Filesystem reimplementation...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nute

Filesystem reimplementation...

Post by nute »

I understand that the FAT32 implementation that ReactOS currently uses is a hack. When will the proper
implementation replace the hack? When will NTFS be supported? Why is NTFS support necessary
anyways? ReactOS explorer is very unstable, is this because of the nature of the FAT implementation
or something else? I've posted a bug, I hope it makes sense.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Re: Filesystem reimplementation...

Post by Lone_Rifle »

To answer point by point:
Alex Vlasov and Fireball are currently working on the FAT32 IFS which should be a drop-in replacement for the one being used by NT et al to read FAT32 volumes. No exact time frame given owing to complexity involved. NTFS will be supported when the devs feel ready to do so. Your asking why it is necessary seems to contradict your concern about the timeframe; if you don't know why it's needed why do you bother about when it's available? In any case it's needed just so that nobody would notice the difference if XP were replaced by ROS. the explorer has nothing to do with filesystems.
nute

Post by nute »

The ReactOS explorer works with the file system, so theoretically if the file system isn't implemented correctly, ReactOS explorer is likely
to be unstable.

Somebody is going to notice these days if ReactOS is dropped in in place of XP. ReactOS has a long ways to go with file system instability,
core utilities being unstable, no sound, font problems, rendering issues, etcetera. ReactOS has many nonfunctional important dialogs.

I ask why NTFS is necessary as I wonder if this is holding up the replacement of the current FAT driver with something that is more stable?
Can the proper framework to support different file systems be put in place without implementing NTFS?
There's no need to be hostile towards someone who asks about the file system and what work is being done on it.
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

ReactOS explorer will be completely replaced by a new explorer! ReactOS explorer itself is unstable ...

Filesystem Support means that each filesystem has it's own driver. That has nothing todo with NTFS support in general :) Even FAT32 has it's own filesystem driver ;) And NTFS has some advantages in comparison with FAT32 (and it is needed to be compatible with Windows NT systems). But I hope also that ReactOS will support ext2 /ext3 in the 0.4.x releases, so that you can use a better fs instead FAT32 :wink:
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

nute wrote:Somebody is going to notice these days if ReactOS is dropped in in place of XP. ReactOS has a long ways to go with file system instability,
core utilities being unstable, no sound, font problems, rendering issues, etcetera. ReactOS has many nonfunctional important dialogs.
I forgot to qualify;
Lone_Rifle wrote: In any case it's needed just so that nobody would notice the difference if XP were replaced by ROS
when ROS nears completion. But you should have had the common sense to know that I implied that qualification.
nute wrote: I ask why NTFS is necessary as I wonder if this is holding up the replacement of the current FAT driver with something that is more stable?
Can the proper framework to support different file systems be put in place without implementing NTFS?
That's being done.
nute wrote: There's no need to be hostile towards someone who asks about the file system and what work is being done on it.
You're grossly mistaken about the tone of my reply. Get out much?
Last edited by Lone_Rifle on Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

There is no rush to implement NTFS, first the framework to support different file systems should be implemented…
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

And btw... WE HAVE SOUND!
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

EmuandCo wrote:And btw... WE HAVE SOUND!
not in 0.3.8 though. nute only downloads releases, not trunk builds.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well. Then. Sorry. My mistake
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
nute

Post by nute »

What is there that NTFS provides which is necessary to be compatible with windows NT/200x/XP/Vista/etcetera?
Are there a lot of programs that are actually written to work with NTFS specifically? Is support necessary simply
because people have files on NTFS volumes and they want to be able to access them? If people only need to
retrieve files from NTFS filesystems, then all ReactOS needs is read only support of NTFS.

I do get out thank you very much.

I have tried post 0.3.8 trunk builds, but none of them have supported sound. I use vmware workstation 6.
If sound is supported now, I should be able to grab the latest trunk build and experience that.

It looks like newsletter updates come out about every 2 weeks or so, if that's true, when will the next
newsletter be posted?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Several security features in NT relies on features provided by NTFS. And read-only support also doesn't cut it for just accessing existing harddrives. I have multiple external drives that are formatted NTFS and which I write to often.

Newsletter gets written whenever I feel like it. The recent two-week cycle was more of a fluke than anything else because I was on spring break and actually had time to sit down and write them. You really need to stop trying to ascribe a schedule to things when one doesn't exist.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Z98 wrote:You really need to stop trying to ascribe a schedule to things when one doesn't exist.
Alternatively, if you do have some time on your hands nute, and can manage a fair amount of C and WinInternals, I do have something you may be interested in working on...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

ext4fs is out.We should provide support for ext4fs too.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
TiKu

Post by TiKu »

nute wrote:The ReactOS explorer works with the file system
No, it doesn't (at least the new explorer doesn't). Windows Explorer/ReactOS Explorer is a shell browser. It works with the shell. Parts of the shell work with the file system of course.
forart

Post by forart »

»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.