Include Mingw in default install

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jakov

Include Mingw in default install

Post by jakov »

It would be great if SSH, CVS, mingw etc would be included in the default
install, so ReactOS could be used seriously for selfhosting as soon as
the network side is stable.

Update:
Reading the replies below, I see a pattern. What it comes down to, I think
is should we go a BSD-ish way or a Linux way?

BSD develop a complete system and release everything in concert.
Linux is a kernel only, other do the bundling.

I believe ReactOS has much to gain from going the BSD way rather than
the Linux way. Why? Because much of Win32 is so convoluted and big,
the linux between what's the kernel and what's glibc and apps is not as
clear cut as in the Linux case.

On the other hand I can see and argument for Linux development model
too: Wine and Mingw fills the role of Free Software Foundation with their compiler, libc and user space tools. Reactos do the kernel part.
Third parties do the bundling into a distribution.

I guess I just greatly miss the ReactOS dist a Windows-centric
developer could download and just start hacking on, without knowing
any Linux.

I believe Linux kernel development picked up speed when there
first was a dist availible. (Yggdrasil or Slackware or something, I don't know.)
Last edited by jakov on Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gasmann

Re: Include Mingw in default install

Post by Gasmann »

jakov wrote:It would be great if SSH, CVS, mingw etc would be included in the default
install, so ReactOS could be used seriously for selfhosting as soon as
the network side is stable.
I don't think of it as an good idea, because it would enlarge it to more than 2x the size that it now has :shock: :!:
blight
Developer

Post by blight »

Last edited by blight on Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gedi

Re: Include Mingw in default install

Post by Gedi »

gasmann wrote: I don't think of it as an good idea, because it would enlarge it to more than 2x the size that it now has :shock: :!:
I'm not saying that including the mentioned software is a good idea, but in todays world with most people running 512K +, I don't think size is an issue. It's obviously going to get much bigger as time goes on anyway.

Although, with the project progressing rapidly, would it not be an idea to only release packages for major releases, otherwise people will be downloading lots of extra software everytime a minor change is made.

Maybe having a full package and a minimal package would address both issues so people can grab which suits them?
DOSProfi

Post by DOSProfi »

I have built a Mingw package using the 7-Zip sfx utility. I have made also a distri, but its first in Alpha State. In this distri I have include the rosapps package.

www.realdos.de
ConMan

Post by ConMan »

I agree with Gedi, many people have faster connections and if you are able to resume downloads than 56kers can get it eventually. I have downloaded at least a few cds of linux installations on my 56k before. Patience is the key.
uniQ

Post by uniQ »

If someone wants to make a variation of ROS with these in it I'd not mind, but the ROS base package should probably be the basics. That or revive "ROSApps" as just a CD with likely apps that run on the corresponding ROS version.

-Q
Coming on, coming up, let me help ROS and I'll be able to look @ a life well used.
tonik

Post by tonik »

I guess ReactOS developers shouldn't bother bundling their releases with any software except for basic utilities. They have more important things to do.

As ReactOS gets more stable, to the point it can actually be used as one's primary OS, several ReactOS distros will sure spirng up, just like we have hundreds of distros of Linux kernel. Then you will have the choice of downloading some "Mandrake ReactOS", "Debian ReactOS", etc, or you can just get the kernel from reactos.com and build a working system by yourself.