The new Explorer

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

The123king

Re: The new Explorer

Post by The123king »

Still not the most awesome shell, but very much better :D:D:D

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

The123king wrote:Still not the most awesome shell, but very much better :D:D:D
Gimme this shell and i will be happy forever.
If anyone wants a fancier, he/she can download free XP Shells :)

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

OK, last thing it needs is uxtheme support under XP and i am happy ;-)
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

frmariam

Post by frmariam »

Hope you add the ability to order the tasks in the taskbar (Taskix is lite but it'd be better to have this natevelly).

And what about the actual file manager windows? Are you doing any work on this part? In this particular part I was hoping for a bit more than XP offers... I'd love multiple open folders in the same window, each one in its tab. Tabs that can be sorted in the tab bar, have an x button to close and have hotkeys (like when you press ALT+ENTER or ALT+doubleclick on a folder icon it opens in a new tab) and maybe some TabMixPlus like features (session manager, restore closed tab/window). This is something I always wanted in the explorer in XP but never found a good app (QtTabBar is not worth the resources it consumesin my old laptop... blast .NET).

gabrielilardi
Moderator Team

Post by gabrielilardi »

frmariam wrote:Hope you add the ability to order the tasks in the taskbar (Taskix is lite but it'd be better to have this natevelly).
That's already implemented in trunk :wink:

frmariam

Post by frmariam »

gabrielilardi wrote:
frmariam wrote:Hope you add the ability to order the tasks in the taskbar (Taskix is lite but it'd be better to have this natevelly).
Nice to know :)

Does it also have or is planned to have a windows rollup function (like WinRoll )?

FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Since when did the whole 'exactly like windows' moniker fly out the door?

FlyingIsFun1217

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

frmariam wrote:
gabrielilardi wrote:
Nice to know :)

Does it also have or is planned to have a windows rollup function (like WinRoll )?
Not part of Windows by default = won't be included in ROS.

frmariam

Post by frmariam »

Hey I just made a question that seemed to me perfectly valid (you can't say explorer has multipane window view in Windows). Also I was under the impression that ReactOS would do some overal improvements over what we have in Windows.

All of the items I asked about are not much diferent then the general improvements done on the file manager so far. Just simple UI and usability changes. It's not like I'm demanding anything. You don't need to jump the noob...

greenie

Post by greenie »

yay.
w3seek I am in your debt. I never thought this would work again. I also would have never found that.
It's good to see that it finally got some other attention as well like task switching.
I will start trying to contribute my changes also.

I think it will be great to have a perfectly working explorer clone. Then add ons like desktop manager add ons will work. The xp power tools one works perfectly already with the current explorer_new. Then some individuals can fork it for more abilities.

I would like to see ability to have multiple toolbars. Though it is probably out of the scope of this project.

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi all

do any one know if explora new runs on windows 7 rc??

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

frmariam wrote:Hey I just made a question that seemed to me perfectly valid (you can't say explorer has multipane window view in Windows). Also I was under the impression that ReactOS would do some overal improvements over what we have in Windows.

All of the items I asked about are not much diferent then the general improvements done on the file manager so far. Just simple UI and usability changes. It's not like I'm demanding anything. You don't need to jump the noob...
Windows DOES have Virtual Desktop Managing, you just can't see it or use it without another program.

Multi pane explorer windows have been around as well.

frmariam

Post by frmariam »

coldReactive wrote: Windows DOES have Virtual Desktop Managing, you just can't see it or use it without another program.

Multi pane explorer windows have been around as well.
I didn't even mention virtual desktop managing and yet you just proved my point with that. In ROS the default explorer UI allow you to do a thing that in Windows would require an external app!

Also how do you get 2 panes inside a single window in the file manager of explorer.exe in Windows? I know there are many other file managers that have this but I'm talking about a native feature. In ROS you have in the native explorer.

Those are enhancements in my book. WIndows doesn't have them useable out of the box.

By the same logic you used above I could argue that in Windows one can rollup windows if one places the cursor over the lower limit of a window and moves it up to the title bar (until only the title bar remains). Winroll just does that by right clicking in the title bar of a window... Similar thing about the always on top, send back and minimize to systray. If ROS had this would be more or less the same as with the VDM.

But hey man this is a completely pointless argument. Just wanted to suggest some very small changes that I consider would be useful. These last ones don't even change the appearence of the UI. These aren't vital features much less at this point of development. I'll refrain from all explorer related talk (at least until 0.4) since it seems to lead to nothing productive.
Last edited by frmariam on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

I think you're confusing multi-pane with MDI.

MDI

[ external image ]

Multi-pane

[ external image ]

latter picture is running Windows Vista.