ReactOS 0.3.7

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Matthias

Re: ReactOS 0.3.7

Post by Matthias » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:38 pm

Ged wrote:
cppm wrote:
Ged wrote:I hate Linux with a passion.
I don't understand how anyone can 'hate' an OS. (or in this case, as Linux is actually a kernel, a series of OS's)
I don't just hate the kernel, I hate everything about it.
It's architecture, it's look and feel, It's endless distros, it's file system layout, it's software, it's community.
The fact that to intall stuff, I have to type:

Code: Select all

tar xzf <crappy software>
cd <crappy software>
./configure
make
make install
then get fustrated when the libraries used are different that the ones I have, starting the endless tar, cd, ./configue, make crap all over again.

I could go on forever, but I'll just point you to my favorite blog to save me time :)
http://linuxhaters.blogspot.com

I do however enjoy watching it fail on the desktop.
Nothing pleases me more to see MS taking over the new netbook market whilst ordinary users return linux netbooks because they assumed it was Windows .. haha
lusers are soo out of touch with the real world.

Thank you for allowing me to let off some steam, I feel much better now :)
Oh my god, what a pathetic troll you are...

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:20 pm

I fail to see how expressing an opinion in reply to something which is being discussed, along with having a bit of light hearted fun can be considered trolling.
You appear to be hypocritical.

Don't push your luck Matthias. You're already an unwelcome visitor in the ReactOS community.

cppm

Post by cppm » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:53 am

'Trolling' or 'Having fun'...
That seems to be a matter of opinion. hmm?

You seem to forget that those 'lusers' are real people.

If I were a chauvinist, I could point you to 'my favourite' chauvinist blog, and it would be soo much fun 'haha'.
Or if I were racist, I could point you to 'my favourite' racist blog. and it would be a soo much fun 'haha'.

Now, i'm perfectly aware i'm off topic (hell I tried to bring this back on topic, i'm not to blame i'm finishing what was started by someone else), and I'm perfectly aware that i'm speaking to one of the top developers... although it does seem to be odd that this particular offensive language coming from a dev isn't being smacked down by Z98...

Consider
Ged wrote:lusers are soo out of touch with the real world.
And compare to the hypothetical statement.

"Windows users are soo out of touch with the real world"...

Would that be acceptable here?

Well I guess it's your forum... but don't consider it any surprise that you don't get enough devs if every time you reach out to the FOSS community you can't help but bring this 'freetard' baggage with you.

In the end, you're the dev, and I don't actually care what you think, as long as the code speaks for itself! (yes I really do care about ReactOS) But what I do care about is if you, a supposed adult and mature person who is effectively in a team leader position can say things that a great many people on this forum (yes, your community) would find personally offensive, and call it a 'light hearted fun', because that's just wrong. That's why i'm writing this reply; because I hate that, I hate that people think they can deny a person the right to be offended simply because they wanted to have fun, without thinking of the consequences of their actions. Yeah... Otherwise I would have just left your self-righteous opinions to yourself...

I hope you do actually understand why what you're creating here with ReactOS is a great and wonderful thing, and not some cheap shot at those smelly 'lusers' who sit on the other side of the kindergarten.

All this, all of it... it's a bad sign... for you and ReactOS

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:06 am

cppm wrote:although it does seem to be odd that this particular offensive language coming from a dev isn't being smacked down by Z98...
Oh, it doesn't surprise me at all. Birds of a feather flock together, so to speak.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:58 am

It seems I can't even go to practice and expect the forum to still be in order when I get back, nor are any of the other moderators doing their jobs. Yes, there are other moderators that are supposed to be watching for this kind of thing. I'm not omniscient nor am I above avoiding topics nor do I read every post in detail. Now, let's go down the list here.

Ged: The warning to get back on topic applies to you as well, along with the "be civil" rule in the code of conduct. Yes you're a dev, and yes I know people in the forum can really get to you, but if it's going to turn out like this, just don't bother replying. And no, the forum does not exist for your amusement. I do not have the time to clean up after every one of this uproars.

Preston: That PS was uncalled for. Might have been meant to be humorous, but considering the circumstances, umm, no.

cppm: If you don't think I'm paying attention or something, either send me a message or complain to Fireball. I don't particularly care if the person giving you trouble is a developer, since the rules apply to them as well.

Haos: When I say "get back on topic," it means stop the previous lines of discussion, all of which were off topic.

Matthias: You know what, I'm not even going to bother.

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:23 am

cppm wrote: If I were a chauvinist, I could point you to 'my favourite' chauvinist blog, and it would be soo much fun 'haha'.
That's fine. You aren't directly insulting anyone.
cppm wrote: Consider
Ged wrote:lusers are soo out of touch with the real world.
And compare to the hypothetical statement.

"Windows users are soo out of touch with the real world"...

Would that be acceptable here?
Again, that's fine. You aren't directly insulting anyone.
In fact, if you couldn't say that in a forum, then it's a pretty crappy forum.
I'm not saying there won't be people who disagree, and make their point known. But the point is, you can say what you want as long as it's not a direct insult to someone.

I hate linux, other people hate windows. So what?? If you take it as a direct insult, then you seriously need to re-think your way of looking at things.

Z98: The warning to get back on topic doesn't apply to anyone, I was completley civil, and the forum exists for everyone's amusement. You shouldn't have to 'clean up' after these so called uproars. Don't take things too seriously.

As for the 'off topic' thing, it happens. Posts go off topic, it's part of the forum nature.
What do people suggest, the second a post goes off topic, you start a new thread picking up where it went off???

The off topic rule we do enfore is, don't start a thread which is off topic to the section it's posted in.

However, posts will always go off topic, there's nothing wrong with that, Forums are for discussion and fun. The rules are very relaxed.

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle » Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:38 am

As my only source of project information while at work, I suggest that forum discussions be kept on-topic, with personal confrontations kept to a minimum. Given how Matthias has decided to violate this condition, I motion for this thread to be summarily locked and deleted. If nute still wants to ask when 0.3.7 is coming out, he's free to start a new thread with the exact same title.

simbo69

Post by simbo69 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:26 am

I think this is getting sick. Don't you guys have anything better to do than making a mountain out of a mole hole? Linux is NOT ROS. Nobody here really cares who like and who dislike Linux. Time to let it rest and move on.

BTW, is 0.3.7 really coming out this month? ;)

hefner

Post by hefner » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:24 pm

There is a (new) blocker and an other bug ... but the fix seems near

http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/buglist ... tone=0.3.7

ironek69

Post by ironek69 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:44 pm

Finally, we are almost there :D

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:07 am

I suppose it is a complex non-trivial bug since it was not fixed yet. Any news?

The123king

Post by The123king » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Black_Fox wrote:If there can be opensource Unix, why not opensource Windows?
True that. Unix is closed source, just like windows. Why not make a "Linux" for windows? Why not rewrite the NT kernel and release it as an open source OS like Linus Torwalds did with Unix.

I can seriously see the ReactOS kernel being the new Linux...

Radhad

Post by Radhad » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:34 am

A kernel is not an OS. As for Linux, it is only the Kernel and GNU is the Operating System. Everyone uses GNU, not Linux, but everybody calls it Linux ...

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:22 am

Not again that useless discussion?!!

Linux is the Kernel, Ubuntu is the OS... Who cares?!?

dark

Post by dark » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:37 am

The123king wrote:
Black_Fox wrote:If there can be opensource Unix, why not opensource Windows?
True that. Unix is closed source, just like windows. Why not make a "Linux" for windows? Why not rewrite the NT kernel and release it as an open source OS like Linus Torwalds did with Unix.

I can seriously see the ReactOS kernel being the new Linux...
If you're suggesting to only write the kernel, the project would probably fall into the same pit the BSD OSes have. They just get the same software and dependency problems needed to make a desktop on Linux. There is no reasonable way to defend dependencies either, they make the user experience terrible and on the mainstream OSes, they have been done away with because of that. (and even good programs handle them without user intervention.)