Why don't we add a Japanese font to ReactOS?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

sabiki wrote:I created a patch.
What should be changed?

sabiki

Re:

Post by sabiki »

hto wrote:
sabiki wrote:I created a patch.
What should be changed?
It is chiefly usetup.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

It's not difficult to add font substitutes to usetup, but I'm not sure which font to choose. I think VL PGothic looks a bit too large. Maybe some other font will suit better?

sabiki

Re:

Post by sabiki »

hto wrote:It's not difficult to add font substitutes to usetup, but I'm not sure which font to choose. I think VL PGothic looks a bit too large. Maybe some other font will suit better?
A Misaki font is smaller than VL Gothic font.
The size of the font file is 147KB.
The license is here.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

I want to say that with VL Gothic, letters on a screen look too large, so text sometimes become cropped. MS UI Gothic seems to have slightly smaller letters.

I don't think that a Japanese font should be committed to the trunk, testers often download CD images from the server, and it will just increase traffic. People who use it can easily add it themselves, instead of downloading it every time. Or maybe somebody can create a Japanese version of ReactOS and offer it to others.

But it's right to commit necessary changes, so people will just put a font file into the fonts directory, without need to manually tweak any settings.

sabiki

Re:

Post by sabiki »

hto wrote: I don't think that a Japanese font should be committed to the trunk, testers often download CD images from the server, and it will just increase traffic. People who use it can easily add it themselves, instead of downloading it every time. Or maybe somebody can create a Japanese version of ReactOS and offer it to others.
I understand that we shouldn't add the Japanese fonts. And ReactOS is in alpha stage for now.
Thanks for thinking about my poor suggestion.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Re: Re:

Post by Lone_Rifle »

sabiki wrote:
hto wrote:It's not difficult to add font substitutes to usetup, but I'm not sure which font to choose. I think VL PGothic looks a bit too large. Maybe some other font will suit better?
A Misaki font is smaller than VL Gothic font.
The size of the font file is 147KB.
The license is here.
He meant PGothic font looks big and takes up too much of the monitor, not that it has a large file size, sabiki =) Misaki is a good find though, well done =)

hto, if Misaki is only 147KB, why not? If anything, it could just be in the release builds, as opposed to the trunk builds, and would probably make the OS more accessible to japanese speakers, more so than say, somebody else forking a japanese distro...

Black_Fox

Re: Why don't we add a Japanese font to ReactOS?

Post by Black_Fox »

Well, will then different languages of usetup use different fonts?

sabiki

Re: Why don't we add a Japanese font to ReactOS?

Post by sabiki »

Black_Fox wrote:Well, will then different languages of usetup use different fonts?
No. Maybe Japanese vga font is not included.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

The suggestion to make the OS more accessible to Japanese people (and to anyone who likes Japanese language) is not poor. I'm just discussing how to do it in the best way.

Even though ReactOS is in alpha stage, attracting more people would be the right thing.

Misaki Gothic and Misaki Mincho both have only small glyphs of one particular size (6), they are not suitable as a default font. There's also other Misaki outline font on that site, but I haven't tried it.

Does anybody know a free Japanese font, which have the metrics about as MS UI Gothic?

Adding Japanese fonts (also Chinese, Korean, Thai, and others in the future) does not require any code changes — it's not forking. A special release can be made as much official as a usual one. Let's first agree on the fonts which are best suited. And then let's ask release engineers to prepare and upload the ISO images to SourceForge next time.

No Japanese translation of USetup — no reason to include a VGA font. If somebody will provide a translation, a font will be added as well.

sabiki

Re:

Post by sabiki »

hto wrote:Does anybody know a free Japanese font, which have the metrics about as MS UI Gothic?
How about IPA Mona fonts?
IPA Mona UI Gothic is included.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

What do you think yourself about that font? I personally don't like both IPA Mona and MS Gothic, they look rather coarse. Perhaps because there are embedded bitmaps in them.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Sabiki, are there any other changes needed to support Japanese, apart from font substitutes in usetup?

sabiki

Re:

Post by sabiki »

hto wrote:Sabiki, are there any other changes needed to support Japanese, apart from font substitutes in usetup?
maybe there aren't.
By the way,Japanese setting was added to usetup in r39960.
But Japanese fonts were not added. Why? Only usetup?

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

I think it was already discussed… Do you have some other suggestions?