Reactos 0.3.8

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hto
Developer

Re: Reactos 0.3.8

Post by hto » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:10 pm

[W]arriant wrote: But there are also many developers that _can_ choose to work on something more important.
There are not so many developers, and everybody already chose his area.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:20 pm

You are basically mixing up two conditions that are negating itself.

Yes, developers get to choose the field on which they`d like to work.
No, you cannot tell them to work on something YOU feel is important. The reality is that even ReactOS team members would not be able to agree on what is most and what is less important...Every single person on this forum possibly has different opinion on that. You sir, cannot dictate others what should they work on, its the dev`s own and independent choice.

[W]arriant

Post by [W]arriant » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:23 pm

_
Last edited by [W]arriant on Sun May 29, 2011 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[W]arriant

Post by [W]arriant » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:28 pm

_
Last edited by [W]arriant on Sun May 29, 2011 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hto
Developer

Post by hto » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:38 pm

I just post my point of view, like many people do.
You're right, stable work in an emulator is more important then support of real hardware, fixing the kernel and graphics bugs is more important then audio or USB. It's all known, your point is not new.

zydon

Post by zydon » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:52 pm

At some point, I'm in agreement with [w]arriant for ReactOS developer team to make the stable version based on known a few hardware such as provided by PC emulators. ReactOS is not MS-Windows and having stable foundation to refer with is more important than making support to various new hardwares.

Once ReactOS have stable version, programmers references and DDK is what most it's users and developers waiting for. Because of the common structure of developing application and drivers for ReactOS make it different than MS-Windows even though they're compatible. Once, the templates are there, the progress will be growing on it's course.

Just my 2 cents thought.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:06 pm

Coming back to topic, a user-guided proposal for a roadmap may be useful to the devs. vicmarcal, could you start collating the suggestions in your first post by editing it?

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:15 pm

Uh, I'm going to just cut this off right now. A user guided proposal isn't going to help, simply because the requests that have been put forth so far have been rather unrealistic. USB support is the closest to completion, but suggesting it might make it in before 0.3.8 is highly optimistic and asking for it won't necessarily get it done in time anyways. Sound is far away and Andrew has been inactive for a while due to real life, since moving does take time. SATA is also a no-go since that would require a better functioning storage stack, or even a new one, and that's a whole lot of work by itself.

What people request may not be what is actually possible, either from a technical standpoint or from the simple lack of manpower.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:21 pm

Z98 wrote: What people request may not be what is actually possible, either from a technical standpoint or from the simple lack of manpower.
Obviously. The point of the exercise however is see if the user community at large can actually come up with something that is achievable, no matter how low the odds of that happening are. If anything, the community can learn based on our subsequent feedback what is and what is not achievable, and so adjust their proposals relevantly.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:50 pm

I´m with u Lone_Rifle,maybe people could gave us good ideas (or at least achievable).
I will make that list, of course it will be updated with users ACHIEVABLE suggestions.Before making any suggestion search for them in the Forums:new Design,cloud computer,Linux running,KDE and so...has been discussing in about 333333333333333 threads.
I give a small example:

-Next release will be in January.What about a Christhmas Wallpaper??(this is almost stupid but achievable...and of course the Design Work would be done by forum guys.Developers will just change the Wallpaper theme.

This is a stupid idea,but an achievable one :D

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:23 am

Achievable and productive, should have qualified.

fred02

Post by fred02 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:48 pm

vicmarcal wrote:-Next release will be in January.What about a Christhmas Wallpaper??(this is almost stupid but achievable...and of course the Design Work would be done by forum guys.Developers will just change the Wallpaper theme.

This is a stupid idea,but an achievable one :D
As silly as it sound I like the idea :lol: It will also make a great library for later (re)usage.

tuqueque

Post by tuqueque » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:30 pm

Hi... i'm new to this forum, i've found just yesterday about ReactOS and i'm very enthusiastic about the project...

I'm a graphic designer and my computer usage is a little odd compared to the general user... I work mainly in 3d fx, video editing, sound editing, image manipulation... but mainly 3d. I'm a big fan of Open Source and use a lot Blender, Inkscape, http://gimp.org/... anyway, you get the idea... My system is 64 bit (Vista) and next week i'll getting a couple of Quad cores with some nice specs and sort of fancy hardware (SATA discs, DDR3, blah blah)... The point is that i would like to eventually help with React Alpha/Beta testing but of course for now i think my hardware is unsupported. I'll wait until 0.4 versions to give React a try...

Another point is that i find very useful this thread because allows a nice feedback directly from users, BUT even when i'm quite a nerd/geek, i know nothing about programing and is hard for me to suggest "achievable" and productive things here in this thread... And is clear that the same happens to most people in this thread...

Sooo... my two cents for now would be for developers to suggest themselves in some sort of POLL possible achievable things so the users could choose the most desired options they want to be in the next release(s)... That would be maybe a good way for developers to receive a better feedback and prioritize work... and still people could comment just like they are doing it right now in this same thread...

'Hope this helps...

Greets.
tuqueque.

Hunkadoodledoo

Post by Hunkadoodledoo » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:57 am

Good to see you over here, tuqueque!

I've been following ReactOS for a while, and something I've learned from watching this project (and other FOSS projects, mainly Blender) evolve, is that the developers will do what they 1) know how to do and 2) want to do. I don't mean that in any disrespect to the developers, users or you, but just because the user base is clamoring for a feature doesn't seem to make it that much of a higher priority - at least as far as these projects go. Just look how long it took to get volumetrics in Blender...And that only happened because a single, motivated developer decided to take on that challenge as a thesis project for his University. It wasn't because 50 or 100 or 10,000 people requested it in a poll. How about something relatively simple like customizable hot-keys. That won't be a reality until 2.50, and the developers pretty much have to rewrite Blender from the ground up.

I think that suggestions are always nice. Demands...not so much. We can always help by bug testing, translating, learning to code or advertising the project.

Again, it is good to see you over here, and I hope you keep following the project. It has some major potential!

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:07 am

If you want a specific feature, you could always donate for its completion.
If you are not willing to pay, then why would a developer work for months to implement it, even if do not want to? :?: :?: :?: