Virtual Box

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ToddAndMargo

Virtual Box

Post by ToddAndMargo »

This thing would be a lot easier to test if you started supporting Virtual Box (http://www.virtualbox.org/). I specifically need network support and support
for the VB Tools.

Network support will give me the ability to see my SAMBA shares and start
installing and testing software.

VB Tools will give me the ability to share the mouse and the clipboard

VB supports the following network cards:
PCnet-FAST III (Am79C973)
PCnet-FAST II (Am79C970A)
Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (82540EM)
Intel PRO/1000 T Server (82543GC)

Many thanks,
-T
Haos
Test Team

Re: Virtual Box

Post by Haos »

Vbox support is present, but not official. It works quite fine, between vmware and qemu in terms of performance. You could try Vbox video driver from Tools package, but i wouldnt count on anything else working. For better Vbox support we need more Vbox testers, checking ROS on a regular, long-term basis. So its not an one timer "i installed and it works". QEMU and Vmware are "supported", because people do test it on a daily basis, catching and reporting bugs as soon as those appear. Vbox needs the same.
DGMurdockIII

Post by DGMurdockIII »

you shold support vbox becse it open source and QEMU is not
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Vbox and QEMU are both opensource...

Which has nothing to do with it at all. The best performance is with Vmware, which is all closed-source and proprietary.
Please stop this You_must_use_opensource_because_its_opensource_nyah_nyah crap.
ricky w

Post by ricky w »

Hello everyone,

Let me introduce my self for little a while in my first posting in this forum :).
My name is Ricky from Indonesia, and just having fun with few of linux distro and Virtual Box as one of my toys. I'm a newbie on React-OS, so please give me your guidance :).

Ok, let just start straight to the point during of my case using React-OS with VirtualBox.

Recently, I'm using React-OS 0.3.6 as a guest OS in my VirtualBox 1.6.2.

So far i can install and run it well. It just i have problem when trying to install Guest Addition 1.6.2. on React-OS 0.3.6. During this usage of my React-OS 0.3.6 on VirtualBox 1.6.2 i can running the NAT network without any problem ;). But still haven't try other kind of network that VirtualBox provided.

So, is there any one can help me, on how i can use and install Guest Addition virtual box 1.6.2 on the latest React-OS :) :?:

Thanks in advance,

Ricky W
----------
ricky w

Post by ricky w »

Hello everyone :),

Hm... this my second time posting in this thread.

Recently i've just install the VirtualBox version 1.6.4 on my Windows XP (as Host). And i have the same problem as my previous posting regarding the problem using VirtualBox version 1.6.2.

And guest what that happen :) :?: I've got blue screen during VirtualBox Guest Addition 1.6.4.

Hm... i wonder what's going with the VirtualBox or the ReactOS :?:

Or perhaps there are anyone that can tell me which ROS that can be succed installed at VirtualBox 1.6.2. or 1.6.4 for VirtualBox Guest addition :?:

Or should i installed the previous OS of ReactOS :?:

Thanks in advance,

Ricky W
----------
jcfuller

Post by jcfuller »

I had no luck installing the guest additions. If I remember I may have had to do a reinstall of ReactOS after attempting it.

Ubuntu 8.04 as host. ReactOS runs quite well otherwise. Menus on a number of programs I installed are messed up or non-existent but I think I read somewhere that is a known condition that is being worked on.

James
SdC

Post by SdC »

As Haos stated, the addons don't work. You can however install the VGA driver by mounting the addons-ISO as cdrom, going into ROS Device Manager and installing the driver directly from there.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Installing whole guest pack can result in cursor lockups due to some obscure mouse hooking. Vbox video driver also had some display issues last time i checked it. Any update would be greatly appreciated.
LinoSP

Post by LinoSP »

I also have the same problem :( why don't we became official ReactOS Testers on Virtual Box to help the project (when i be able to install ReactOS successfully and running fine in this virtual machine , i will install it on my real machine) :D
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

We need people to test ROS on vbox regularly and post bugreports if any issues found. Such people should hang in #reactos and #reactos-testers and in general become One with The Team:>

I`m booting ROS from time to time on Vbox, but as now i managed to run ROS on real hw, its not too often.
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Haos wrote:We need people to test ROS on vbox regularly and post bugreports if any issues found.
What do you mean with regularly? Twice a week? Every day? I would like to help in this point, but I think I could only test ROS twice a week due to work & wife. IRC is not a problem as I'm always in #reactos at work and sometimes at home. I could test ROS under *nix at work and under XP at home. If you're interested just send a pm or so, so that you could advice me a bit what kind of tests you need etc.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

The frequency is not as important as regularity par se and hanging around #reactos. Mind that its kind of a long term commitment, you should be able to build ROS on a regular basis. You can use official ISO for day to day testing, but when bug is found, you need to have the sources ready for gathering proper debug info or testing patches. Yes, it would be great to have you testing Vbox. Nothing fancy is required. Just install it and boot to third stage, install some apps, have networking done, install a browser and lurk around www. Download stuff and run it from within ROS.

Make sure that you have debug output done (via vmwaregateway on Win32 - easiest, howto is on our wiki). If you encounter a bug, make sure its not random - so its repeatable, and it happens in a specific situation - so its replicable. Make sure its not related to your build issues, if you are running own build, and finally, make sure that someone else can confirm this bug.

EDIT:

Intel PRO/1000 and PRO/100 drivers arent installing in ROS
Last edited by Haos on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

Sounds good so far. I would use my own build, so that I can integrate RosApps within BootCD, or is it possible to generate a RosApps iso? That would be the best oppotunity I think, so that I could install Download! and with this other software.
z180

Post by z180 »

I suggest to make a fifth build on the trunks build page,a rosapps 7-ZIP archive.
But I have doubts because rosapps are a bit sick of bitrotting, not much devs are there working.