Reactos as Jukebox

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

geertvdijk

Reactos as Jukebox

Post by geertvdijk »

Hello all! First of all, let me say this: I'm really impressed with how ReactOS is still going strong, as things really could've been worse (and I've feared they would be for some time). I've been around ROS a bit longer, however I've been quite inactive on the forums ever since .3.2 or so now.
That's all gonna change though, as I'm going to be a bit ambitious and do something that everyone will say I shouldn't: I'm gonna put ROS on a machine for 'production use'!
That said, it's not going to be my workstation or anything.
The moment 0.3.9 comes out the door, I'll install it on a secondary computer, test some sound cards, pick the one that works best, and then I'll use it as an energy-efficient jukebox. I'll post my progress here (or in another subforum if that would be better, I couldn't pick one so I posted this here) and keep trying out new releases as they come. Next goal for me will be (assuming/hoping that this will work pretty well quite soon :P) getting .Net or Mono to run so I can develop some nice little tools to improve usability of the jukebox (one can dream, right?).
Thanks developers for the continuous effort you put into ReactOS, I can't imagine how much time it took to get this far, but now that it's starting to come together nicely I also can't imagine how great it must feel! Thanks!
-graey-
Mrkaras

Re: Reactos as Jukebox

Post by Mrkaras »

sounds good, good luck getting it to work reliably, with sound but if you can then good for you. I have thought for some time reactos was getting close to being usefull for a very limited machiene, like that, only needs to run one app. As i see it it will become used more as a winxp embeded replacement more before it becomes an XP standard replacement. I think you have a chance, just as long as you can get the sound to go, and Ithink your software will need to be non-dotnet for a while yet.
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

Yeah, I had little luck with .3.9, as my soundcard isn't really generic... I'm just going to keep trying, hopefully .3.10 or .3.11 will work :)
-graey-
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

What exactly is your soundcard?
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

It's an Audigy 2 ZS with the ca0102 chip. Sounds good and not too expensive :-)
-graey-
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Is your hardware equipped with COM port? Do you have, or can you get a null modem cable? If so, you could join our effort to get more soundcards working in ROS. It requires two things: getting debug output from your real hardware (thus null modem cable) and using own ReactOS build, that is bit tweaked (more debug output turned on). If you are interested, i`ll proceed with details, either here or better on IRC.
**M**

Post by **M** »

That sounds interesting, I have an onboard realtek, im not sure if their drivers are generic for all the devices,
but considering the number of mobos equipped with realteks ac97, HD audio, it would be nice to get them going natively.
cuttysark

Post by cuttysark »

Haos wrote:Is your hardware equipped with COM port? Do you have, or can you get a null modem cable? If so, you could join our effort to get more soundcards working in ROS. It requires two things: getting debug output from your real hardware (thus null modem cable) and using own ReactOS build, that is bit tweaked (more debug output turned on). If you are interested, i`ll proceed with details, either here or better on IRC.
Hi!
I do have a COM port in my computer. Could you help me? What do you mean by "using own ReactOS build"?
BR
Cuttysark
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

cuttysark wrote:Hi!
I do have a COM port in my computer. Could you help me? What do you mean by "using own ReactOS build"?
BR
Cuttysark
It means compiling ReactOS yourself using RosBE. This is necessary in order for you to enable extra debugging features that are not present in the standard builds.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Sure, you should join irc channel and try to catch me there.
jmmercy

Post by jmmercy »

Haos wrote:Is your hardware equipped with COM port? Do you have, or can you get a null modem cable? If so, you could join our effort to get more soundcards working in ROS. It requires two things: getting debug output from your real hardware (thus null modem cable) and using own ReactOS build, that is bit tweaked (more debug output turned on). If you are interested, i`ll proceed with details, either here or better on IRC.
Hi Haos and all of you.
I did not interact for some time but keep following the development once in a while. If there is work that requires test on
real hardware and not too much interpretation, I shall be interested like others to do that. This being said, your message
implies others like me could do something: could you tell more here, I could try to help as well. I have plenty of various older
pc around and all capabilities to wire/test plus some free time right now.

Regards.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Its not that hard, although requires some initial lurking around ReactOS to get a feel with it. Thus, its not suitable for detailed explanations here. Feel free to join IRC channel and bug me anytime.