Thank you VERY much!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

coldReactive

Re: Thank you VERY much!

Post by coldReactive »

digioz wrote:
coldReactive wrote:Too bad Mono doesn't support .NET 2 nor .NET 3.
Actually, mono has been supporting .NET 2.0 for a while now:

http://www.sdtimes.com/link/32935

Of course it's not 100% compatible with .NET 2.0, but pretty close to it.

Pete
when I ran an installer for a .NET 3 app, it gave me an error and listed my current .NET version. The current .NET version was set to 1.1

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Notice he said .NET2, not .NET3.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Does that matter? If the version mono sets is 1.1, then .NET 2.0 apps will give the same error.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

coldReactive wrote:Does that matter? If the version mono sets is 1.1, then .NET 2.0 apps will give the same error.
Maybe their code shows 1.1 as default value if it doesnt recognize the .Net.So no, it doesnt mean that .Net 2.0 isnt supported.Btw, it would be pretty strange that Mono just supports 1.1 Net.It would mean they are really stucked,

Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

Mono has different profiles targeting different versions of the .NET Framework.

And Mono is binary compatible with .NET generated binaries. Depending on the corelib searched, Mono will activate either .NET 1.1 or .NET 2.0 support.

When that installer searched for .NET, if it searched for 1.1 before 2.0, its possible it might have been confused.

digioz

Post by digioz »

I noticed there is a screenshot of Visual Studio 2005 Installation on ReactOS. Being that .NET Framework is not to be installed on any OS other then Windows (at least that's what everyone here seems to be implying), does it make sense to have this screenshot on the site?

[ external image ]

Thanks,
Pete

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

The problem with mono is that most .net developers are using at least .net 3.5 now.
I'm actually starting to use features from .net 4.0 now, like file mappings.

Mono is a bit far behind for newer apps :(

digioz

Post by digioz »

Actually, .NET 4.0, 3.5 and 3.0 are essentially extensions to the .NET 2.0:

[ external image ]

So unless you are taking advantage of features like "LINK", "Workflow" or "Cardspace", the default namespace used even for a .NET 3.5 Application is .NET 2.0 (for Windows Forms, Web Forms, etc).

Mono 2.6 does however have LINQ support scheduled for their November 2009 release:

http://www.mono-project.com/Roadmap

Pete

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

If you're using .NET in a production environment, you tend to be a Microsoft shop from bottom up. The need for Mono is almost non-existent at that point.

digioz

Post by digioz »

Well that's not entirely true. There are a lot of businesses that would like to take advantage of the .NET Framework and the RAD features that come with it, but don't want to pay for Server Licenses. So in my opinion supporting Mono on ReactOS would the key to getting big businesses and government organizations to switch to ReactOS, because it would allow them to use existing .NET Developer group to quickly create and run Custom Applications on it.

Personally, I think Mono should be included and pre-configured with ReactOS. That's just my opinion obviously.

Pete