recomendation of computer requirements

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gmcomputers

recomendation of computer requirements

Post by gmcomputers »

Hello,downloaded the newest version and tried it after I burnt to a cd,loaded fine and installed on a hardrive with fat format ,what is the recommended computer hardware,cpu memory,and other hardware I would like to work with this OS and hope it goes all the way to a full OS or full release so far it installed booted up but keeps freezing and have to reboot every time I try to do any thing it is an old mother board,a FIC KA-6130,Pentium II 500mhz cpu 128 mb ram will a newer motherboard work with this OS,thanks much
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: recomendation of computer requirements

Post by vicmarcal »

Hi.maybe the problem is the 128MB.
Our requirements are outdated, now we need about 168Mb ram to run it. Do you get to the desktop before freezing?or does it freeze during Loading?
Try to attach another 64MB module.
gmcomputers

Post by gmcomputers »

Hi thanks for reply,switched motherboards to an intel CA810e,and put in 256 megs of ram, it doesn't reconise the onboard video so put in a S3 pci card and seems to work but onboard ethernet doesn't work and added a 3com card but it doesn't either said couldn't find drivers can I just load windows drivers but if so which windows drivers? the system doesn't freeze any more so one problem down thanks for any help
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

we dont have compatibility with much network cards,right now we know some realtek works(look through the forum to know which ones).afaik 3com isnt working. ;)
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

gmcomputers wrote:can I just load windows drivers but if so which windows drivers?
if 3Com provides Windows 2000 Drivers, you'll want those.
gmcomputers

Post by gmcomputers »

ok, will try those,thanks can I use the win 2000 drivers for most of the required drivers?
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Most will not work due to defects in the kernel.
encoded

Post by encoded »

Jesus Christ.... just try it. I myself think it will work! On the front page we say the goal of this project is to provide binary compatibility with Windows(R) drivers and application. If however, it doesn't work, feel free to file a bug report. http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/File_Bugs
silverblade
Developer

Post by silverblade »

encoded, chill out :wink: - gmcomputers just asked some questions.

And yeah we do aim for binary compatibility, but that's our aim, not an indication of how much is supported at this stage.

But of course, we accept bug reports, and patches.

So if anyone wants to try drivers out and file bug reports at the link encoded posted, at least we'll know things need further attention :)
Andrew / Silver Blade

[ external image ]
erkinalp

Reduction on requirements

Post by erkinalp »

We need a executable compactor like the UPX to decrease memory need
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Thx to some recent patches by Alex Ionescu our need of gigantic amounts of RAM in the Setup was corrected. Now the setup even finishes with 24 MB RAM. So I guess ROS works with less RAM as minimal requirement now, because it was the setup which forced us to increase them.

Btw, UPX only decreases HDD need, not RAM. It is being extraced into RAM again to be useable
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

EmuandCo wrote:Thx to some recent patches by Alex Ionescu our need of gigantic amounts of RAM in the Setup was corrected. Now the setup even finishes with 24 MB RAM. So I guess ROS works with less RAM as minimal requirement now, because it was the setup which forced us to increase them.

Btw, UPX only decreases HDD need, not RAM. It is being extraced into RAM again to be useable
I've tried running with 32MB RAM, and while setup does finish, I can't get to the desktop without losing my patience with it. Thrashing issues? Any way we can improve this?