non-GPL compliant ROS distros on eBay?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

non-GPL compliant ROS distros on eBay?

Post by Lone_Rifle »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REACTOS-WINDOWS-O ... .m63.l1177

(This is a repost of an earlier thread made in the italian forums, thanks go to that thread's starter. reposted here for wider audience)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: non-GPL compliant ROS distros on eBay?

Post by vicmarcal »

Well..the GPL let you sell OpenSource, that is why i prefer most the CopyLeft. You can let people touch your code, modify your code,use your code, but if the original source is NON-SELLABLE, then they cant sell it :)

And why i dont like people selling ReactOS?
1)Because we are working and he just have to download the ISO and put in Ebay.
2)Because the Stupid(sorry i dont find any other word) buyers will think that ReactOS sucks.(And it is a bad image for us and for a near future)
3)Because people could come here and complain against us, searching(indeed)support for it.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

i'm not so wound up about them selling copies of ROS; as you said, the GPL permits profit-driven distribution of software. My main concern is that the seller may not be providing a link to the ReactOS source tree, or publishing his changes, if any. If he is doing both though, I'm fine. A link to us on the auction would be nice though.
forart

Post by forart »

Just signaled the auction "inopportunity" to eBay staff.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Cmon, its funny:>> wanna see the face of unlucky 15-quid spender...
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

Yup shame I`ll miss that :D
lollebol

Post by lollebol »

i offered him 1,99 pounds for fun :!: (sending payment only).
to see how he "reacts" when he makes no profit out of it.

anyway, people must be realy dumb to buy this :P
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

The guy selling it is also selling a "Mario PC Game" despite the fact that there are no official Mario games for the PC.
user312

Post by user312 »

I like the claim on his cover - "Runs 99% of all Windows Software". Won't it be nice having those buyers drop by here looking for support?
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

He's burning cd's with opensource software and sells it, not forbidden, but not the fine english way too.
he offers a dvd with free stuff for resale, so that other people can do too, look here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0374354418.
I think about the people who buy it, maybe old grannys or kids with no knowledge, and they buy it, and then they see the software which is partially unusable, they get a hate of OSS, and tell everybody how fXXked Up it is and this guy is getting money for nothing.
The most are paying the devs, no money, but their work, and this work is getting a bad call because such a weiner doesn't how to work honestly.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

When he is advertising it as a replacement for WindowsXP (when it can't be used as a main system yet), running 99+% of software and all that, then ReactOS does have a responsibility to react to it. Firstly it will damage the name of the current software project (creating a dislike for it), people coming back to the project for damage which may occur and also ReactOS knowing of this have a responsibility (possibly legally too) to do something about it (eg contacting Ebay and the user to have it fixed).
lollebol

Post by lollebol »

Since ros cannot run yet 99% of all windows xp programs, it means he is also a dirty liar!
So in this case we can "report this item" to ebay because his advertation is complete nonsense? :D
ajtsoukalas

Post by ajtsoukalas »

Has anyone considered that this goober is a Microsoft plant, using an underhanded way to hurt ReactOS as it gets closer to BETA?
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

ajtsoukalas wrote:Has anyone considered that this goober is a Microsoft plant, using an underhanded way to hurt ReactOS as it gets closer to BETA?
There are no ReactOS conspiracies. Nothing to see here, move along.

Judging from the other stuff he's selling, he's most likely just some guy out to make cash in a somewhat morally questionable manner, hiding behind the relative anonymity of an eBay user name (What's that you say? "Immoral money-grabbers, on MY Internet?" It's more likely than you think).
RODX

Post by RODX »

I agree Gobusto, it is hard to believe that even now people are still able to get away with moronic auctions on eBay.

RODX