Windows Drivers

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattig89ch

Windows Drivers

Post by mattig89ch »

My next question is where will we be getting the basic drivers from? Every install has its own set of default drivers (be they legacy or current).

Will we (as in the community) be writing our own, getting them from a windows disk/install?
Statement: Just when I believe my photoreceptors have recorded the last potential aspect of your cruelty to my memory core, you commit a new atrocity that leaves me analyzing its impact for days.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Windows Drivers

Post by vicmarcal »

All the Windows Drivers should be working in ReactOS.(of course right now they arent).
But Reactos doesnt need special drivers,since as Windows is a NT OS. ;)

ironek69

Post by ironek69 »

But the question is, is Reactos going to include basic drivers pack, like Windows does?

SdC

Post by SdC »

ironek69 wrote:But the question is, is Reactos going to include basic drivers pack, like Windows does?
Only open source drivers can be included in the ReactOS released by the ReactOS team; obviously distro builders may include more.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

My post tried to answer this sentence:
mattig89ch wrote:Will we (as in the community) be writing our own...
Writing our own is a waste of time since all default windows drivers must work in Reactos.Also there are some drivers in Internet developed by other projects with GPL licence so,no,we arent developing drivers and i doubt we will develop them. There are some more interestings things todo: making actual drivers work in Reactos,developing USB stack, audio..

Arnor

Post by Arnor »

I think a driver folder that the install would check would be very handy, even when it's empty. At least users know then where to add there own drivers..

mattig89ch

Post by mattig89ch »

also, where will we be getting these drivers from. I don't want to plug in my USB keyboard and find out it doesn't work.
Statement: Just when I believe my photoreceptors have recorded the last potential aspect of your cruelty to my memory core, you commit a new atrocity that leaves me analyzing its impact for days.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

ROS will come with the basic drivers needed to get you started, so keyboards, mice, video, and net should all be functioning out of the box in the future. Everything beyond that it's pretty much up to you to find the drivers for from the manufacturers.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

mattig89ch

Where can u find the drivers? :D
Well..as z98 says,we will not forget to include some drivers...basic ones,as we do nowadays :D
Reactos will be able to work with Windows drivers...so one place to find a lot of drivers is in Windows Xp Cd (i.e),also as i said there are some GPL projects offering Drivers.I´m pretty sure that most of the Drivers included will come from those projects..

But of course Reactos will provide basic drivers ;)...

cppm

Post by cppm »

ReactOS should include the drivers that come with windows (Class drivers and drivers for basic functionality).

It should work with any third party windows NT drivers, whether they are open source or not is a question that the ReactOS project shouldn't have to worry about; In the windows world, it's all about the drivers from the third party (in stark contrast to the Linux world). This will make it easier in some ways for third party FOSS drivers, and harder in other ways.

I should imagine that NT4 Drivers and WDM Drivers are being targeted at the moment or in the foreseeable future. I would be interested whether any thought has gone into the future state of play with WDF (Vista) drivers.

I've heard some talk about ReactOS creating it's own FOSS DDK, although i'm under the impression that other priorities are taking precedence. IMO this would be a great idea since it would empower the development of FOSS drivers for Windows/ReactOS.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

WDF is just an extension of WDM.

I highly doubt having a FOSS DDK would "empower" development of open source drivers. There's nothing stopping people from writing open source drivers for Windows right now. It's not as if the WDK costs anything.

cppm

Post by cppm »

Z98 wrote:I highly doubt having a FOSS DDK would "empower" development of open source drivers. There's nothing stopping people from writing open source drivers for Windows right now. It's not as if the WDK costs anything.
Well i'll be darned. For some reason I thought the WDK did have a licensing fee for it. (I think the IFS DDK has one right?).

Still a FOSS DDK would be a good idea, for completeness sake.

dawinsor87

Post by dawinsor87 »

One thing that would be on my wishlist for ROS regarding drivers is beating out windows on their "we'll find a driver online" for you which never works. Nothing is more frustrating then being unable to find a driver, and then in a last ditch effort, using windows' automatic driver updater which yet again didn't work.

Of course, whether or not it's feasible, I really have no idea :D , just a thought.

Techsalvager

Post by Techsalvager »

dawinsor87 wrote:One thing that would be on my wishlist for ROS regarding drivers is beating out windows on their "we'll find a driver online" for you which never works. Nothing is more frustrating then being unable to find a driver, and then in a last ditch effort, using windows' automatic driver updater which yet again didn't work.

Of course, whether or not it's feasible, I really have no idea :D , just a thought.
I'll recommend you check up SIW for when you need to find drivers its a small app thats stand alone and gives you system info. Reguarding MS driver online update I have used it and its worked before for me, it all depends on device.

forart

Post by forart »

mattig89ch wrote:where will we be getting the basic drivers from?
DriverPacks.net :idea:
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.