Ramdisk Version

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

counting_pine

Ramdisk Version

Post by counting_pine » Thu Apr 14, 2005 2:21 am

Are there any plans to make a version of ReactOS can that load itself into a ramdisk and run off it, a la Puppy Linux?

Meklort

Re: Ramdisk Version

Post by Meklort » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:36 am

counting_pine wrote:Are there any plans to make a version of ReactOS can that load itself into a ramdisk and run off it, a la Puppy Linux?
I'm not sure what you mean, but the livecd is ramdisk based.

counting_pine

Post by counting_pine » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:06 pm

I mean, a live CD that, when booted, creates a drive in RAM, copies the OS into it, and then runs it off that. This would free up the CD drive, give a slight speedup by eliminating drive access, and allow temporary changes to the files.
The 0.2.6-REL live CD seems to be using the CD as the base drive.
(btw the link on the Downloads page doesn't work. I think it's because it's pointing to -livecd instead of -live)

tomleem

Ramdisk as in Thumdrive?

Post by tomleem » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:46 pm

Perhaps ramdisk as in booting from an USB thumbdisk? or a pccard memory? or something to that effect? :?:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy

niteice

Post by niteice » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:16 pm

He means like Damn Small Linux, which has the boot option "toram" that will copy the 50MB image file to a RAM disk, boot from that, and unmount the CD.

Meklort

Post by Meklort » Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:31 pm

niteice wrote:He means like Damn Small Linux, which has the boot option "toram" that will copy the 50MB image file to a RAM disk, boot from that, and unmount the CD.
I know, I just always thought that the live cd was like that. Apparently it isnt. I dont know when a ramdisk version will exist.

oiaohm

Linux live cd are the rules are strange to say the least

Post by oiaohm » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:39 pm

Depending on the live cd. Some live cd ie knoppix compress the cd using a different iso standard to do it. So the Cd is left in use to load programs from.

Ramdisk in this type is used to store configs and home directory.

Others copy all require programs into ram so the cdrom can be unmount/ejected Movix is in this section.

Live cd are done different ways depending on what the maker wants.

Now if reactos can run in ram it should be able to run complete network when it has a network filesystem.

Ie no harddrive. This would be a big break threw windows not requiring harddrives. Might give reactos the killer feature to really make it expand.

DarkDonkey

Post by DarkDonkey » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:27 pm

Hi

I like the idea of running ReactOS from RAM.
There used to be an option in HyperOS (multiboot/backup software) where you could run windows 95/98 from RAM (copied from a HD partition).

It was great I used to run a stripped win98 partition from RAM to surf the net. Ultimate security! When I turned the computer off the RAM was wiped so even if anything (virus/worms/etc) found its way onto the computer they were removed upon shutdown.

It did mean that it made dealing with bookmarks/downloads a problem but i'm sure a seperate partition could be used for that.

Of course you still need to be able to run the OS from the HD too so that you can update and install software etc.

Probably looking a bit too far ahead for the moment tho far more important things for ReactOS at the moment.

Also want to say a big thanks to the devs! - Much respect for taking on such a big project! Can't imagine how daunting it must have been in the beginning! This is gonna be huge!

Sorry for the long waffle - just got carried away! :oops:

oiaohm

I think I will explain mine

Post by oiaohm » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:15 am

You have 100 termals using network boot. Each reaquire 10 mbs pers to run ie one 1000 mbs network card going to a switch from a file server.

Now raid or ATA over Ethernet using software raid of harddrives and 100 desktops.

Now to update 100 machines you just update one and reboot the rest.

One machine to virus scan. One machine to backup and know that the backup is complete for the network ie no one has placed files on local harddrive because they don't exist.

Note each machine is running its own programs it just does not have a harddrive so the server does not have to be huge just big enough to support the file server load ie standard 1g chip will do it in alot of cases. The central server could be linux or windows.

Note I am thinking company not just end user.

Meklort

Post by Meklort » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:27 am

sounds like network boot

oiaohm

Yep it is a form of network boot.

Post by oiaohm » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:52 am

Ramdisk is used to store stuff like config info so system does not have to ask the server every time.

Problem is network boot is used for thin clients and thick clients.

Thick clients run there own programs. Thin clients the server runs the programs.

This is a thick client setup but ramdisk means some operations can keep on going if the server stalls.