Using git for ros source as main revision control system.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Using git for ros source as main revision control systen. Did we need it?

Yes, for all source code (branches, tags, trunk, vendor, web).
12%
Yes, for all source code, except trunk.
No votes
Yes, only for some of code (comment below, what exactly code you want to see in git).
No votes
Yes, for all source code as svn mirror.
23%
Yes, only for some of code as svn mirror (comment below, what exactly code you want to see in git mirror).
No votes
May be, if somebody explain why git is better choose for ros, than svn.
No votes
No, let's leave everything as is.
58%
No, we don't need git at all. Let's remove git mirror of trunk.
No votes
Other (comment below).
8%

Total votes: 26

q4a

Using git for ros source as main revision control system.

Post by q4a » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:42 am

I propose to use git for all ros source as main revision control system.
Prime causes is performance (speed of operation) and small space requirements.
----------
Node:

If you never used Git, see this links for more information, before you voted:
http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitSvnComparsion
http://joshcarter.com/productivity/svn_ ... _directory
http://code.google.com/p/tortoisegit/

Magik_18l

Re: Using git for ros source as main revision control system.

Post by Magik_18l » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:02 am

I made mistake
No i know why git is better
I didn't read http://git.or.cz/gitwiki/GitSvnComparsion before the voting
:mrgreen:

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:35 am

Considering this is a development tool, this is a developer decision.
It's also been heavily rejected for various reasons.

Personally, I would rather nail my gentlenmans area to the desk than use git

Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:25 pm

Git is fine as a mirror, but NEVER as a main DVCS, ESPECIALLY for this project. If anything, Mercurial would be a much better choice!

q4a

Post by q4a » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:48 pm

Ged wrote:Personally, I would rather nail my gentlenmans area to the desk than use git
Soon, you will have to do it.
Pharaoh_Atem wrote:Git is fine as a mirror, but NEVER as a main DVCS, ESPECIALLY for this project. If anything, Mercurial would be a much better choice!
Why? I never used Mercurial. Say me, please, why is it better, than git???

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:17 pm

Does this mean I would have to download GBs of data, because in git I must checkout complete repo history? Also I'm interested, which compression algorithm is used in "repack"?

Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:16 pm

q4a wrote:
Ged wrote:Personally, I would rather nail my gentlenmans area to the desk than use git
Pharaoh_Atem wrote:Git is fine as a mirror, but NEVER as a main DVCS, ESPECIALLY for this project. If anything, Mercurial would be a much better choice!
Why? I never used Mercurial. Say me, please, why is it better, than git???
Mercurial is easier and quicker to set up, its slightly less cryptic, and the biggie, it has full on Windows support. It even can integrate with Visual Studio, among other things. I said this all before, but another more important thing is that unlike Git, Mercurial is more well documented. Git, despite all the popularity it seems to be getting recently, is still very badly documented, and that can be a huge problem. Correction, that IS a huge problem.

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:03 pm

q4a wrote: Say me, please, why is it better, than git???
Mercurial has MQ tool to maintain patches at the top of the repository. I'm not sure, has Git something like it or not.
Black_Fox wrote: Does this mean I would have to download GBs of data, because in git I must checkout complete repo history?
It is not so huge… The complete repository, including rosapps, rostests, etc., is slightly larger then SVN checkout of ReactOS trunk. Under 700M.

I think it would be nice to have write access from Git / Mercurial without resorting to SVN. Which revision control system the server uses internally, is not important for me.

q4a

Post by q4a » Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:23 pm

See this: http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/2738/branches1.png
I just want update all brunches on my laptop Samsung Q45 (F000) (Intel Core Duo T2330 1600Mhz/1024Mb/80Gb/DVD-RW/WiFi/BT/XP pro).
All this such finished: http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6725/branches2.png
"Недостаточно системных ресурсов для завершения операции."=="Not enough system resources for process end."
And than i've to expend time in doing cleanup, because all brunches locked.
I also tryed to update brunches one by one, via ssvn from RosBE all in one go and via ssvn one by one. Memtest86+ passed without errors. So svn really sucks.
Pharaoh_Atem wrote:Mercurial is easier and quicker to set up, its slightly less cryptic, and the biggie, it has full on Windows support. It even can integrate with Visual Studio, among other things. I said this all before, but another more important thing is that unlike Git, Mercurial is more well documented. Git, despite all the popularity it seems to be getting recently, is still very badly documented, and that can be a huge problem. Correction, that IS a huge problem.
I can say the same about Git: it's easy to setup, it has full on Windows support, git have good documentation too: http://git-scm.com/documentation , it even can integrate with Visual Studio: http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9018/s ... 173930.png (sorry for bad picture - i don't rebooted yet, after trying to update brunches via fucking svn).

_Russell_

Post by _Russell_ » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:40 pm

Personally I think Mercurial is the winner of the day, as people stated above it is better documented among others.

There is no reason to make the development process more difficult for our developers

Support the "Ban the chev" campaign today!

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:10 pm

q4a wrote:
Trust me, I really won't, we will never use git as our main source control.
You can take it from me that this poll will change nothing ;)

q4a

Post by q4a » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:25 pm

Ged wrote:Trust me, I really won't, we will never use git as our main source control.
You can take it from me that this poll will change nothing ;)
That poll will open eyes some of people, that svn really sucks. It will show, that many of developers of ros are camelish.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:55 pm

Poll shows that majority of people, even non-developers, would prefer to leave things how they are. There already is a git mirror fans can use, so what is your problem?

Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:07 pm

I just personally would either like a mirror of a DVCS that I can use directly on Windows instead of having to import and then update, because the first import takes a LONG time to do. So, I would just be happy with a Mercurial mirror so that I didn't have to import the WHOLE repository on each machine I wanted to manage the source code on. Who knows? In the future, we may not use SVN, but for now, I doubt the main VCS will not change.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:26 pm

When we had first introduced GIT as our backup i had an attempt to try it out, Vista SP1. Installed that recommended TortotiseGit... which was a gross mistake. It just locked up all of my shell extensions, from new file to 7zip... It actively refused to uninstall, throwing away msi errors on missing installer. Had to hunt it down with orcas and clean up registry manually, then reinstall every app used in shell extensions. Painful. Do not want to try it again unless really sure it would be working. I`m using svn for other projects and will not uninstall it just to make tortoisegit work, if that would be the issue.

And frankly speaking q4a, this is not a place for such decission. Choosing main repo is up to developers and project coordinator, not forum users. Also, your fanatical "i am right and you must be wrong" approach is not helping at all. What more, your attitude in this matter is actively deterring people from supporting GIT as main repo. I`d suggest having a few deep breaths and reconsideration.