ReactOS 0.3.7

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: ReactOS 0.3.7

Post by Z98 »

Okay, this is just getting ridiculous now. The script that is being run in Andrew's sig isn't even on his computer. It's basically a link in his sig to the danasoft site. I could easily write up something that does exactly the same thing using Javascript. All it is is a gimmick, one that's very common on the web. I've seen it used by many projects to point you to the correct installer when you download stuff from their site as well as direct you to a mirror close to your location to make the download faster. Andrew hasn't gone to any trouble, he's simply using a sig released by a third party for amusement purposes, a script that even a newcomer to web development could write, since it's one of those examples that is used to teach concepts. The same information that you see displayed is also likely logged by all the major websites you visit. Even we are likely to log it through Google Analytics so that we can examine what kind of traffic we're getting. Does that imply anything malicious? No. We're simply seeing who's visiting the site.

Releasing a new version is not as simple as just relabeling the latest version of trunk, assuming that version is even booting. It first gets branched, then various hacks applied to compensate for missing components, and then tested to make sure said hacks are doing their job and haven't made things worse. Then there's the changelog, which is damn long and quite frankly is on the bottom of the todo list for the developers. This fact isn't going to change no matter how important anyone thinks it is. So assuming I get handed a release target from Aleksey, I need to hound the developers to get their changelogs done, do the changelogs for those in situations where they can't do it, and whatever little pieces that might fall along the way. This is assuming I myself have time to do any of that, which was not the case for the past two weeks. Which means I don't even know the state of trunk, which means until I catch up, the developers are likely to use that as an excuse for not doing their changelogs, which means the release won't happen. Which is why we don't give out release dates, since there's absolutely no guarantee they'll be kept.

By the way, the changelogs are basically a legal necessity to document changes in the ROS project because of our licensing, so no, we can't not do them. Despite the wishes of certain people.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Z98 wrote:Releasing a new version is not as simple as just relabeling the latest version of trunk, assuming that version is even booting. It first gets branched, then various hacks applied to compensate for missing components, and then tested to make sure said hacks are doing their job and haven't made things worse. Then there's the changelog, which is damn long and quite frankly is on the bottom of the todo list for the developers. This fact isn't going to change no matter how important anyone thinks it is. So assuming I get handed a release target from Aleksey, I need to hound the developers to get their changelogs done, do the changelogs for those in situations where they can't do it, and whatever little pieces that might fall along the way. This is assuming I myself have time to do any of that, which was not the case for the past two weeks. Which means I don't even know the state of trunk, which means until I catch up, the developers are likely to use that as an excuse for not doing their changelogs, which means the release won't happen. Which is why we don't give out release dates, since there's absolutely no guarantee they'll be kept.

By the way, the changelogs are basically a legal necessity to document changes in the ROS project because of our licensing, so no, we can't not do them. Despite the wishes of certain people.
In short, just use the damn trunk builds. They're much more fun and all the cool kids are doing it.

EDIT: Also, this:
http://cia.vc/stats/project/ReactOS wrote:08:56 today ReactOS
Commit by cfinck on ros-branch-0_3_7 :: r36636 /:
Branch for the 0.3.7 release

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

A spy told me 0.3.7 will be very soon ;)...before Monday..hehe

cppm

Post by cppm »

nute wrote:Microsoft will abandon the NT architecture to maintain it's monopoly and unfortunately a lot of people will insist that they need Microsoft's latest OS.
Microsoft will never abandon Win32 in the sense that it will always be a requirement for compatibility purposes, in this sense DOS is still around. NT has proven to be a very robust and effective architecture for the win32 platform, not least because it was designed with it in mind (providing a comparison to wines laudable but ultimately limited grafting of win32 onto *nix)

These facts and the strong existing NT driver and application base mean that if Microsoft were to suddenly announce tomorrow that they were dropping NT, it would probably benefit ReactOS more than anything else.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

ROTFL BRILIANT!!!

Hunkadoodledoo

Post by Hunkadoodledoo »

nute wrote:So far, it has taken a decade plus to get to this point. If it is going to take another decade for ReactOS to stabilize, the efforts could be better spent getting more people to accept Linux which is stable now.
Hmmm...Well, I suppose that is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. But it is rather presumptive of you to tell people what to do with their own spare time.
nute wrote:I don't appreciate people recording my ISP and any other identifying information they can get their hands on when I access reactos.org, and I'm sure I'm not alone.
Well, you'll have to stop visiting 90% of the sites your currently visit. If you are that paranoid, check out Tor:

http://www.torproject.org
Here's a blurb from the website:
"Tor is a software project that helps you defend against traffic analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relationships, and state security."

Aside from that, all of the other standard answers apply:
The release dates are not set in stone...
If you really want to use an updated version, download the trunk...
If you want the release to come out sooner, learn to code, file bug reports, stop bugging devs on the forums, etc...

cppm

Post by cppm »

And it should be pointed out that the current trunk builds are some fine ROS

spoons

Post by spoons »

Hi there.

What applications work in 0.3.7 branch (or trunk) that did not work with 0.3.6? The system seemed very unstable with 0.3.6 and below, is 0.3.7 more stable?

Thanks.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Uhmm putty seems to work...
0.3.7 is supossed to be more stable...
Now there is a odd problem with samba-tng installer...so...maybe 0.3.7 release will be delayed...:(

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

nute wrote:So far, it has taken a decade plus to get to this point. If it is going to take another decade for ReactOS to stabilize, the efforts could be better spent getting more people to accept Linux which is stable now.
When it comes to Linux, I'd much rather put my efforts into making it fail.
I hate Linux with a passion.

So you see, the 'Why not work on Linux instead' argument, which we've endured for years, is invalid.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@nute

I thoroughly hate your approach. I wish someone would use the same arguments against Linus Torwalds, when he created Linux.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

Haos wrote:@nute

I thoroughly hate your approach. I wish someone would use the same arguments against Linus Torwalds, when he created Linux.
although it should be noted that Torvalds only created Linux because he wanted an Unix system to play with. It caught on with all the geeky physics and math compsci types when they realised they could customise it to do the things they want to do well, as opposed to the one size fits all approach that Windows takes. I don't think he ever wanted to take over the desktop, and although Linux is as stable as you want it to be (or not be), i doubt that would ever be relevant to its potential as a consumer OS.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I don't have anything against Linux, but if fanatics force people to use (not completely literally, but you know what I mean) it even if they don't feel like that, it's no wonder that many people end up hating it eventually. If there can be opensource Unix, why not opensource Windows?

What is much more positive, is watching new release branches grow. It's like having birthday every two months. :)

cppm

Post by cppm »

Ged wrote:I hate Linux with a passion.
I don't understand how anyone can 'hate' an OS. (or in this case, as Linux is actually a kernel, a series of OS's)

For me 'hate' describes, in quite emotional sense, an aversion to the very thing itself, not something about it. This doesn't seem to make sense with OS's, in my mind they're like tools to perform a particular task of utilising a computer. But because this hate isn't about any particular property, even if it works well, performs the task at hand and there are no hitches, the person doing the hating will not use it.

This is not an idle semantic observation, I myself know people who will be all enthused about a particular innovation or capability, until I tell them it's on linux. Or vice-versa with windows, and do I even need to say anything about the mac faithfull.

Why people cripple their functionality due to supposed 'loyalty' to a particular piece of software, I will never understand

PS: it's funny now that the windows 'fanbase' has fragmented, even the Microsoft faithfull have to wail on each other over Vista and XP... again largely irrational.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

When a developer here says they "hate" Linux, they hate it for technical reasons, meaning they feel the technology or methods used in Linux sucks. They do not use the term lightly, as for the most part they understand what the Linux kernel is doing to achieve certain functionality (lots and lots of hacks), the primary reason they abhor it. It's also for this same reason that quite a few of them have a healthy respect for the BSDs, Solaris, and even Mac OS X, to an extent, in that proper design and correct implementation is the driving point in those OSes.