3.6-REL

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cmoibenlepro

Re: 3.6-REL

Post by cmoibenlepro »

I know that they can do point releases and what not, but from the looks of it currently, I'd actually like to see the releases take longer (It's not like we can't download svn builds).
But releases are tested more than each individual builds.
When time between two releases increases, the number of regressions introduced during that time tend to increase... And thus, the release process seems harder since all these regressions need to be fixed at the same time.
b4dc0d3r

Post by b4dc0d3r »

There were some huge fixes right before 0.3.6, and it wouldn't surprise me to see a quick 0.3.7 release solely because of the networking fixes cgutman is doing that didn't make it in. Lots of good detail work by jmorlan as well getting things "right". If there's a reason to get it out, by all means go for it. But of course if there is no reason, no need to push towards a date just for publicity. The best publicity will be a good product.

My only criteria right now towards using it full-time is FF 3 working - that will take care of a number of little quirks in other apps I think, and i'll probably be on it all the time (VM or not).
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

b4dc0d3r wrote:My only criteria right now towards using it full-time is FF 3 working - that will take care of a number of little quirks in other apps I think, and i'll probably be on it all the time (VM or not).
Netscape and Mozilla and possibly thunderbird and seamonkey would probably be the only other apps that'd benefit from that. Opera uses Internet Explorer's rendering method (Even the appName for Opera has Microsoft Internet Explorer in it.)

Now if Mozilla/Firefox was GTK+ based... (Like Pidgin, GIMP) Apps like Paint .NET would also be good to get working as well, since it requires heavy .NET 2 Framework.

But then again, a LOT of apps need to be tested and made to work eventually. So b4dc0d3r, let's not limit it to one app.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Firefox 3.0 almost works perfectly as it is. The only problems are incorrect text-spacing and certain parts of the display not being redrawn unless you move your mouse over them or something, so having those issues solved by 0.4 seems an achievable goal.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Opera uses Internet Explorer's rendering method (Even the appName for Opera has Microsoft Internet Explorer in it.)
Where did you found that b-shit?
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Haos wrote:
Opera uses Internet Explorer's rendering method (Even the appName for Opera has Microsoft Internet Explorer in it.)
Where did you found that b-shit?
When you query the appName for Opera: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ninte ... AppName.3F

But it uses Mozilla (MSIE6 compat) and the codename is Mozilla as well.

If they use mozilla, why did they add that useless "click to activate control" thing?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Opera uses the Presto layout engine, not Trident nor Gecko. Don't know what the blazes that person on wikipedia was talking about.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Z98 wrote:Opera uses the Presto layout engine, not Trident nor Gecko. Don't know what the blazes that person on wikipedia was talking about.
This image springs to mind.
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

GoBusto wrote:
Z98 wrote:Opera uses the Presto layout engine, not Trident nor Gecko. Don't know what the blazes that person on wikipedia was talking about.
This image springs to mind.
LOL, now that's hilarious. Reminds me of the book of mozilla.
cppm

Post by cppm »

Web browsers often obfuscate their true identity, the person on Wikipedia was simply reporting what the HTML request header contained, and I can well imagine that this is a misguided attempt by Nintendo to disguise their custom version of Opera as other popular browsers.

Although, on this computer Opera calls itself 'Opera'... as you might expect :P
Iyeru wrote:If they use Mozilla, why did they add that useless "click to activate control" thing?
The reason why that was added was because over some braindead patent litigation over controls that automatically 'activate' (seriously, what is the world coming too?) the holder of that patent made a promise not to extract licensing fees from open source rendering engines, which of course Opera is not. Thus, that's why both IE and opera have 'click to activate'.

Opera, of course, isn't some hybrid monster of Mozilla and IE, the only way to explain that is if Nintendo were trying to fool websites into thinking it's something else.
Zvince

Post by Zvince »

I dont know if it is like that on the Nintendo version, but I have an old version 6 on windows, and in the settings you can choose to identify as Mozilla 3.0, 4.78, 5.0, Opera, MSIE 5.0
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

Safari isn't open source though, right? Why don't they have click to activate control? Oh right, Safari has its own engine (I think :?)
fujiy

Post by fujiy »

Safari use WebKit Engine

Webkit is OpenSource
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

fujiy wrote:Safari use WebKit Engine

Webkit is OpenSource
Oh right, WebKit. *facepalm* I forgot all about it.