reactos system file protection

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Floyd

reactos system file protection

Post by Floyd » Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:47 pm

i have really liked the windows file protection feature of 2000, xp and 2003. is this going to be a feature of ReactOS?
pax mei amici amorque et Iesus sacret omnia

A-v-S
Location: BAEK CITY (Beek, Limburg, The Netherlands, Europe, Earth)

Post by A-v-S » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:04 pm

I hope it will be, but I think it is something for a near 1.0 release,
not for now yet...

and i think it should now be like windows, insert cd... but like
do you want to keep yes/no
"you laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you're all the same"

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~andre

oiaohm

?Do you mean the roll back when a install stuffs up?

Post by oiaohm » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:58 am

Fileprotection makes me think stuff like selinux that controls what programs can harm. Ie a viewer program only need read only on user files. So if a virus infects this file its kinda useless because it will not be able to spreed on. Reduces the effectiveness of viruses and other nasty software.

Roll back is a windows nightmare. Windows XP its still an option to upgrade a dll and take out another program that is using it and Roll back loses the program you installed just installed.

Also Roll back feature is great for viruses. Yep brings the virus back what ever we use has to be virus scanable or prefered virus scanned before returning stuff to the filesystem and before placing in Roll back..

Lets play with the linker and filesystem. This program require X version of dll and this Program requires Y version of dll. The linux resolve don't overwrite dlls provide a way of linking between them.

We have long filenames dllname.dll.version and dllname.dll be a link to default version(ie one that does not cuase trouble). And a new file(might be able to be built into a exe) dllname version and a flag Min or must be. Yep muck with the runtime linker better fix. Just building a cleaning system for this is far better than roll back system.

Placing a config rollback system. Is worth it build a dll roll back for trouble it can cause.

Install tracking is far more effective.

If its done right.

Quigs

Post by Quigs » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:50 pm

sounds like a file system thing to me, we would have to go to do something besides fat unless im misreading the post.

Jaix
Moderator Team

Fileprotection is a good idea...

Post by Jaix » Sun May 01, 2005 9:09 am

Fileprotection is a good idea, but we need a way to switch it off manually to enable easy management if needed, and then a way to make the changes to be added in the fileprotection when switched on again.

tonik

Post by tonik » Mon May 16, 2005 11:03 am

If you ask me, Windows File Protection a gross hack that serves two purposes:

1. Let legacy applications frome the times of `95 and `98 install & work properly.
2. Make the system somewhat more robust when running with admin rights (when every program and its dog can go wild in c:\windows\ as much as it wants).

We shouldn't really care about (1) as most applications worth using are also worth fixing (or there are alternatives)

As for (2), making it possible for a user to work comfortably* without admin rights is all that's needed.

* I do work without admin rights, but it's not really possible for a non-techie unless he has a guru to install stuff for him