Reactos ones. Without unlocking all the common files between OS'es then aligning them will require - because the information is locked to the person/group permissions - a sync up of user/group account information. I hadn't really thought about this until now.
Go Huskers!
steveh

Mount a partition?

Post by steveh »

@oiaohm

Concerning my question about ext2, and your answer:

Can you tell me pls how to mount an "ext2" partiton, in Reactos?

And is it also possible to mount an "ntfs" partition with the ntfs driver existing now, READ-ONLY of course?
elektrik

Post by elektrik »

oiaohm wrote:elektrik
The funny part is they are use to doing thing particaly ways. So are linux personal.
alias move=mv
alias copy=cp
alias del=rm
alias chdir=cd
alias deltree=rm -r
alias type=cat
Just got to love the alias command. Search user account for any of above and spot the linux user who has not made the transfer to short commands.
I'm aware of some linux commands, and I'm also aware of the alias command, but I also know that you have to "set" them up (which, admittedly is not a big deal); Again, and for the last time to make my point, the user must not "think" he's using any command prompt other than windows. If you want to use alias, fine, but the "look and feel" must be the same, and I can definitely tell you for sure that, for better or worse, fdisk in linux looks nothing like fdisk in linux, nor do the inputs for the commands for just about any command you have listed.
elektrik

Post by elektrik »

oiaohm wrote:elektrik
alias move=mv
alias copy=cp
alias del=rm
alias chdir=cd
alias deltree=rm -r
alias type=cat
I'm aware of some linux commands, and I'm also aware of the alias command, but I also know that you have to "set" them up (which, admittedly is not a big deal); Again, and for the last time to make my point, the user must not "think" he's using any command prompt other than windows. If you want to use alias, fine, but the "look and feel" must be the same, and I can definitely tell you for sure that, for better or worse, fdisk in linux looks nothing like fdisk in windows, nor do the inputs for the commands for just about any command you have listed.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

steveh sorry to pass the buck but I just went and looked at the ext2 driver its been rewriten from the last time I used it. So not really game to give instructions in case what I tell you is wrong. Most IFS drivers require assignment of the partition to a drive or folder. Reactos does this automaticly for fat32. And the driver loaded. Default installs of reactos do not load the ntfs driver or the ext2 driver yep this is required for this to work. Yes you have to manuallly turn them on. Basicly I would guess the methrod to use the ntfs driver and ext2 driver would be simpler if not the same. This these drivers are still in development starge ntfs is readonly don't know the state of the internel ext2 drivers external ones are read write. Format and maintance tools for ext2 can be obtained for windows.

MadRat
Syncing will not happen on every system or I hope not.
Linux should not have that big of problem it should be extend one to two tools to support reactos. http://sourceforge.net/projects/w2lmt/ Lovely project. Lacking is a sync in the other direction currently in development. And this only really need to sync the user/groups. I would guess that reactos admin and linux root would share the same user number.

As long as the windows permissions don't fight with to baddy with linux ie no mounting of linux / /usr or any where else under the protection of selinux or dependent to linux core secuirty. /boot would be a exception.
A dazuko module (http://www.dazuko.org/)for linux or reiserfs plugin or equal should solve the sync problem yep make the part work inside linux as it would in windows.

The module could have to handle minor faults ie new files lacking creatation dates and so on even than the dazuko addon could be creating them and so on.

Linux is expandable and if it does not fit expand it a bit. This will not harm linux long term. It will improve linux long term new feature comes from new filesystem interface if liked become standard over time.

Basicly I don't see it as a show stopper the flex of linux should be able to take what ever reactos servers up as long as it does not screw with the core. Note I would keep Linux only home directory for Reactos Users just from a safety point of view KDE or Gnome might get a little upset on windows permissions.

elektrik How can I put this. Look and Feel at the end will be exactly the same. Reason Reactos will have it own resuce disk most likely built from the boot cdrom that is used now. So the rescue disk will be a Windows NT class OS so no DOS requirement.

The important point now is that developers can rescue disk of some form and work out why reactos stuffed up. knoppix and other linux disks will fill this section.

fdisk and windows fdisk are different you say. Freedos Fdisk is as about as complex and the linux one. User will have a learning curve either way.

Reason knoppix or linux boot disk is a crutch untill reactos come of age and has it own disk. You don't walk perfectly with a crutch but you can walk. So I would not spend any more work on it that maybe a simple guide. ie a few alias and this is how you fdisk from knoppix this is how you fix the mbr from knoppix and that is about it. Basicly knoppix is for the developers only and finshing it is not worth the time. Final users will have the reactos rescue disk.

You are expecting perfect. Perfect from my mind is a working Windows PE disk. Not the command line to repair the system. So using Dos to repair reactos is a verry limited fix. No graphical access to fix registry No graphical access to run any windows anti-virus software... The list go on and on. Basicly I don't give a stuff about the dos command line. My Windows PE disk runs bash and other unix addons so mv cp rm cd cat are normal. Please just except for some of us dos style command line is dead and handing as a rescue system that cannot take the envirment we use just drives us nuts. I love being able to alias like this
alias searchtxt="function search {for x in *.txt; do echo %x; cat -n %x|grep %1;done};search"

Dos is too limited to do half the stuff I would try to ask it to do. You might say batch file some cases I have over 50 custom aliases loaded and they all come from one file. Batch files get verry messy and are verry limited. Only lacking feature from bash is no goto statement but I can live without that when I have functions.
The best system for all is the working a Reactos PE disk so if you wish to use the windows style command line you can and if I want to say go to hell dos I can more compad for all users. Also a Reactos PE disk will be compad with any filesystem Reactos decides to support.

Ie dos for me is most likely as bad as knoppix for you both are incompad.
elektrik

Post by elektrik »

elektrik How can I put this. Look and Feel at the end will be exactly the same. Reason Reactos will have it own resuce disk most likely built from the boot cdrom that is used now. So the rescue disk will be a Windows NT class OS so no DOS requirement.
How can you say a prompt will have the "look and feel" of the current MS implementation if the command line arguments are different??
The important point now is that developers can rescue disk of some form and work out why reactos stuffed up. knoppix and other linux disks will fill this section.

fdisk and windows fdisk are different you say. Freedos Fdisk is as about as complex and the linux one. User will have a learning curve either way.
You just don't get it-you keep comparing other, non MS solutions to something that is trying to be a *clone* of Windows...

As for developers using a rescue disk-why would I care/comment about that now? I'm only speaking of terms in the future of RELEASE code. Developers can use a hammer and a chisel to get their data in an emergency for all I care...
Reason knoppix or linux boot disk is a crutch untill reactos come of age and has it own disk. You don't walk perfectly with a crutch but you can walk. So I would not spend any more work on it that maybe a simple guide. ie a few alias and this is how you fdisk from knoppix this is how you fix the mbr from knoppix and that is about it. Basicly knoppix is for the developers only and finshing it is not worth the time. Final users will have the reactos rescue disk.
/

See my comments above
You are expecting perfect. Perfect from my mind is a working Windows PE disk. Not the command line to repair the system. So using Dos to repair reactos is a verry limited fix. No graphical access to fix registry No graphical access to run any windows anti-virus software... The list go on and on. Basicly I don't give a stuff about the dos command line. My Windows PE disk runs bash and other unix addons so mv cp rm cd cat are normal. Please just except for some of us dos style command line is dead and handing as a rescue system that cannot take the envirment we use just drives us nuts. I love being able to alias like this
alias searchtxt="function search {for x in *.txt; do echo %x; cat -n %x|grep %1;done};search"

Dos is too limited to do half the stuff I would try to ask it to do. You might say batch file some cases I have over 50 custom aliases loaded and they all come from one file. Batch files get verry messy and are verry limited. Only lacking feature from bash is no goto statement but I can live without that when I have functions.
The best system for all is the working a Reactos PE disk so if you wish to use the windows style command line you can and if I want to say go to hell dos I can more compad for all users. Also a Reactos PE disk will be compad with any filesystem Reactos decides to support.

Ie dos for me is most likely as bad as knoppix for you both are incompad
Have you ever used Windows NT/2k/XP? I'm not even *talking* about DOS!! I'm talking about a system rescue disk, not the DOS operating system. Windows 2k and above provide a way to boot from the CD-ROM which provides a "DOS-like" prompt to access their data on NTFS/FAT32 partitions. I am *only* referring to this type of system and even then I am only speaking in terms of a RELEASE (let's repeat that since you don't seem to understand-I'm speaking in terms of a RELEASE to the general public, not a developer's, alpha, beta or even RC version!). Since the goal of ReactOS is to emulate MS's O.S. then this part of it isn't unreasonable to emulate.

Put up a poll asking how many people think having a Windows clone with a rescue disk that makes people use Linux commands/arguments makes sense and see what I mean.

Anyhow....nuff said (clearly we have differences on "look and feel")
chris319

Post by chris319 »

elektrik is right. It doesn't matter what an isolated user can do, is capable of doing or has done on his system. What IS important is what the user base expects. In the case of ROS we're talking about Mom and Pop Windows users who expect a Windows-like OS.
oiaohm

The livecd of reactos will be the resuce disk.

Post by oiaohm »

I my mind the windows command inline is just a copy of dos.

I was refering to tools for developers at current time. Furture time the resuce disk will most likely be built out of the reactos live cd. In the style I am use to. Windows PE disks the corprate fix. I will not suffer fix of the command line version normally hand up to home users Heck they have to know the dos commands to get around this should not be required really this is only so they call techs to fix stuff. Nice help file on the PE disk that walks them threw the common fixs lot less pain.

The resuce system you are refering to will not have a problem driver for filesystem and provide some why of mounting parts other than that everything is normal.

Reason why my PE disk runs Bash is personal choice and make my live ten times simpler. I work on a Linux or a Mac and most UNIXs command line its bash. My PE disk bash I don't have to change my commands just because I changed computers.

Basicly a graphical rescue disk 90% of the time with a contruction tool like PE builder provided so that user can customise there own. And command line of their own selection. If they are a linux user/Mac User/Unix User bash is far more friendly if they are a Windows user Dos might be more effective. Please note microsoft does provide the Bash addon its not a extra feature from else where as part of posix compad.

This does not need to go to the vote to choose between them. Reactos really should not force users to use anything. The two dominate style command lines are Dos style and Bash the user should have the right to both and use what suits them. Also the commandline should not be the only selection to fix a OS. These are Windows Users 90% have to call a tech or someone to fix there computer because they don't have a clue how to use the commandline. Providing only a commandline of some form is really kicking 90% of the people in the teeth.

Part Making can be done by a tool like Qparted. Boot sector restore can be done by another graphical tool or built into that one. Regedit can be done by the normal Regedit tool as long as it can be targeted to the system being repaired. Looking around the file system can be done by ros explorer. What reason would a user have to go to the command line for other than custom scripting. Basicly DOS is dead there is no reason to use the Windows Commandline in 99% of case to repear the system. Only reason I could even think of a reason is a verry incompad video card.

Please get and make yourself a PE disk and wake up to the fact that a correctly built PE disk beats the command line fix of windows and allows quicker and simper fixing of the system. You can only get these from Microsoft if you have a corprate licence other wise you have to roll your own using the barts pe builder. Knoppix and Linux rescue disks are built along the same lines as a true PE disks. You don't need the command line.
elektrik

Post by elektrik »

This does not need to go to the vote to choose between them. Reactos really should not force users to use anything. The two dominate style command lines are Dos style and Bash the user should have the right to both and use what suits them. Also the commandline should not be the only selection to fix a OS. These are Windows Users 90% have to call a tech or someone to fix there computer because they don't have a clue how to use the commandline. Providing only a commandline of some form is really kicking 90% of the people in the teeth.
So let's make something *else* they're completely clueless about-wow, you're smart ;-)
Part Making can be done by a tool like Qparted. Boot sector restore can be done by another graphical tool or built into that one. Regedit can be done by the normal Regedit tool as long as it can be targeted to the system being repaired. Looking around the file system can be done by ros explorer. What reason would a user have to go to the command line for other than custom scripting. Basicly DOS is dead there is no reason to use the Windows Commandline in 99% of case to repear the system. Only reason I could even think of a reason is a verry incompad video card.

Please get and make yourself a PE disk and wake up to the fact that a correctly built PE disk beats the command line fix of windows and allows quicker and simper fixing of the system. You can only get these from Microsoft if you have a corprate licence other wise you have to roll your own using the barts pe builder. Knoppix and Linux rescue disks are built along the same lines as a true PE disks. You don't need the command line.
I have 2 PE disks thank you very much, but yet again, you've completely missed my point-and very possibly the point of ReactOS as well. Their aim (if I may be so bold as to assume their aim) is 100% windows compatibility-nothing more, nothing less. To change any part of that would be failing that goal, plain and simple (regardless of your and my debate on "DOS" command lines)

Also, you tell me how useful Linux would be without the command line? You may not like it (in admittedly, sometimes I don't either), but there *are* powerful things that can be done in the Windows "DOS" command line...
oiaohm

Electrik you and I have completely different sides of coin

Post by oiaohm »

Lots of linux boxs depend on stuff like webmin so I don't need to go near the command line.

A linux box is just as useful with or without the command line. Note I would not recommend delete bash from a linux system because in most cases the system will not boot. Yep bash is the script that loads all the services and starts the graphical enviroment. Basicly deleting bash is equal to deleting the windows command line and the access to the registry on startup

Basicly Unless coding where scripting the command line is extreamly handy for this.

I never use commandline for recovery more than once. Reason feature gets added to a graphical tool of some form.

Bash can be provided for Windows without problems. 10% about of people are techs or able to use a commandline. In most cases more people linux personal are more skill at commandline level than windows users. Not always. Some linux techs are almost completely useless on the commandline. There notes are mainly how to I install my repair tool to get to graphical.

100% windows compad. :) you really do mean 100% or do you only mean the Microsoft part. Standard feature of Windows is POSIX addon part of this addon has bash support. I am not asking for anything more than what is require to get 100% windows compad. Bash support is require to get development system of POSIX to work. And since it will be required anyhow provide it to techs.
Powerful things that can be done from the Windows "DOS" command line...

Yes but why are they on the command line. Should they not be provided in the form that most users use. The GUI. And should not they be provided with the most tech compad ie Windows "DOS" and bash. Please note anything that is a .exe like net ipconfig and. Is runable inside the bash enviroment. Basicly drop alot of the addons and compare the scripting and DOS is stuffed. Reason why wsh was created but just like microsoft to stuff that up with lack of secuirty.
So let's make something *else* they're completely clueless about-wow, you're smart
This is totally not required. I know that user around 90% users don't know command line. And in more cases than not, linux/Mac personal have to repair windows so why not make it simpler if you require to program anyhow for other sections of compad.

100% compadable means it will run all Windows applications and software. Posix based software is part of this. Note 100% compadable does not have to be done the same way.

Freebsd is linux compad around 99.9 percent of all linux applications and growning(it will make 100% one day). Note it runs its own programs as well. Freebsd programs are not Linux compad and will never be any time soon.

Changing any part that will not break compad. Ie provide a different command line for other users does not break compad.

Providing Extra features does not break compad. if program or driver will not run and cannot be made run on the os because of a added feature this breaks compad. Does not break the rules of cloning a OS to add features. Heck we would not have Bois chips without cloning and we would not have flash bios hardware optimising bois sections. You don't understand 100% compad does not mean 100% the same.

There is no point cloning a OS if you are not going to provide some extra features or fixed up features..