suggestion

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DGMurdockIII

suggestion

Post by DGMurdockIII »

What about having a Reactos Server, Mobil, Tablet, and Home/Business And also amke it so it is both 32bit and 64bit but only installes in 64 bit if it detectors you have a 64 bit enabled chip
Haos
Test Team

Re: suggestion

Post by Haos »

What for?

There will be 32/64bit versions of course, but the rest?
Aape

Post by Aape »

I think what the OP had in mind was for ReactOS to have different versions, suited for different tasks and platforms, ala Vista's rainbow of different versions.

ReactOS is an Open Source project. This means that anyone who wants to can create and distribute modified versions of ROS. I can see the ROS team maintaining the desktop and server variants, but I don't see any reason for specialized versions to all be handled by the ReactOS developers. Anyone who wants to is free to do that themselves.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The probability of the devs even maintaining two versions, desktop and server, is highly unlikely. After all, Vista and 2k8 are basically the same OS, just with different default settings and some features locked out in Vista.
Aape

Post by Aape »

Not like we're trying to sell anything here. I don't speak for the developers, but maintaining a clone release of ROS that's stripped down in features that the desktop version has along with a few utilities that only a server would need doesn't seem to be an absurd idea.
SdC

Post by SdC »

Aape wrote:.... doesn't seem to be an absurd idea.
Untill you yourself are the one who has to sacrifice your owntime to maintain a distribution... think about it. Wouldn't you agree that the developers time would be much better spent on creating functionality and compatibility for everyone? The end user will have the choice to install or not install "workstation" components such as a media player or "server" components such as a Webserver.
The differentiation that MS has made is purely to create price differences, and that is a reason that ReactOS doesn't have to deal with.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

If anything, somebody else can create their own distros. Or individuals can customise ROS to meet their own ends.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

That s the main feature of Open Project.

You can make distros.As Linux distros.But right now developers are (and have to)focusing in coding. There are much worker in coding area,so they dont have a break ;).
People with less coding skills could spendt its time making distros.
People without coding skills can translate Web.
It would be a waste of time using a Coder to translate web or making distros.

Anyone can help the project,if he/her wants.
"i dont know how to code"..is the worst excuse i have never heard.

:D
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

vicmarcal wrote:"i dont know how to code"..is the worst excuse i have never heard.
What if someone said they couldn't translate and couldn't code? :| I really can't code (last language I tried learning was VB.NET, and I can't really remember it anymore), nor can I translate very well (since I have no foreign language skills other than my broken spanish.)

I tried learning C++ once, but it was way harder than I expected. This is why I switched to my Liberal Arts major.
SdC

Post by SdC »

In that case you can help monitor the forum and shield the Developers from pointless questions and suggestions such as this topic.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

You could test ROS, as we need as many testers as possible.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Haos wrote:You could test ROS, as we need as many testers as possible.
I can't output debug though. Both my 32-bit and 64-bit computers have no way of interfacing with a null modem cable (no male serial ports.) I also don't know where hyperterminal is for Vista, so I can't debug anyway for my 32 bit computer even if both had male serial ports. (I need the female ports for my monitors of course)
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

That's what VMs are for.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

You can help ReactOS simply by telling people about it. The more people there are looking at it, the more potential translators, developers, testers etc. it will have.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

I could put it in my signatures on message boards I go to, but I'm pretty sure that won't help, I'm rather "not famous" on boards, and often have bad reputations with them. I already put up a DeviantART News Article about 0.3.5 I believe.