Reactos 0.3.8

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tuqueque

Re: Reactos 0.3.8

Post by tuqueque »

Hi Hunkadoodledoo (what a nickname :P)

Is nice to be here and i don't plan to leave :)...

Maybe i explained bad my idea... You see...

AFAIK, this thread was created for one of React devs to get feedback from users and people in general... The "problem" seems that mos people is suggesting or demanding "unachievable" things for next release...

So my proposal is that developers create a sort of list with some of the things they see as achievable for next release but can't work on all of them... for example, create a list with 10 things they could work on, and ONLY select the top five (voted in that poll) to actually work on for the next release so time could be invested in people's most wanted features from the list.

That way they can "limit" our demands to something they can manage... and everybody is happy :)

aaand... if people feel like they can propose something achievable that is not on the list, they can always comment here on the thread :)... This is as close as i can suggest for world peace.

Peace
tuqueque
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Hope this doesn't sounds pretentious, but here is an explanation.
The devs generally have the intellegance to know which parts are the most important to implement and don't really need advising on what needs doing to improve ReactOS.

Now, here's the thing that may throw most people off. Just because devs know which parts are the most important, doesn't mean that those parts will get worked on first.
This is open source, and unfortunatley the free open source model doesn't work as well as the closed source model.
Devs write code for fun, not to pay the mortgage. If someone would ever be willing to poach the devs from their full time job, pay them well and provide a more focused model, then key areas would be forced attention. Unfortunatley, ReactOS doesn't yet have this funding, thus the open source free for all model will provail.

If you can assist with finding funding to support ReactOS development, then this model willl change as people will be driven by both fun/desire and have the ability to pay the mortgage.
It's these bill payments which currently drive ReactOS. Until we wipe this hurdle out, you're all stuck with leaving development in the hands of a self motivated programmer.

Hope that makes sense.
tuqueque

Post by tuqueque »

Hello Ged...

It doesn't sounds pretentious for me at least... just seems that i confused vicmarcal user with a developer, so i thought this was sort of serious "official" thread.

So it's ok Ged, my mistake :)... keep up the good work!
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Uhmm tuqueque..I´m not a developer...not yet...
The idea is just giving a thread to talk about 0.3.8,so forum could be a little bit more organized,instead opening tons of different threads :D. This thread is like "Reactos 0.3.7" thread,here people can talk about suggestions,opinions,indeed questions to be answered.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You dont need to be a progammer to help ROS. What we always need would be persistence and dedication. We always need people that are willing to help out ROS not just once, but continously, by testing our development tree and reporting bugs.

You can run ROS in virtual machines or on real hardware. The latter is more fiffictult, as you need a dedicated machine for ROS testbed, as well as secondary machine for debug log colleting. Its all written up in our wiki.

Shall you have any detailed questions, you can ask them here or on our irc channel #reactos that is located on irc.freenode.net server.
tuqueque

Post by tuqueque »

Uhmm tuqueque..I´m not a developer...not yet...
The idea is just giving a thread to talk about 0.3.8,so forum could be a little bit more organized,instead opening tons of different threads :D. This thread is like "Reactos 0.3.7" thread,here people can talk about suggestions,opinions,indeed questions to be answered.
It's cool :), so far feedback is nice and indeed is a good idea this thread.

And Haos, yup, mi idea is to eventually be a fairly active member here, just right now my hardware is unsupported. I'll wait until 0.4 or something like that to start testing... Hopefully by then, my hardware will be supported.

Greets
tuqueque.
[W]arriant

Post by [W]arriant »

tuqueque wrote:And Haos, yup, mi idea is to eventually be a fairly active member here, just right now my hardware is unsupported. I'll wait until 0.4 or something like that to start testing... Hopefully by then, my hardware will be supported.
I don't want to be pessimistic but I think 0.4 won't do it. Try running it in a virtual machine, it works there somehow and you won't have to wait.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Unfortunately, if you want your hardware supported, you have to test it and submit bugs if it doesnt work. Otherwise you have to hope someone else will do it for you...
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Haos wrote:Unfortunately, if you want your hardware supported, you have to test it and submit bugs if it doesnt work. Otherwise you have to hope someone else will do it for you...
Like me, since I can't output debug, no ports for null modem cables.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

IYERU

You can use Virtual Machines, Virtual Machines doesnt need NULL cables to take a Debug Log.Debug Log will be a file in your PC.
So you can help testing without needing RH.And also without NULL cables.;)
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

vicmarcal, Iyeru wants -real- hardware support, so it only makes sense for him to test real hardware and get the relevant cables, etc. if not for the fact that his hardware has no serial ports.

In any case, there are other priorities. Fixing MM and the win32k subsystem for instance...
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

General stability and compatibility in kernel mode is definitely one thing we should see more of in 0.3.8.

As for my own attempts, together with a group of devs I'm working on a new installer (RI2, or ROSE), which will add network install among other things, a new bootloader, and of course USB support (full WDM, NT5-style USB stack. Working on the crippled NT4 stack would be a waste of time).
Zvince

Post by Zvince »

I read the 0.37 thread, from the begining (when it was created).
Now I read this one, about 0.38.
I dont understand people who want a kind of poll or survey to say "we want that first" or "this is the most important thing for us".
Would you call Microsoft, Adobe, Sun, Ibm, or who you want, and say "I want this feature in the next release" ? You might, but they would ask "how much money can you give for that ?".
If you can help, do it.
If you cant, wait for the next release.
But let the devs do what they can do when they have time to do it ...
(wont get many friends with this post ...)
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Zvince wrote:I read the 0.37 thread, from the begining (when it was created).
Now I read this one, about 0.38.
I dont understand people who want a kind of poll or survey to say "we want that first" or "this is the most important thing for us".
Would you call Microsoft, Adobe, Sun, Ibm, or who you want, and say "I want this feature in the next release" ? You might, but they would ask "how much money can you give for that ?".
If you can help, do it.
If you cant, wait for the next release.
But let the devs do what they can do when they have time to do it ...
(wont get many friends with this post ...)
Fair points, but just to provide a counterexample, Dell has an IdeaStorm where they receive user suggestions for what to include. Incidentally, there is an idea started by Fireball himself to have ReactOS as one of the OS options in Dell machines, in addition to FreeDOS, Linux and Windows

http://www.ideastorm.com/apex/ideaView? ... 00007trAAA
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

What about entering that link and voting ReactOS fireball idea?
Each time u vote...ten points is given
You can use a false email..since they dont send u validation...
:D
Being in the top places..makes the idea being studied by Dell..