3.6-REL

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lagman

3.6-REL

Post by Lagman »

Hi All, Been around the boards for a while and I've down loaded various VMware and Qmenu packages and i must say I'm really impressed with the speed and usability of 3.6 (also how awesome it was to see it out so quick!) I just wanted to say THANK YOU and keep up the good work! I know there is a lot of work to be done but I'm really excited about how far this OS has come and I'm looking forward to the day when it replaces my current OS on my primary workstation. I don't have much but I gladly donated what i could to contribute to this project. As an animator I'm really interested in ros and what packages will (eventually) work on this it like Photoshop, Pixel, Gimp, flash, aftereffects, director and so on. So I will keep downloading and tinkering with it, Thanks Again!
ironek69

Re: 3.6-REL

Post by ironek69 »

0.3.6 is already out? You got to be joking! Respect :!:
Rayburn

Post by Rayburn »

I'm new here and just wanted to say to that I'm impressed at how much speed this project is picking up! Don't get discouraged, keep going with this. I can't wait till the production release!

Keep up the good work!
nute

Post by nute »

Tried qemu version of 0.3.6. It was slow, but I didn't crash it. ReactOS explorer seems to
be rendering properly now. Firefox 2 installed, but the scroll bug is still present. When you
scroll on say www.reactos.org the graphics corrupt.

Diablo II demo doesn't download worth a darn, but at least the downloader didn't crash and I
even managed to close it down.

How far away is 0.4.0?
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

It's slow because QEMU is slow as there's no graphics driver.
It's very fast in VMWare, which does have decent graphics drivers
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Try running qemu commandline with -kernel-kqemu switch. It may have issues with 1st stage but it works fine with later stages plus it speeds things up a lot, almost to the level of virtualbox.
fujiy

Post by fujiy »

nute wrote:Tried qemu version of 0.3.6. It was slow, but I didn't crash it. ReactOS explorer seems to
be rendering properly now. Firefox 2 installed, but the scroll bug is still present. When you
scroll on say http://www.reactos.org the graphics corrupt.

Diablo II demo doesn't download worth a darn, but at least the downloader didn't crash and I

How far away is 0.4.0?
Alpha
0.3 - 2006
0.4 - planned for 2008
Beta
0.5 - planned for 2008
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

fujiy wrote:
nute wrote:Tried qemu version of 0.3.6. It was slow, but I didn't crash it. ReactOS explorer seems to
scroll on say http://www.reactos.org the graphics corrupt.

How far away is 0.4.0?
Alpha
0.3 - 2006
0.4 - planned for 2008
Beta
0.5 - planned for 2008
This hasn't been updated since the big bang.

FlyingIsFun1217
coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

0.3.6 runs on real x86 hardware btw (boot is extremely fast in comparison to the last one that could though). Like with 0.3.4 or so (0.3.5 removed that functionality as I recall.)

But since I have a USB keyboard/mouse (wireless) I can't do anything in it (Although that's not surprising.)
FlyingIsFun1217

Iyeru wrote:0.3.6 runs on real x86 hardware btw (boot is extremely fast in comparison to the last one that could though). Like with 0.3.4 or so (0.3.5 removed that functionality as I recall.)
I like how thats turned into a 'feature'...

FlyingIsFun1217
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Thank you developers for this incredible release in such a record time! :mrgreen:
And you are pushing 0.3.7 in September? You definitely decided to devote yourselves to short delays, that's fantastic! :D
FlyingIsFun1217

I'm actually wondering how they are doing these releases so fast, considering 0.4 (I would imagine) should be a really solid release with quite a bit more framework completed. I know that they can do point releases and what not, but from the looks of it currently, I'd actually like to see the releases take longer (It's not like we can't download svn builds).

FlyingIsFun1217
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Early release was Fireball's idea. He felt there were enough changes and improvements to warrant it. Whether this will hold for future releases is of course up in the air.
FlyingIsFun1217

Yeah, it just really surprised me that there was enough progress within that timespan!

Guess it just goes to show the speed of the development team ;)

FlyingIsFun1217
hefner

Post by hefner »

A nice side effect:

Faster release cycles could be create more headlines + pr in the news-sites for reactos . This could hire more interested and devs to reactos ...

;)