ReiserFS for ReactOS & Windows -- Full Source Code

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Should ReiserFS be the ReactOS de facto filesystem driver while keeping FAT and others as optional?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 142

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Winfs is discontinued by Microsoft. But SQLServer has picked up its parts. Problems still might come from this.

Also reactos don't have to. Beagle from Gnome and other systems like this from Linux/BSD can be ported into reactos. Yes lot of development on linux has prepaired for going head to head with Winfs. All these systems have been developed expecting posix with xattr systems. The translator is very important not only to filesystems. It provides access to more features and simpler porting of somethings.

ReiserFS has speed yes. Ext3 has builting feature adding without breaking compad to badly handy if for some reason Reactos has to add something. Ie Ext3 is based on Ext2 and Ext4 if it ever lands will be based on Ext3. Yet all the Ext drivers are read compad. Write required fixs most likely not causing major data loss.

ReiserFS 3 is not compad with ReiserFS 4. Altering it can be verry tricky.

Ext2/3 Make a good place to workout if windows permissions can be made work without major alterations. Because if major alterations are required they can be done to Ext2/3. The interface parts to Ext2/3 will be the same interface parts ReiserFS 4 will require.

Both have there advantages.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

ReiserFS, I'd be iffy about. Had experiences with that on a fairly decent computer. That computer ended up being insanely slow. Reiser4, is a hell of a better idea. ZFS, a debate about this happened in another section that degenerated into an NTFS/ext2/3/whatever debate that I doubt anyone wants to restart. However, the beginning of that thread did raise some valid points about the viability of ZFS right now.

Granted I'm a believer in choice, let's not go overboard here. Ext2/3 is likely to be used because it is the default for many Linux distributions, and it is a decent filesystem. Reiser4 is certainly a very advanced filesystem and could be useful. Instead of approaching this as a 32-bit or 64-bit system, let's approach it from a what is this to be used for? A desktop would do fine with Ext2/3 while a server might want Reiser4. Heck, an email server might even benefit from Reiser3, though with 4 that's kinda pointless. Then there's the group that just want things to work. Those would likely be desktop users. If a default filesystem is going to be selected, I suggest careful thought be put into it, cause the casual desktop user won't know the difference between NTFS to ext3 to Reiser4. Heck, most of them don't know the difference between FAT and NTFS.

Speed is good and all, but not everyone is trying to max out their system and push it to the limits. So be rational and not use this opportunity to try and promote something beyond reason.

frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

"Ext4 Filesystem Development Plan Unveiled"
http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=15053

So we have another filesystem on our "radar".

Matthias

Post by Matthias »

All this discussion about file systems is completely pointless. There are few people skilled enough to write file system drivers, those people know about the existing file systems and their (dis)advantages. If you want to do something usefull, start porting the ReiserFS driver to ReactOS. But all this blabla is no good.

Coviti

Post by Coviti »

My solution for this:

If you want a new FS, then do it yourself, the devs are far too busy for this nonsense. FAT is perfectly acceptable, and ext3 and NTFS when they come along. I have grown so sick of all the FS and GUI suggestions, with nobody really interested in implementing them. Coding an FS driver is an extremely tedious and difficult task, and the developers just do not have the time or the desire to take on this task.

Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Coviti wrote:FAT is perfectly acceptable
No, but you got the main idea :). As long as nobody starts coding this is useless.

crhylove

Post by crhylove »

I agree with probably most of us when I say that just getting a working windows replacement out that is mostly compatible and mostly stable is the priority. Adding features like alternate file systems and such can be an exercise for the future.

rhY

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

To use most of the file system people keep on bringing up. The translator from posix with xattr to windows and back again is required.

Building a spec sheet on how to do this would be productive. Ie forget the filesystems work on the specs we need use them. ie the building blocks. 0.3.1 has to land before a lot of filesystem can be tested with reactos due to a few missing subsystem parts.

samwise52

READ ME

Post by samwise52 »

READ THIS POST TO GET ANWSERS TO YOUR QUESTION

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2487

Pythagoras1

Post by Pythagoras1 »

whatever.... :P

Last wednesday Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Eduard Glatz (the examinator of the reiser4xp project) forwarded my request to the developers. looks like that reiser4 support may come soon :D

Pythagoras1

Post by Pythagoras1 »

Finally I got response by the Reiser4 IFS devs

I put the current infos on the Wiki:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/F ... rFS#Status

doraimom

Post by doraimom »

hey guys. This topic is a little old, so I expect to hear some good news from you guys.

Is there any new IFS for windows that supports EXT3 with journaling or REISER4 (not Reiser 3!) for READ and WRITE.

So far I know these following project but they all lack something. One of them doesn't write just read, etc etc. They are: "Ext2 Installable File System For Windows", "Reiser Driver For Windows", "RFSTOOL", etc.

Thanks.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

No.

ROSFan

Post by ROSFan »

I voted "yes" but Reiser would also be fine.

FAT32 is:

-error-prone
-the filesize is limited to 4GB
-stone age, primitive
-must be defragmented very often
-very unflexible

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »