Audio Working on QEMU. ( AC97 )

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

unofficialforum

Re: Audio Working on QEMU. ( AC97 )

Post by unofficialforum » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:02 am

what mr. stallman (also known as the fsf) means is they don't conform to *his* definition. it happens that i also think the line between commercial use and non-commercial use isn't worth drawing- i like stallman's definition. the difference between him and me is that i know it's *his* definition, and he seems to think it's everyone else's.

that's where lawrence lessig comes in. (also bruce perens.) you don't have to tell me that if you create too many licenses, that you'll end up with fragmented contributions to "free, open source software" that aren't compatible because each one has its own license. i know that, it's a point worth making.

at the same time, if someone wants to use cc by-nc or by-nc-sa to release their work instead of making it fully proprietary "gratisware," i'm glad that mr. lessig's definition offers more options than mr. stallman- because it makes the world of open source more reasonable, more inviting, and allows people like davy to share more than nothing.

i wish davy felt differently, but i'd be happy if by-nc-sa suited his needs, even if it would be better still to use the gpl or something compatible. i'd rather have "all 4 freedoms" and i might choose something with all 4 instead of davy's (which then only offers 3.) 3 isn't nothing, though, it's to be commended. i would have to use something else if i wanted it to be a commercial product, but a number of people don't care about that, whether stallman is right they should care or not.

stallman didn't invent free software. as he's fond of pointing out, people write free software for corporations. they give "all 4 freedoms" to those they write it for, then the companies don't share that freedom with customers.

the public domain (which gpl software deliberately is not) predates mr. stallman altogether, and arguably offers more freedoms than the gpl. the gpl doesn't only offer freedom- it seeks to force you to respect the freedom of others. that makes it ideological instead of merely practical. but people that insist you can separate the ideology from the practicality are ignoring the reality that sans ideology, much of the practical benefit would cease to be.

but stallman didn't invent it, he's more like software freedom's wetnurse, and he could give opponents and sometimes allies more credit than none. his "with us or against us" attitude is like america's towards france. "you helped in the 1700s, but what have you done for us lately?" what he and many of the ros developers have in common is they both have more to thank each other for than either will ever grow up enough to admit. replace "stallman" with "a great deal of the linux community," also. oh, sorry, i mean "gnu/linux community!" *sigh*

Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:40 am

I may not agree with everything RMS says, but I do agree on his definition of copyleft. As for ideology, I'm a bit more closely aligned with the OSI rather than the FSF, because I'm a pragmatist at heart.

I would also rather prefer CC-*-NC-* licenses over regular gratisware. It doesn't mean ROS cannot use it, it just means they cannot integrate GPLv2 code into it, so it would have to be cleanly separated, like how Linux distros are done.

Nevertheless, CC licenses were intended for art and docs rather than code. If a person wants to use it for code instead, that's fine. It's just weaker than most other OSI licenses.

unofficialforum

Post by unofficialforum » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:33 am

i think you can have more than one definition of copyleft. we probably both prefer rms's definition, but lessig's definition is just as valid in my opinion. it's valid- whether or not it's better depends on whether the first priority is the 4 freedoms, or whether the first priority is making the most of the present. it's pragmatism too, but then what's your definition of pragmatism?

copyright reserves all rights for the author, copyleft extends more rights to the user. so i'm happy with that definition, and i like rms's interpretation because his definition extends more rights to users than others. as for ros using non-gpl code, won't happen.

that is, they have a trunk and the trunk is gpl only- keeping it separate as you said. but obviously yes if they wanted to change their policy (i see no reason for them to) they technically could use projects with other licenses, and have a less coherent effort.

nothing against mixing licenses when it makes sense, but with an effort the size and complexity of ros, the last thing it needs is more patchwork than they manage already. i hope that davy changes his mind about user rights again someday, and all of rms's self-righteousness isn't likely to make that happen.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:56 am

We have BSD and even MsPL code in ReactOS.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:13 pm

You can see our actual licences here:
http://www.ohloh.net/p/reactos/analyses/latest

fred02

Post by fred02 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:25 pm

Z98 wrote:We have BSD and even MsPL code in ReactOS.
Doesn't the last one a problem with GPL?

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:52 pm

MsPL-licensed code is not combined with GPL-licensed code, so there should not be problems.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:51 pm

Dear ReactOS forum moderators,

How are you? I am fine.

Might I suggest that all posts from here onwards be split into a separate thread?

Hoping this finds you in good health,

- GoBusto

smeezekitty

Post by smeezekitty » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:22 am

After installing the audio driver, it is very very slow playing youtube videos.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:19 am

Why do you you bring this very old thread back to life?

smeezekitty

Post by smeezekitty » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:59 am

Because i did not see the date.