The new Explorer

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

maxpower

Re: The new Explorer

Post by maxpower »

Yeah, exactly that'S the point. If it doesn't work in Windows, it's never work in ROS.
If it would work in ROS, but not on Windows, then ROS would be using strange workarounds that do things that shouldn't be done.

explorer_new.exe is far from being ready-to-use.
hefner

Post by hefner »

I heard some months ago, the explorer_new has a problem with the gcc compiler ... it should run, if you compile it with the MSVC ... but no guarantee that i remember me right ;)
greenie

Post by greenie »

Must have broken with a gcc update. How do you debug a problem where no error is given? It would be good to get this working. Maybe if i get bored i might investigate more.

Also when I said it is not working. I meant it is not working on windows xp. I already know that it can not run on reactos yet.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

It used to run on ros, it used to run on xp. It certainly wasn't a 'fluke'

As for why it doesn't run on either now, nobody knows as nobody has investigated.
Maybe if everyone stopped guessing and actually looked then all this specualtion could end.
zefklop
Developer

Post by zefklop »

I managed to compile it using Visual studio 2008, but I can't have any result with it.
Even adding printf("Hello!\n") on the first line of WinMain seems to be a no-op...

EDIT: hmpf, Replacing printf with a messagebox worls...
EDIT2: Works with windows server 2008. Clicking on the taskbar to restore windows does not work though... I might investigate this later.
greenie

Post by greenie »

zefklop thats great that someones looking into it.

on the note about clicking on the taskbar does not restore windows. There is no code in it yet. I did submit some code in bugtracker a long time ago for that. Also context menu in taskbar doesn't work i also have a fix for that. If it starts running again i might try get the systray icons working. It's the next thing i would like to see.

edit:
I had a quick look the program stops on this line in traywnd.c

Code: Select all

hWnd = CreateWindowEx(dwExStyle,
                              szTrayWndClass,
                              NULL,
                              WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE | WS_CLIPSIBLINGS | WS_CLIPCHILDREN |
                                  WS_BORDER | WS_THICKFRAME,
                              rcWnd.left,
                              rcWnd.top,
                              rcWnd.right - rcWnd.left,
                              rcWnd.bottom - rcWnd.top,
                              NULL,
                              NULL,
                              hExplorerInstance,
                              This);
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

greenie wrote:on the note about clicking on the taskbar does not restore windows. There is no code in it yet. I did submit some code in bugtracker a long time ago for that. Also context menu in taskbar doesn't work i also have a fix for that. If it starts running again i might try get the systray icons working. It's the next thing i would like to see.
Are you talking about Explorer_new or explorer? :)
About the code,do you have a DebugLog?It would be really useful :)
You can try to dive easily in the code of our CreateWindowEx API, if it stops there maybe is because there is a fail inside our CreateWindowEx.
The first i see is that DWORD dwExStyle is using the variable dwExStyle instead using directly the DWORD values.
This value can be: WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW | WS_EX_WINDOWEDGE or WS_EX_TOOLWINDOW | WS_EX_WINDOWEDGE | WS_EX_TOPMOST
Now let´s dive:
CreateWindowEx is managed thanks to CreateWindowExA and CreateWindowExW.But, both of them finish calling User32CreateWindowEx. and this one "wash its hands" sending the work to an NT function.
This is called the Chain :) and the Chain seems to be broken somewhere.
How i have followed the Chain?
1)Go to ReactOS Doxygen.
2)Search CreateWindowEx, you will find CreateWindowExA and CreateWindowExW. This is because CreateWindowEx is defined as CreateWindowExA or CreateWindowExW.If you look both you will see they are pretty similar and that the work is sent to User32CreateWindowEx.
3)Click in the User32CreateWindowEx link, it will lead you to the NT function.

One way to see what is happening is testing User32CreateWindowEx is reciving correctly the Params.
So if you want you can use DPRINT1 function, to obtain info about the params that User32CreateWindowEx recives. (it works as a PRINTF but writes in the Debuglog instead to a Console).
If the DPRINT1 info doesnt appear in the Debuglog, it means the problem is in the CreateWindowEx* functions.
If it Prints the info in the Debuglog, check if the values are right.If so, go to the NT function and set there a Dprint to obtain the params NT is reciving.
If we arent arriving to the NT function,then we should find the error in the previous function.
:)
greenie

Post by greenie »

vicmarcal wrote:Are you talking about Explorer_new or explorer?
Explorer_new. I assume zefklop was also.
vicmarcal wrote:About the code,do you have a DebugLog?It would be really useful
no I don't have a debug log, and I have no idea how. I also don't know where it gets to in reactos as I have not tried. All that sounds a little over my head.
I don't think I can do much more. I have no idea where to go. It seems to look ok.

I do have a version that builds the revision is 39924.
zefklop
Developer

Post by zefklop »

http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=4668 for those who want to see where I am.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

zekflop, are you currently using RosBE to build explorer-new and the changes?
zefklop
Developer

Post by zefklop »

No, I made my own msvc project. I forgot to test if it builds with rosBE...
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

it builds with RosBE for sure.
zefklop
Developer

Post by zefklop »

w3seek just sent a fix. I can't see any problem with explorer-new right now. Please test it!!
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

If some could test it on XP and get us a screenshot that would be great.
I'm not sure what the current state is and the code which was just added was untested.

Cheers.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Ok i will try this evening in my XP VM.
:)