Wild idea: A ReactOS GAME

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

I agree with what Harteex said about the Next Colour indicator. I also think the difficulty might need a bit of working on. But I think it's a great game. I think it would go very well in a ReactOS distribution :)
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

IMO TuxRacer would be boring to have. It would not have anything to do with ReactOS.
As long as no one replaces Tux with Reacty, and calls it ReactRacer ;)
Calitar

Post by Calitar »

Gedi wrote:I personally think Frozen Bubble and Tux Racer would make nice additions, and I think they may already have been ported.
Yes, they have both been ported to windows. I would vote for Frozen Bubble because it seems to be the better of the two and it would appeal more to casual gamers.
counting_pine

Post by counting_pine »

Roman, just to let you know, I found a small bug in your game. If it gets up to the top line in the game, then no matter what you do you can't die. Any well-placed balls actually replace ones already there.
[ external image ]
Sami

Post by Sami »

My suggestion for how we should go forward:
1. Write down few game suggestions to wiki (I already started, check it out)
2. Anyone can write comments of the game ideas or write down new idea
3. When there is few commented suggestions we can vote which one to choose

Don't be shy for editing your ideas to wiki :wink:

Jump in :P : http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/ReactOS_Game
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Just about any 1980's-ish game would work fine. The first thing to do would be to generate a list, and then to point out why the game is relevant to ReactOS. The game itself, if its a clone of an older game, would probably be alot less work to do then people realize.

Games like pinball are especially well suited. I can just see it now, the little ReactOS atom-ball zipping up and down and all around the screen. The trouble with a pinball game is that it would take incredible style to make it fly. Something on the level of a real pinball game's style. If its plain and the style is tame then its lame nd that would be a shame...
Go Huskers!
Lucio Diaz

Post by Lucio Diaz »

Did you ever heard of Battle for Wesnoth? Already a windows compatible, Open source, 2D , highly adictive, strategy game.

I you ever want a "reactos game" that would be my choice (about 30 megs of size, maybe a bit too much for an embeded game but still the best Open Source game out there).
RomanH

Post by RomanH »

Wow! I didn't expect to get this much response on my little game. Thank you all for the tips! The game (obviously) still needs a lot of improvements in pretty much every aspect of it. (graphics, gameplay, sound, features, level of difficulty, finding bugs, more [better] levels, maybe a level editor,...) I'll definitely keep on working on it.
Maybe - once I did some "code cleanup" - I'll turn it into a sourceforge project. We'll see.
I'll post a link here if there are any news. :D

thanks!
RomanH
forart

Post by forart »

Well, guyz i don't agree with all of you.
Instead of "wasting" time in writing new games, I think it would be better to invite open source games developers to port their babies on ReactOS.
This will benefit ROS in 3 ways:
1. More compatible software will be available;
2. More developers will know ReactOS;
3. Possibility of spreading the OS by potting some links on games websites;

Just my opinion.

Note: Why not porting emulators ?!?
MAME
Raine
ZSNES
VBA
Atari800
DOSBox - for DOS games

(search SourceForge for 'emulators' for a huge list)
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

patchworks wrote:Note: Why not porting emulators ?!?
MAME
Raine
ZSNES
VBA
Atari800
DOSBox - for DOS games

If I get what I want ReactOS should be able to Log-In directly to an emulated environment using the multiuser environment, in that way we will be able to run a lot of Games (and other software) not made for the Wintel platform just like the real hardware. http://reactos.com/wiki/index.php/React ... l_Services
Stead

Post by Stead »

theres a game called PlaneShift which is open source, massive online multiplayer thingy, its not finished, but i was curious and i think its impressive how much as been done with it, i had ago and found it highly irrating, but impressive considering its free, anyway the site is http://www.planeshift.it/ maybe if they had a reactos logo painted on there site? 2 big open source projects may be able to help somehow, not sure, just popped into my head :o
Harteex

Post by Harteex »

patchworks wrote:Well, guyz i don't agree with all of you.
Instead of "wasting" time in writing new games, I think it would be better to invite open source games developers to port their babies on ReactOS.
This will benefit ROS in 3 ways:
1. More compatible software will be available;
2. More developers will know ReactOS;
3. Possibility of spreading the OS by potting some links on games websites;

Just my opinion.

Note: Why not porting emulators ?!?
MAME
Raine
ZSNES
VBA
Atari800
DOSBox - for DOS games

Some or all of those emulators already have windows binaries.
Blaskowicz

Post by Blaskowicz »

on top of my list :

- a "solitaire mahjong"
- networked tetris
- clones of MS solitaire and winmine
- reversi

with perhaps a simple but good pinball (better than MS's one)
AcetoliNe

Post by AcetoliNe »

This is my 2c on the game:

I think a 2d platform game would be cool. A figure of Reacty, running and jumping through levels with incredible speed, agility and (compatiblity?) would be very promotive.

The enemies you have to kill could be pieces of malware and bloatware (anybody have any ideas as to how they could be drawn?).

The final goal you have to reach could be complete compatibility with windows, and then there would be millions of users, all sitting in a HUGE stadium waving and cheering for reacty.

It sounds pretty kooky to me. Let me know what you think.

I have coding skills, but most of all I'm willing to work on the art. I already have a rendering of reacty sitting on my hard drive. I'll post it on the net if anyone's interested.
caveman LIKES chocolate.
we shall reinvent the wheel until it turns properly.
ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

patchworks wrote: Note: Why not porting emulators ?!?
MAME
Raine
ZSNES
VBA
Atari800
DOSBox - for DOS games
Lots of emulators for windows you'll find need DirectX. The likes of VBA's SDL version could possibly work (dunno if SDL works yet in general).

Also if it runs on Windows it should run on ReactOS (eventually) there is no 'porting' required.