Using git for ros source as main revision control system.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Using git for ros source as main revision control systen. Did we need it?

Yes, for all source code (branches, tags, trunk, vendor, web).
12%
Yes, for all source code, except trunk.
No votes
Yes, only for some of code (comment below, what exactly code you want to see in git).
No votes
Yes, for all source code as svn mirror.
23%
Yes, only for some of code as svn mirror (comment below, what exactly code you want to see in git mirror).
No votes
May be, if somebody explain why git is better choose for ros, than svn.
No votes
No, let's leave everything as is.
58%
No, we don't need git at all. Let's remove git mirror of trunk.
No votes
Other (comment below).
8%

Total votes: 26

q4a

Re: Using git for ros source as main revision control system.

Post by q4a »

Haos wrote:When we had first introduced GIT as our backup i had an attempt to try it out, Vista SP1. Installed that recommended TortotiseGit... which was a gross mistake. It just locked up all of my shell extensions, from new file to 7zip... It actively refused to uninstall, throwing away msi errors on missing installer. Had to hunt it down with orcas and clean up registry manually, then reinstall every app used in shell extensions. Painful. Do not want to try it again unless really sure it would be working. I`m using svn for other projects and will not uninstall it just to make tortoisegit work, if that would be the issue.
Yes, such problem was solved not so a short time ago. Specially for u and other bad vista users, i will install vista enterprise sp1 on vmware, just say me - x86 or x64 version?
Haos wrote:And frankly speaking q4a, this is not a place for such decission. Choosing main repo is up to developers and project coordinator, not forum users. Also, your fanatical "i am right and you must be wrong" approach is not helping at all. What more, your attitude in this matter is actively deterring people from supporting GIT as main repo. I`d suggest having a few deep breaths and reconsideration.
I give 2 links, that explain my position. In opposition - i don't see nothing, else than we are currently using svn and don't want try anything else and Alex Ionescu using Mac, so he don't like how to git support Mac ( http://code.google.com/p/git-osx-instal ... list?can=3 ).
All this is bullshit. I need really weighty arguments against git!
-----
PS Fireball wanted to give me access to new cmake branch, but all brunches using svn - that's why this poll and using git so important for me.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Why not to create just cmake git branch?
q4a

Re:

Post by q4a »

hto wrote:Why not to create just cmake git branch?
That's not problem.. problem in trunk - nobody can't commit in trunk via git.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Your position has been explained and while we sympathize with your problem, we are not about to inconvenience our access to the repository for your sake. You've stated why YOU want to switch over to git, but the rest of the developers do not share those reasons. As such, you have not convinced us why something as drastic as switching the primary repository is necessary or desirable. It may solve problems for you, but it'll only cause more problems for us. And while we're willing to help you fix the problems you seem to be facing, that willingness does not extend to making things harder for the rest of us for your sake.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

q4a wrote: That's not problem.. problem in trunk - nobody can't commit in trunk via git.
That's what I'm talking of — the ability to commit to the trunk without necessity to use SVN…
Pharaoh_Atem

Re:

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

hto wrote:
q4a wrote: That's not problem.. problem in trunk - nobody can't commit in trunk via git.
That's what I'm talking of — the ability to commit to the trunk without necessity to use SVN…
Well... It is a mirror. In general, mirrors are read only, with a few rare exceptions to that. It's a precaution, and a good one at that. The possibility of poisoning a repository is far less when mirrors are read only.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

What about git-svn then? Alexey, have you tried it?
Pharaoh_Atem

Re:

Post by Pharaoh_Atem »

hto wrote:What about git-svn then? Alexey, have you tried it?
The Caveats are pretty severe with git-svn, I don't know if it would be a good idea to enable using it...
q4a

Re:

Post by q4a »

hto wrote:What about git-svn then? Alexey, have you tried it?
Yes, that's slow workaround, which don't slove the problem.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

The most safe solution would be a script on the server, which should take patches from a dedicated mailbox, apply them to the sources, and commit changes. Then everyone can use whatever they want locally; even write patches by hand. :)
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Or some kind of cross-scripting, allowing to commit to git as well as svn repo and synchronizing one over another. I wonder, apart from just being possible to be done, how would this impact stat gathering?
Ged
Developer

Re: Re:

Post by Ged »

q4a wrote:
hto wrote:Why not to create just cmake git branch?
That's not problem.. problem in trunk - nobody can't commit in trunk via git.
But, you aren't a dev so what do you care?
You're looking for a problem that doesn't exist
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Ged wrote: But, you aren't a dev so what do you care?
As I understand, he want to work in a branch and merge changes back into the trunk from time to time, in the manner of Cameron and aicom-network-fixes, without having to use SVN.
q4a

Re: Re:

Post by q4a »

Ged wrote:But, you aren't a dev so what do you care?
You're looking for a problem that doesn't exist
Yes, u are right. And this problem will never arise.
-----
Can somebody answer, what reason was to move all source from cvs to svn?
Ged
Developer

Re:

Post by Ged »

hto wrote:As I understand, he want to work in a branch and merge changes back into the trunk from time to time, in the manner of Cameron and aicom-network-fixes, without having to use SVN.
Then he will have to use SVN like everyone else.
We aren't about to change one of the best source control tools to something far insuperior just to please one person.