ReiserFS for ReactOS & Windows -- Full Source Code

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Should ReiserFS be the ReactOS de facto filesystem driver while keeping FAT and others as optional?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 142

ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

The problem most people have is that its _NOT_ backwards compatible with Windows and personally all ive heard about ReiserFS is bad news.

The thing about FS backwards compatability is say someone installs ReactOS, but they dont know much about File System drivers so they just install the default. What happens if they suddenly decide they want to go back to Windows?

Im not saying ReactOS shouldnt consider using another default FS. Just all things need to be considered first.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Backward compad is not a problem one you have a working driver. As long as the platform they choose is driver compad.

Windows might not be able to directly install it might have to be forced installed. As long as the driver works it will not be a problem.

ReiserFS is not completely bad news. Normally not used because how recent it is. Linux people seam to like file systems with plenty of age.
Pythagoras1

Post by Pythagoras1 »

tgc wrote:I would very much like to see reiser4 as an FS-option when installing ROS. But until someone actually starts impementing it, all this talk doesn't really matter....
START CODING!
I just found a Reiser4 file system porting project to Windows XP:

http://unix.hsr.ch/Studienarbeiten/WS05 ... _oberh.pdf

The PDF is german therefore I'll try to translate it:

In the recent years ReiserFS matured as one of the most important and best file systems for Linux. Specifically it became the default file system of the SuSE distribution.
With goal to allow access from Windows XP on dual boot PCs on Reiser4 partitions, a Reiser4 file system driver has been developed as part of a student research project.
According to the description of the Reiser4 file system and the documentation of Microsoft's
Installable File System Kit it was possible to port an open Reiser4 implementation for Linux to Windows XP and it's reading capabilities could be implemented completely and quite stable. Other driver interfaces have been realized so far they were needed for regular use under Windows.
Beside the driver software and the usual project documentation a complete analysis document about the functionality of Reiser4 and an overview about file system development for Windows has been made.

I think these three developers Josias Hosang, Oliver Kadlcek and Christian Oberholzer should be asked if they are interested in enhancing their IFS driver by contributing to ReactOS too.

I am using Reiser4 with Gentoo on my AMD64 notebook for nearly one year and I'm impressed how fast and stable it is (in contrast to ReiserFS 3). Friends also tested it and they also told me the best about it. Anyway I would focus on implementing Reiser4 and not ReiserFS 3 because further development of V.3 has been stopped and right now Reiser4 supersedes its predecessor almost everywhere (only the online repacker and file system resizer are still missing).
frik85
Developer

Post by frik85 »

Pythagoras1 wrote:I just found a Reiser4 file system porting project to Windows XP:

http://unix.hsr.ch/Studienarbeiten/WS05 ... _oberh.pdf
Sounds good.

Currently, we know only from a ReiserFS (3) and Ext2 driver for WinNT4+, which will propably be part of ReactOS 0.3.1+.
Although, Reiser(FS) 4 would great.
Pythagoras1 wrote:The PDF is german therefore I'll try to translate it:
[...]
I read the original PDF file :wink:
Pythagoras1 wrote:I think these three developers Josias Hosang, Oliver Kadlcek and Christian Oberholzer should be asked if they are interested in enhancing their IFS driver by contributing to ReactOS too.
Do you know if the source code is available and under which license?
Or any contact information.
I found only the following contact info:
http://unix.hsr.ch/kontakt.html
Pythagoras1 wrote:[...] I am impressed how fast and stable it is (in contrast to ReiserFS 3). [...] Anyway I would focus on implementing Reiser4 and not ReiserFS 3 because further development of V.3 has been stopped and right now Reiser4 supersedes its predecessor almost everywhere.
The information (on namesys.com) about Reiser4 looks very promising.
Although, afaik Reiser4 is licensed under MIT license :cry:
Pythagoras1

Post by Pythagoras1 »

frik85 wrote:[...]
Do you know if the source code is available and under which license?
Or any contact information.
I found only the following contact info:
http://unix.hsr.ch/kontakt.html

[...]

The information (on namesys.com) about Reiser4 looks very promising.
Although, afaik Reiser4 is licensed under MIT license :cry:
it's GPL'ed:
/usr/src/linux/fs/reiser4/README wrote:[LICENSING]

Reiser4 is hereby licensed under the GNU General
Public License version 2.
i did not find more detailed contact information too, maybe we need to ask over some corners ;)
NOX86

Post by NOX86 »

Lets forget NTFS as a idea. Make sure We have a readonly driver that works. Make sure reactos can use the Microsoft NTFS driver.
And Make us have another filesystem that supports what we require
agreed
bratao

Post by bratao »

Currently, we know only from a ReiserFS (3) and Ext2 driver for WinNT4+, which will propably be part of ReactOS 0.3.1+.
Although, Reiser(FS) 4 would great.
Please add only one file system, preffered is Reiser4 bacause its faster and new.

add so many filesystem , start to make reactos bloatware !

We need Fat(its a standary) , ntfs(we need to be windows compatible, people will change from windows ,and really will like to acess their files) ans a linux and a newer faster fs (reiser 4 !)

More than this is bloat, and maybe can be supported by Distribuitions
keytotime

Post by keytotime »

Even MS wanted to abandon NTFS. So my choices of a File system would be
ZFS for 64bit ReactOS
Reiser4 for 32bit ReactOS
bratao

Post by bratao »

keytotime wrote:Even MS wanted to abandon NTFS. So my choices of a File system would be
ZFS for 64bit ReactOS
Abandon NTFS ?
I really do´t know this, here you see this ???

In Lastest Vista beta, NTFS still the only starndary with FAT
TiKu

Post by TiKu »

At first Microsoft wanted to replace NTFS with WinFS, then they decided to make WinFS a service on top of NTFS, now WinFS seems to be dead.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

keytotime wrote:Even MS wanted to abandon NTFS. So my choices of a File system would be
ZFS for 64bit ReactOS
I think it is a bad idea to have different ones for different types of the same version of ReactOS. They both have features close/different from NTFS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

ZFS may be stronger in some areas, but a few Reiser4 is too.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Ok the spec on Reiser4 on that site are minorly out. In metadata it should match Reiser3.

Zfs Reiser3 Reiser4 and Ext2/3 all need the same thing.

posix+xattr to and from Microsoft Filesystem attributes and permissions.

Lets work on solving the problem. How to get from posix+xattr to windows and windows to posix+xattr. With safety.

It the key to unlocking the option of 19 different filesystems. I think worry about the problem. The translator not what filesystems do what. With the translator porting many filesystems to Reactos become a lot simpler. The rough wraper like what is in the NTFS driver around a linux driver might even do it.

Current included filesystems will do as a testing ground. Its the translator is what is the blocker and the problem. Not really the filesystems.
Davy

Count me in...

Post by Davy »

I have no previous experience with the filesystem but by the sounds of it, it's a sound alternative so count me in on this one :)
Pythagoras1

Post by Pythagoras1 »

In the meantime I wrote a mail to Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Eduard Glatz (the examinator of the reiser4xp project) if the developers want to contribute to ReactOS. Let's see what's coming out ;)
coolkoon

Post by coolkoon »

TiKu wrote:At first Microsoft wanted to replace NTFS with WinFS, then they decided to make WinFS a service on top of NTFS, now WinFS seems to be dead.
The WinFS has been officially discontinued:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinFS#Development, which means there will be no such thing as WinFS, although its parts will be reused in other MS products.

Now I have a question: Is any of the Microsoft's NTFS drivers compatible with ReactOS (the NT3, NT4, 2000, XP etc.) or none at all? Because the most reasonable solution would be to include the read-only support in ReactOS's ntfs.sys file (by porting it from Linux), and then have the possibility to have it replaced by the Microsoft's original ntfs.sys driver (the most recent one, which would be the one in XP or Vista), thus gaining read-write support for licensed Windows users. It might be that I'm missing some more files that are needed for this, but IMHO that would be the most comfortable solution.
As for ReiserFS I have Fedora Linux on my PC (besides Windows) with ext3. However if it's really faster and more reliable that even the ext3fs (as many sources state so) then I think that waiting for a fully compatible NTFS driver would be a waste of time, and besides then ReactOS would gain a big advantage over Windows by using Reiser4: speed. And just imagine: won't be good to have an OS where most of your programs for Windows are faster? :wink: