Reactos Fusion

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Drazic

Reactos Fusion

Post by Drazic »

I was thinking about creating the following program:

The user must insert a genuine Windows 2000 cd, then the program extracts a whole list of dll's from cabs on the cd, and creates a Reactos Boot ISO containing a mix of the original reactos files and win2k files. The user can then have a Reactos installation with lots of features currently not fully implemented in the official Reactos (SATA, USB, DirectX, etc.).

The question is: Is this possible? I know certain dll's from reactos can be replaced with their windows 2000 counterpart, but how many of the problems and missing features can be fixed this way?

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

BTW, there already was (or still is?) ReactOS Synthesis project.

GoBusto

Re: Reactos Fusion

Post by GoBusto »

Drazic wrote:I was thinking about creating the following program:

The user must insert a genuine Windows 2000 cd, then the program extracts a whole list of dll's from cabs on the cd, and creates a Reactos Boot ISO containing a mix of the original reactos files and win2k files. The user can then have a Reactos installation with lots of features currently not fully implemented in the official Reactos (SATA, USB, DirectX, etc.).

The question is: Is this possible? I know certain dll's from reactos can be replaced with their windows 2000 counterpart, but how many of the problems and missing features can be fixed this way?
Suddenly, my spider-legallity sense is tingling. I'd suggest that you check that the EULA allows Windows 2000 components to be used in such a manner, especially since this would allow users to use ReactOwS 2000 without a valid CD key.

From the Windows 2000 EULA:
Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation and Disassembly.

You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.

Separation of Components.

The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed as a single product. Its component parts may not be separated for use on more than one computer.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

GoBusto wrote: Suddenly, my spider-legallity sense is tingling.
IMHO, there is no contradiction with these EULA terms. It is not reverse engineering, decompilation, or disassembling. It is also not a separation for use on more than one computer.
GoBusto wrote: […] especially since this would allow users to use ReactOwS 2000 without a valid CD key.
As I understand, he does not suggest to distribute that ReactOwS, just to install it where Windows 2000 was installed.
Drazic wrote: The user can then have a Reactos installation with lots of features currently not fully implemented in the official Reactos (SATA, USB, DirectX, etc.).
And with lots of bugs thanks to defects in ReactOS…

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Drazic, I suggest getting in touch with Elledan (hackkitten on irc). She may be able to give you guidance, or add you to her team. iirc, the project has seen little activity, and I guess she could do with an extra pair of hands.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

To me it sounds like exact opposite to ReactSynth. Fusion would aim at adding missing functionality to ROS, while Synth aims at replacing some of the Windows' functionality with ROS' one. In the end the difference is mostly in wording. :mrgreen:

Drazic

Post by Drazic »

Her project is the complete opposite of my project. I want a real Reactos install (with some win2k dll's), and she wants a Win2k install (with some reactos dll's). :D

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Surely there will be a lot of overlap in both projects?

fred02

Post by fred02 »

GoBusto wrote: Suddenly, my spider-legallity sense is tingling. I'd suggest that you check that the EULA allows Windows 2000 components to be used in such a manner,
May be searching WineHQ will provide some answers, since genuine DDLs may be used in wine so it was surly already discussed in various forums.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

It may be legal in accordance with the letter of the law, but whether it's ethical is another matter. At the same time, we the developers would not encourage this as the entire point of ROS is to provide a complete replacement to Windows, not just bits and pieces. You are of course free to do what you want, but you're not likely to get much direct help.

PsyDonia

Post by PsyDonia »

I think this is a great idea.
So if someone can made a list of DLL from windows2000 that can be replaced and added
to have it more stable that would be more than great.
The project don't need to have the DLL it is up to the user to have the Windows2000 CD.
so the project can copy the needed files.
or just a list of dll files and the user will copy then manually.

Zvince

Post by Zvince »

Maybe I'm wrong, but this project seems to be time-limited, because as new ReactOs releases are published, more and more original XP/w2k dlls will become useless.
This sounds to me like a "countdown to ReactOs 1.0" ...

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Zvince wrote:Maybe I'm wrong, but this project seems to be time-limited, because as new ReactOs releases are published, more and more original XP/w2k dlls will become useless.
This sounds to me like a "countdown to ReactOs 1.0" ...
Right now our User mode is VISTA. So freeze the CountDown :)

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

PsyDonia wrote:I think this is a great idea.
So if someone can made a list of DLL from windows2000 that can be replaced and added
to have it more stable that would be more than great.
The project don't need to have the DLL it is up to the user to have the Windows2000 CD.
so the project can copy the needed files.
or just a list of dll files and the user will copy then manually.
One problem: I don't have a Win2000 CD.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

This is not permited by Windows license...