ROS Explorer suggestion

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Quigs

ROS Explorer suggestion

Post by Quigs »

make it so you can login with different user accounts on the "1", "2", "3", and "4". Of course I have no idea how one would do this, which is why I'm putting it up as a suggestion

I was also wondering if any work had been done to make ROS explorer support dual or more moniters...
-Quigs

Example: I'm browsing the web with Firefox on 1, talking on Gaim on 2, and defraging with OpenDefrag on 3 as an admin :)..
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

If I understood right, you want to use the 4 virtual desktop with 4 different users. This might be a problem, because the shell (explorer.exe), wich manages the 4 desktops, is loadad after user logon, I think. So it is restricted to one user.

But there's still fast user switching. On XP push <Win>+"L" and logon as another user. You have to reenter your password, but that's more secure, than just pushing one button and being admin...

I'm sure this will be implemented in the future.

Or do you mean 4 users on 4 monitors? I'm not sure, but this might be possible with special graphic drivers (nVidia?) wich support virtual desktops to be configured for each user.
Quigs

Post by Quigs »

Currently I end the explorer process and restart it using the runas /user:admin, this way I dont have to the whole log on log off thing.

But I would prefer one click change to admin. :), yes you would have to type in your password first, but only once.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

This 1, 2, 3, 4 Buttons of ReactOs Explorer work fine under Windows when you run it there.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Quigs

Post by Quigs »

Yes I know, and I like it. Guess I should explain my idea a little more..

They currently would all run with the permissions of the current user
I would like to see the option to ...well... right click on "3" go to runas user and type in the user name and password.

From then on whenever you go to "3" you have admin privs. all applications you run there will be as an admin. This might require more than one explorer process running at once. It's just an idea.
Sarocet

Post by Sarocet »

I don't really like the idea of a full explorer admin. I mean, it's ok but it'd be better to be oblied to call it from runas for example.
One thing we have to avoid from Windows is that it's so much integrated into the explorer.exe that you are not able to access, let's say, the control panel as admin because you have to access from explorer. So you need login into another account.
You can bypass this a bit calling the .cpl files as admin. Although it works fine with the firewall (the most i have to call this way, to add an exception :wink: ) it won't work with Net Connections because you access directly to the net icon, that is not a file. Moreover, you need knowing the Cpl filename. The names can help you but some names arre rather bizarre (What would you think wscui.cpl is?? --> Answer: It's the Windows Security Center). And there are options unavailable from the .cpl command line because they have multiple 'blocks', so they need to be called with argumentes. If you don't do so, you only get the first one. (And we're not going to learn to call main.cpl ,25 for example (it doesn't works)).
Don't talk about moving files you need special rights for. you need to do it by command line.
The explorer should be able to run with another permissions but the desktop should never run an admin explorer if we are not legged as admins.
Easy runas, yes, but careful. :)
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

A solution may be a little program, wich can do fast user switching with account and password in the commandline. You put it in your quicklaunch and ready. Only one click! But it isn't very secure, I think...
I am not sure, if user switching can be done via API calls. If yes, it should be pretty easy to write.
Blaskowicz

Post by Blaskowicz »

one other solution would be to run "Terminal Server" when it's availlable and log in mutliple times with RDP clients connected to localhost..
I installed windows server 2003 on my PC (best windows ever. I hate XP!).
warezed version of course (Enterprise Edition is something like $3000), and I'm going to try that :)

if it works and I can have my admin session running on a second display.. this will be great for when I need it to install something,
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Sorry for being OT, but I think this has to be said:
Blaskowicz wrote:...
I installed windows server 2003 on my PC (best windows ever. I hate XP!).
warezed version of course (Enterprise Edition is something like $3000), and I'm going to try that :)
It is up to you to use a "warezed" version of Windows, but I don't think it will help the ROS project in any way, if this forum is used to announce illegal copies of licensed software! :(