ReactOS 0.3.7

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: ReactOS 0.3.7

Post by vicmarcal »

Ged dont be a bad boy ;)
Shawhifox

Post by Shawhifox »

http://elmoknowswhereyoulive.ytmnd.com/

5 Years ago I was suspecting with this type of signature also, just beggining to use inet xD It doesen't help the fact that they placed in them "etern navigator to your ports" :lol:

ReactOS is detected "Windows NT" 8)
nute

Post by nute »

Okay, so my browser is giving away what my operating system is, what it is, and of
course my IP address is easy enough to get... this doesn't explain someone putting up
a post that lists this information in this thread. It isn't helpful IMHO to tell the person
who asks, "when will ReactOS 0.3.7 come out," shut up. Maybe it only tells my
information to me and the moderator, but why do this? Hmm, I betcha this person
can't tell me what version of Linux I'm using.

Seriously though, when is 0.3.7 coming out?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

That banner is part of his signature, nothing else. He hasn't "posted" anything, and it's different for every person that looks at the thread, since it only displays THEIR information to THEM, not anyone else.

Also, you aren't going to get an answer on when the release date will be, since we don't provide one. We provide nothing more specific than a general timeframe and we also are more than willing to let that timeframe go by if we feel there's a need for it to squash particularly annoying bugs. We have no set deadlines nor do we hold ourselves to any informal ones, since this project is still in alpha. Nor do we feel the lack of deadlines is a problem, since holding any of the developers to them is pretty much impossible and doesn't really motivate them any more than they already are.
nute

Post by nute »

"The banner is part of his signature, nothing else..." Or, maybe he's collecting information about the ISPs
and operating systems that people who frequent this thread are using. Which IMO is a breach of privacy.
Yes the average browser I realize provides all this information, but most organizations discard it.

If it takes more than a month to get 0.3.7 out, if it takes 6 months to get it out, will the mantra there is no
deadline still be chanted? Taking more than a couple of days to get it out seems extreme, but if there's
no deadline who is to say that that won't happen? I don't buy into the asking about it will slow down
release efforts rhetoric.

Deadlines are motivational or else managers wouldn't use them. College professors hesitate little to impose
them. All the effort that has gone into ReactOS so far will be for not if there isn't significant progress going
forward. ReactOS has improved judging from the last newsletter, maybe it's good enough now for a release.

This project is moving along better than freedos is, but not by much it seems. At least freedos is stable
enough to use on a regular basis.
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

nute wrote:"The banner is part of his signature, nothing else..." Or, maybe he's collecting information about the ISPs
and operating systems that people who frequent this thread are using. Which IMO is a breach of privacy.
Yes the average browser I realize provides all this information, but most organizations discard it.
You are far too paranoid. Get out much?
nute wrote:If it takes more than a month to get 0.3.7 out, if it takes 6 months to get it out, will the mantra there is no
deadline still be chanted? Taking more than a couple of days to get it out seems extreme, but if there's
no deadline who is to say that that won't happen? I don't buy into the asking about it will slow down
release efforts rhetoric.
To your first question, yes. To your second, so what if it doesn't happen; if a project dies, so be it, it's not the end of the world. People move on. And to your statement, if interpreted literally, it would, since the devs would be distracted trying to answer your persistent replies.
nute wrote:Deadlines are motivational or else managers wouldn't use them. College professors hesitate little to impose
them. All the effort that has gone into ReactOS so far will be for not if there isn't significant progress going
forward. ReactOS has improved judging from the last newsletter, maybe it's good enough now for a release.
We have no managers here. Neither are we an academic organisation. We are just a bunch of people with a little time on our hands pursuing a little hobby. And while you may think that ROS has progressed to justify a release, others (like the devs) may not; if you are really that impatient, there are always the trunk builds. http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds .
nute wrote:This project is moving along better than freedos is, but not by much it seems. At least freedos is stable
enough to use on a regular basis.
Because DOS was perhaps more trivial to replicate than Windows is.
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Why do you people constantly ask about 0.3.6, 0.3.7, etc., when new revisions come out every day?!
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Thanks Long_Rifle, well and also...if u wanna have 0.3.7 now, become a Developer,help coding,and 0.3.7 will be released earlier :D

New Devs are wellcomed,arent they?

So less foruming and more coding :D
cppm

Post by cppm »

nute wrote:"The banner is part of his signature, nothing else..." Or, maybe he's collecting information about the ISPs
Ignoring for the moment that you don't seem to have politely acknowledged your previous outrage was a gross mistake; If he was doing this, why for goodness sakes would he advertise the fact on his sig!?

Besides many organizations collect data on which ISP's, OS's and browsers people are using. When you set up a website there are loads of tools to find this out and put it into nice little graphs, the ones from google are a good example. I'm sure ReactOS.org and any popular website you go to collect this information.

Well then nute, I guess you had better run to the hills, they're collecting information on you, aren't they? Or, you could consider for a moment that given how available this information is for so long... that nobody actually cares about what OS and ISP you're using anyway. You remain anonymous afterall.

As if all that isn't enough, if you really are the savvy computer type who knows when the next release of ReactOS should be out (to hell with the developers!) you could check out the source of the image in the sig and find out that it comes from a site called danasoft.com. And guess what, it's a website for custom sigs, nothing more, it isn't affiliated with andrewweb in any way.

Geeez....
Shawhifox

Post by Shawhifox »

http://www.metges.net/alcaine/sign/castellano.htm

How do you think the web of firefox knows what SO you use to give a proper link?

http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/
nute

Post by nute »

Outrage? Most of the posts in this thread aren't mine. What is the point of collecting information about which ISP someone is accessing ReactOS.org from? It should be irrelevant unless you want to complain to someone's ISP to try and get them kicked off the net. This is assuming that all ISPs are created equal, which they should be. A few years, not a few decades, is the amount of time that ReactOS has to mature. So far, it has taken a decade plus to get to this point. If it is going to take another decade for ReactOS to stabilize, the efforts could be better spent getting more people to accept Linux which is stable now. Companies like mygamecompany.com are proving that Linux can support commercial software that people want to use. My question, why is Andrewweb posting your connection information to you, is relevant. If he is posting it, he is probably recording it. If he has gone to the trouble of finding out who so and so's ISP is, why is he doing this?

I don't appreciate people recording my ISP and any other identifying information they can get their hands on when I access reactos.org, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

It should be easier to make Linux and X more user/software friendly than to say write a Windows compatible operating system from the ground up that can use drivers and software written for Microsoft Windows. It should be easier to simply write software for Linux. If it takes more than a reasonable amount of time to stabilize ReactOS, is it worthwhile to do so? Microsoft will abandon the NT architecture to maintain it's monopoly and unfortunately a lot of people will insist that they need Microsoft's latest OS.
ReactOS stabilizing before Microsoft abandons NT could make a big difference.
nute

Post by nute »

All of my posts in this thread plus this one, 8. That's 8 out of 50+ posts. Sadly, none of the posts on here provide much of a clue as to when 0.3.7 is coming out. What are the current problems? Why is the latest trunk release not 0.3.7?
Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

nute wrote:Outrage? Most of the posts in this thread aren't mine. What is the point of collecting information about which ISP someone is accessing ReactOS.org from? <insert noise about how ReactOS is too slow to be anything meaningful>
The content in the few posts that you did post seem to indicate outrage. If you are really concerned about privacy, use an anonymiser. Just don't rant about it here. We honestly cannot care less.
hefner

Post by hefner »

people using such signatures are wants to shock "paranoid users" with the free existing information about them...
Every server collects informations about you ... you cant hide yourself effectively

MS is not going to abandon NT ... even Windows 7 will be NT ...
Today there are no real Chance for MS to establish a "None Windows" OS...

If you cant wait for the release ... download a trunk build and create bugreports ;)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

There arent any problems,everyday is released different revisions.Developers release a Version when they think there is a small nice "jump" from previous one.These months they have been patching and improving some mainly features to reduce BSODs.These features are really important but maybe not enough "visual" for users.Maybe that´s the reason this version is taking longer.Or maybe just a developer decision.