A Reactos Distro - Working software collection

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Haos
Test Team

Re: A Reactos Distro - Working software collection

Post by Haos »

Its spelled with s, not with dolar sign. This place is fossturd`s free. Please do not attempt to introduce slashdotty behaviour around here.
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

Cheers to all...=!
Its spelled with s, not with dolar sign. This place is fossturd`s free. Please do not attempt to introduce slashdotty behaviour around here.
- @Haos
It's spelled w/ an agenda... or ROS and open source/copyleft (dating to the 70's when the problems were foreseen) would not exist and hence the need to post a "point of view" anywhere regarding Os's because there would be no need for alternative products. I am a current (20+ yr) power user of both systems but none-the-less, the history of both "commercial products" (non-backward compatibility aka "planned obsolesence" which frustrates the use of old hardware) "arguably" complicated the technological disparity of a widening global economical gap. Corporate outsourcing "could" be a good example of this type of economic stratification. If my posts offend anyone, as I have noted before... ask the magical question... namely, what do you mean? This is preferable to personal villification which I don't practice or entertain because it holds no meaning for me. I do not sell my "point of view", I only "express" it and welcome and learn from new "points of view" (like your own). Also I agree fossturd's are not needed so I will use innuendo and metaphor (which are even more judgmental). However, this does not change history which is well documented. Open source distro's and app's help level the playing field with products like the Children's Laptop (I'd like to see a ROS version). Other than "commercial" interests I would be baffled by any opposing position...=!
SdC

Post by SdC »

Please meridian.blue don't go off-topic. Haos just reminded you of forum etiquette and you seem to feel attacked in your way of life. There are ways to express your thoughts without using $-signs.
Also research has shown that posts with lots of "shouting" have less effect than you seem to expect.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I am sorry to disappoint you, but i`m not interested in any historical, economical or political implications you have presented in your last post. This is not about commercial vs non commercial, nor open source vs closed source. We require all forum users to behave responsibly and maturely. Spelling company name with $ instead of s, or adding $$ to it, is childish and immature. No matter if its Microsoft, Novell or Redhat. Rules are clear. Please go by them.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Well, not a rule per se, but more of an etiquette matter. If you decide to use MS, realize that you will be called out for it here, as many people on the forum consider it rather childish and unamusing. You could say most of us are tired of FOSS zealots that rag on MS just for the sake of ragging on it, and we automatically assume that's what is being done when someone uses MS, as it requires more effort to type and is an intentional misspelling.

Anyways, this has all gotten horribly off topic, so let's move on.
SpoonmAn

Post by SpoonmAn »

in my tiny opinion it is maybe the best to make something like a "ROS Supported Software Compilation" this meets all needs of anyone without the problems that come up with distroing reactos. because there is truly no need for distros of a complete and working software.
dr_asfak

Post by dr_asfak »

I agree to spoonman for "ROS Supported Software Compilation". Ok, if others agree to this, what should be next step ? Create wiki page, collect most favoured applications, 0.3.5 as base, getting atleast 5(?) verified entries for best working(?) version. , voting, submission rules etc etc. This is just rough idea.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

meridian.blue wrote:MacK O$ $y$tem and Winblow$ (the two key players) of the "wIntel" oligarchy...=!
oO

Burn him at the stake!

FlyingIsFun1217 (jk)
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

childish and immature...
I'm sorry if the context of my "point of view" (which I "believe" I'm intitled to) was missed... It is more childish and immature to assume or speculate the context of a "point of view"... again if the context (or text) offends you ask the magical question or offer adivce... As opposed to being brusk which is crude, hostile and simplistic... I'm sorry to disappoint you... what I am not "interested" in is negativity...=!

PS: It would seem a strange contradiction that you object to fossturds but not veiled profanity or obnoxious questions (eg. "Can you rephrase the question so its not a gramathical monster? And wth is utbox?"... see http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... f=2&t=5509)...=!
there are ways to express your thoughts...

posts with lots of "shouting"...

Thanx for the advice... I agree and have noted the alternative in the previous post... In regard to shouting it is typically by using caps... What I attempted using quote/underline is qualifying my statements that so often are taken out of context ("maybe" intentionally to provoke to gain notoriety or even for entertainment by certain combative trolls)...=!
realize that you will be called out for it here...
I see the big picture you have identified and agree unless however... the point that was made is in context and is truthful and not simply an attack... And do not see being "called out" as a motivation to dumb down my "point of view"... Also I "believe", being "called out" (savaging) for right or wrong is not etiquette either and is highly disrespectful and likely even uncivilized... What is more logical is dialogue and context which is what you have given... Cheers and many thanx to you... Now I will also return to the topic...=!
there is truly no need for distros of a complete and working software...
It would "appear" this is true for those who do not prefer distros, in particular live ones that are modular... It "seems" to all come down to a matter of preference (some people prefer distros some don't) that "maybe" is why the cookie cutter idea of one size fits all "seems" unlikely to be universally embraced...=!
Last edited by meridian.blue on Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

First, think about why Linux distros exist. They exist because everything that composes a working Linux desktop is pretty much scattered amongst a couple dozen projects. While some are supposedly under an umbrella organization like GNU, others are basically standalone. Combine this with the fact that most of this stuff is in source form, putting a working system together yourself gets very daunting. The distros then created a self perpetuating problem with the differing versions of libraries that they may choose to include, so people have to rely on them for their application needs.

We do not suffer from this problem, as there exists a defined API and ABI applications can expect, that of the Windows API. As such, the primary reason for the distros, for ensuring application compatibility, does not exist for ReactOS.

The other reason, that of bundling applications, is ultimately one of personal preference. Why should this project show preference to one application over another when we can leave the user to choose for themselves?
dr_asfak

Post by dr_asfak »

Z98 wrote: The other reason, that of bundling applications, is ultimately one of personal preference. Why should this project show preference to one application over another when we can leave the user to choose for themselves?
Congrats to all developers for 0.3.6 (too fast...). Anyway, the present state of Reactos definitely requires users to know which 'most favourite' applications works and what latest version of each work best. This is must to avoid user trying to spoil their system trying every version of their software.

Now as concerning choice of applications, you are right up to some extent that project need not show preference. Reactos is open source and should encourage users to use best known opensource applications like firefox, gimp, kde on windows, Oo. The list is long and all cannot be bundled alongwith Reactos so called "distro". But few of them makes Reactos appealing to masses. As said in earlier post, create wiki page for working usable softwares for 0.3.6. This includes version, few issues, rating etc in tabular form.

asfak
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

Although a ROS project distro is "not" a debatable option, a custom distro project "could" be useful to newbies interested in a collection of cross platform preinstalled apps that are popular in the leading distros like OpenOffice.org (the bloated over priced, over hyped exploitive commerical Os's, include suites in their bundles to win over new users... that tactic "could" ease the transition for newbies to open source)... Or users of live distros that "might" be interested in a portable modular alternative that provides a configurable bundle of popular apps and security (cd/usb removal) without the need to install anything (using a usb or multisession save)... Also for power users "perhaps" the ability to get full blown performance by running in ram using a mini distro w/ a minimalist shell (similar to JWM or LXDE)... However, although all of this "sounds" like an interesting idea it's "likely" easier said than done...=!
Last edited by meridian.blue on Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Shawhifox

Post by Shawhifox »

And if "Download!" is improved? With possibility that the users submit programs in the list, and with votes to leave more above in the list the most useful or that better work.

This way those who have good connection can in the same window download programs to have a PC prepared and a little time.

Later perhaps it might do a ROS plus version with the most voted/tested programs included in a CD using the info from "Download!".
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

There's certainly nothing stopping you from trying to create a distro, just realize that you're unlikely to get much help from the developers, or even an unofficial blessing. Well, some people might help, but you'd have to do all the heavy lifting yourself.

Here's a point many people seem to be forgetting here. The majority of the developers of ROS do not believe in the mission to get everyone to use open source. Some of them would even use only MSVC to develop ReactOS, save for the fact the headers are a mess and prevent compilation. You may even notice we have a few proprietary applications in Download.