1:1 MSPaint clone - not ? but !

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Haos
Test Team

Re: 1:1 MSPaint clone - not ? but !

Post by Haos »

Polish translation commited

roytam1

Post by roytam1 »

gyROS wrote:
lollebol wrote:but i hate it that it has no transparency support
The original windows API did not support alpha transparency. Although there are extensions today, the internal image is a 24 bit bitmap. (Therefore no transparency support)
Since the only file format Paint for ReactOS supports is windows bitmap and since windows bitmap does not support transparency, implementing it appears to be rather useless.
32bpp bitmap *does* support alpha transparency.

gyROS

Post by gyROS »

No, Windows Bitmaps (device independent bitmaps) do NOT support alpha, even in 32 bit bitmaps. At least not in version 3 which is used by all the software processing windows bitmaps.
If you're using 32 bits per pixel, there are THREE 32 bit bit masks following the info header, one for red, one for green and one for blue. They define which bits are used for which color. Unless you exactly look at those masks, nothing tells you that the 4th byte of the 32 bit pixel value really is unused. Many applications offer to use it for alpha, but it is NOT part of the Windows Bitmap v. 3 specification.

The Bitmap version Windows XP uses for its themes is version 6 I think. It also supports PNG and JPEG compression, but is hardly supported by any software.
Furthermore ReactOS does not yet support alpha based blitting. (Or it does not show it)

reFly

Post by reFly »

gyROS

Post by gyROS »

Paint for ReactOS in het Nederlandse taal. (Het of de?) What a pity I never had the time to learn this language.

Vertaling No. 15. Dank u!

lollebol

Post by lollebol »

actually it's just 'in het Nederlands' but other then that,
your program is working better every update so keep up the good job :D

frmariam

Post by frmariam »

Support for transparent colors would be great! I don't mean soft border for lines or layer... Only transparent/semi transparent color. And painting something as a transparent/semi-transparent color would be great.

Tabs would also be great (for multiple images opened at the same time).

In XP I use this light icon editor Sib Icon Editor simply because it's lite, fast, tabbed and easily allows me to "paint" something as a transparent color! It also has a greyscale bar and transparency scale bar I love. Many times I use it to produce simple layers or manually cut and clean some images. It somehow replaced MS Paint in most cases (for more powerfull stuff I use GIMP or Inkscape).

Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

gyROS

Post by gyROS »

frmariam wrote:Support for transparent colors would be great! I don't mean soft border for lines or layer... Only transparent/semi transparent color. And painting something as a transparent/semi-transparent color would be great.
Paint does not draw anything itself. It delegates everything to the API, which does not support transparent colors.
frmariam wrote:Tabs would also be great (for multiple images opened at the same time).
I'm sorry, but this would require completely rewriting the code. (And it would make the program too different from the original)
frmariam wrote:In XP I use this light icon editor Sib Icon Editor
Try it in ReactOS. Maybe it's already working.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

gyROS wrote:
frmariam wrote:Support for transparent colors would be great! I don't mean soft border for lines or layer... Only transparent/semi transparent color. And painting something as a transparent/semi-transparent color would be great.
Paint does not draw anything itself. It delegates everything to the API, which does not support transparent colors.
Maybe if you say it another 20 times people will start to understand.

oh, btw, is there any chance you could add transparancy to paint.exe ?? ;)

betaluva

Post by betaluva »

@ frnariam, McAfee antivirus tells me that the icon-editor app you like contains a trojan?

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I see hto did some pointer modifications to paint in r.41141, were some problems fixed or just compilation warnings silenced? :-)

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Black_Fox wrote:I see hto did some pointer modifications to paint in r.41141, were some problems fixed or just compilation warnings silenced? :-)
He made both.
He fixed some warnings and also he changed some code. He deletede some Hardcode source.And also he fixed some code about closing the File correctly and changed the CHAR to an Unicode variable. So yes,a mix of compilation warnings fixed and some destroying bugs. :)

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

[…] and changed the CHAR to an Unicode variable.
You're ahead of the progress of development! :) I was only about to convert it to Unicode, but lost network connection. Now, it is really changed.