1:1 MSPaint clone - not ? but !

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

billyswong

Re: 1:1 MSPaint clone - not ? but !

Post by billyswong »

gyROS wrote:What do you think is the best way to go? Load/save file first or custom dialogs first?
Load/save first. This will provide a better taste of "actually usable" app.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Black_Fox wrote:winhlp32.exe was found yesterday to throw exception at startup, so that surely won't run.
Yes,our lovely "tower" found it.

gyROS

Post by gyROS »

Thanks for the many replies!

hh.exe sounds promising.
I'll follow your advice and try to implement "save to file" next. ("load from file" is a little more difficult)

@Kairo: thanks for the list of missing mspaint features, but I know what I've implemented so far. "Set wallpaper" requires the file functions to work, since it only sets the filename in the registry and not the image itself.

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

I have another question.

before win2k mspaint could only save to bmp and i think pcx too, but will you add more filters? not just the standard like jpg and gif but maybe tga, png and so an for export and much more(gimp, psd, ...)for import?

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

gonzoMD wrote:I have another question.

before win2k mspaint could only save to bmp and i think pcx too, but will you add more filters? not just the standard like jpg and gif but maybe tga, png and so an for export and much more(gimp, psd, ...)for import?
I believe that the supported file formats relate to which image formats the Win32 GDI supports natively.

gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

yes, but aren't there any free libs, which are avaible, from which gyROS can take the code, or isn't it technically possible to do it with just WinAPI?
At the moment I am learning WinAPI at the moment, but I am far at the beginning, so I don't have much knowledge about it.

gyROS

Post by gyROS »

GDI+ supports some more formats than standard GDI, so for example JPEG, GIF, PNG etc. but for compatiblity reasons the program only uses GDI. I don't know whether ReactOS already supports it or not and to be honest I do not really care about it, because I want my Paint to run in older Win versions, too (e.g. in Win98 as a replacement). I'm currently programming the file input/output functions for BMP, we can think about other formats once everything else is working.

(I know, this link does not belong here, I just thought, it's a nice one about msPaint: http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=uk2sPl_Z7ZU)

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

gyROS wrote: I'll follow your advice and try to implement "save to file" next. ("load from file" is a little more difficult)
loading and saving files is actually suprisingly easy. Look at imagesoft in rosapps for some tips on how it's done.

gyROS

Post by gyROS »

I've finished the "save as" and "copy to" functions a few minutes ago. Before I can go on with "load from file", the size of the image needs to be changeable. I'll now test the new functions a little more and then upload the new exe. (around 18:00 central european time, so in about 45 minutes)

gyROS

Post by gyROS »

One of the first pictures saved with this paint program:
[ external image ]
The exe is updated now. http://www.freenet-homepage.de/meinstuss/Projekt1.exe

Changes summary:
- tool specific cursors
- status bar has fixed height now (same as MSPaint)
- "select all" is working now (only when rectangular selection tool is active)
- there is a "scroll client" window which is moved instead of the image itself
- "save as" and "copy to" are working now (24bit BMP only, not difficult to extend)

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

so Gyro: Next Goals?

This is going to be a really nice addon for 0.3.9 :D

Thanks for your work

The123king

Post by The123king »

Still would like an english translation, not everyone can speak german ;)

Also, i'd like to see a way of resizing the canvas using pull-tab bits using the mouse, for graphical cropping.

And also i can see this becoming a very worthy addition to Wine. It's one of the only things Wine really lacks. But of course that is all up to you.

The123king

Post by The123king »

GLITCH

Under windows XP, drawing with the pen tool outside the canvas (ie clicking on the canvas and dragging out of the canvas over the tools selectio) throws up some... interesting drawing bugs. Try it yourself because it throws up a few glitches.

Kario

Post by Kario »

TODO:
- before loading "New" (image) ask for save if needed (is something painted) and also before loading/opening an existing file
- display something in file extension field (*.* all files, *.bmp, etc.)
- dont display extension if not written, but if selected *.bmp add it to saved filename

support for many files will be cool but it is thing for future

gyROS

Post by gyROS »

@The123king:

Actually there is not ANY way to resize an image yet, but some preparations are done (so for example not the image, but a window containing it is scrolled, it will include those sizing stuff in the future)
Once the image can be resized I can start work on the load image function.

I think an english translation is not really necessary yet, because you don't miss too much (most menu entries are dummies anyway, and you can guess the remeaning ones), at least it does not have any priority. But for sure I'll add localization capabilities in the future.

I know that there ore some bugs in the pen tool concerning short and int values (if you drag the cursor in a region with negative coordinates, you get those artifacts)
I'll fix them somewhen in the future.