ReactOS is no threat to Windows.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

FlyingIsFun1217

Re: ReactOS is no threat to Windows.

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Angelus wrote:I would say that Windows will be no threat to ReactOS :wink:
Thats the spirit!

FlyingIsFun1217 :)

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

GoBusto you just found exactly what I wanted you to find. If a person had stopped at the front cover. Ie the home page they would not be saying Reactos was for server. So no there is a issue there. Forget what you know about Reactos and read it again.

Microsoft Windows® XP compatible nice little grey answer the. XP compatible in windows line is XP 2003 Vista 2008... And so on. Freedos is also a free OS for everyone.

The intro text is grey about what market Reactos is targeting. I would personally added a market targeted description to the intro so there is no other way to see Reactos. Like the following.
We here developing Reactos do not believe in the artificial separation between desktop and server. Reactos is being developed to do server and desktop the best possible. For most usable OS possible most stable designs of all the NT line of OS's will be merged into Reactos providing the best of NT/2000/XP/2003/2008 in a single OS to be used for everything.
Now how can you get what I just put there wrong. Current intro too many loss ends. Its key we fix these sections if we want good reviews. You also made the mistake of reading it knowing something about Reactos. Read the pages blocking out everything you know about reactos GoBusto is the information really there so you cannot screw up if not the page needs improving to get good and correct reviews.

2003 bit is from the roadmap. http://www.reactos.org/en/about_roadmap.html 5.x 6.x targeted for 0.4 and 2003 storage stack for 0.5 reactos. Note we don't say why. Change for overall stability or is it that our path is going to 2003. Yes our site said it journalist took it the way that we were heading to 2003.

Haos asked most important feature different between NT Server and Desktop. Is thread management. To be correct the active window bias. Under 2000/NT workstation, XP and Vista the application with a active window on screen gets more cpu access. See able of you run 2 3d applications at the same time that are exactly the same time. The one with active window is always faster. Servers do not have this bias. To be correct that bias can interfere with service access. Currently that bias is missing from Reactos so from the NT model it is a Server.

Next major difference between desktop and server. Types of tools and services bundled. We are not really to that point.

Final one NT server desktop does not run with lots of bells and whistles on by default due to having to be light to leave resources for services. Another thing Reactos is so another tick for Server.

So 2 out of the 3 identifying checks on Reactos say server and bundled applications is not complete so call is right. So journalist does not sux they are annoy right from current status.

As I said the judgement is correct looking at current reactos and the site. Now Haos don't say someone has lack of knowledge in NT when they are correct please.

Sorry no Haos some Linux distrobutions cannot be used for anything bar there targeted market. 1 floppy router Linux distros are kinda locked to that. There are other server distributions that don't have X11 servers or graphical output options in kernel ie text mode with web interface only output. Rebuilding kernel from source plus getting X11 server from somewhere would be required to return the desktop mode kinda more pain than its worth. These are 100 percent server distributions.

Then there are purely Desktop targeted distributions theses don't ship with any services. Like XP in that regard. You would have to get them threw third parties or source.

Then the most Linux Distributions sit in middle ground between both. Desktop and server. That is what we want Reactos to appear as. Currently failing todo so.

Your knowledge of Linux Distributions is apparently lacking or you would have never made such a stupid claim. That there was no difference between server and desktop linux's. There are more than just these 3 classes of Linux Distributions but its the major sorting system.

Yes Haos I have noticed the several wrong reviews funny part is not all of them are wrong and lots of people are all responding to them the same way. Ie Its not our fault. It darn well is this projects documentation fault and everyone fault here for not see it and correcting it. Stop blaming the journalist. I should not have to point out to a developer the differences between NT server and desktop.

Now you owe the journalist a formal sorry. The journalist did find quite a few truths and you are being pig headed about it Haos and not seeing it.

Sorry to say the article is not negative it is a assessment. You are turning it negative instead looking at why. A truly fair and valid assessment that could be made from the information Reactos is providing. Now does that mean is a correct expression of the goals of project no. That is what we need to fix. So a truly fair and valid assessment matches what we believe the goals of Reactos is. Or we will go on insulting journalists forever.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

oiaohm wrote:We here developing Reactos do not believe in the artificial separation between desktop and server. Reactos is being developed to do server and desktop the best possible. For most usable OS possible most stable designs of all the NT line of OS's will be merged into Reactos providing the best of NT/2000/XP/2003/2008 in a single OS to be used for everything.
It wouldnt hurt... But its quite alike leaflets warning people not to use microwaves to dry a cat...
2003 bit is from the roadmap. http://www.reactos.org/en/about_roadmap.html 5.x 6.x targeted for 0.4 and 2003 storage stack for 0.5 reactos. Note we don't say why. Change for overall stability or is it that our path is going to 2003. Yes our site said it journalist took it the way that we were heading to 2003.
So in your opinion
Replace storage stack with a Windows 2003 based implementation
is enough to call ReactOS a Server OS? How did you manage to jump into this conclusion? What has
5.x 6.x targeted for 0.4
to do with your argument at all? 5.x/6.x can mean all NT kernel versions from 2000 to Vista. BOTH server and desktop. I fail to observe anything here that would point one to ReactOS being Server-only.

Oiaohm, this one is of your older post. Sorry for quoting it so late:
Reactos roadmap has basically nothing targeted at desktop use on it even the direct x in development is not listed there in any form.
I suggest you recheck 0.6, trying to find the following;
- DirectX enhancements and implementation, allowing to run popular games
Now this is a 100% Server entry in our Roadmap.
Haos asked most important feature different between NT Server and Desktop. Is thread management. To be correct the active window bias. Under 2000/NT workstation, XP and Vista the application with a active window on screen gets more cpu access. See able of you run 2 3d applications at the same time that are exactly the same time. The one with active window is always faster. Servers do not have this bias. To be correct that bias can interfere with service access. Currently that bias is missing from Reactos so from the NT model it is a Server.
Start>My Computer>Settings>Control Panel>System>Advanced tab>Settings>Advanced>Cpu time usage: Programs/Services. Both Desktop and Server NT has it, at least from WIn2000 if not even earlier. First is defaulted on desktops, second on server OS. You can set it as you please.
Next major difference between desktop and server. Types of tools and services bundled. We are not really to that point.
Yup, we arent. I hope that when our toolset is done, i`ll be able to use it on XP Home, which is deprived of any advanced management toolset. Not that it wouldn`t work...It works fine, for example Terminal Services on XP Home, its just Microsoft doesnt like it.
Final one NT server desktop does not run with lots of bells and whistles on by default due to having to be light to leave resources for services. Another thing Reactos is so another tick for Server.
This is the prime argument for me running 20003 server as desktop OS. Note that most reviews we got point out that we are to/should try to have our OS as lean&mean as possible. Lightweight, no extra, unneeded stuff bundled. This request is issued not because people want to have a Server OS. They want to have Desktop os, that is not waisting their resources on unneeded stuff they didnt ask for. My argument is that lightweightness is a feature for both Desktop and Server, so you cannot make it a Server only.
So 2 out of the 3 identifying checks on Reactos say server and bundled applications is not complete so call is right. So journalist does not sux they are annoy right from current status.
2 out of 3 cheks failed to appear Server-only. One left is about server app suite, but i expect it also to be independet of Server/Desktop choice. So journalist still sux...
As I said the judgement is correct looking at current reactos and the site. Now Haos don't say someone has lack of knowledge in NT when they are correct please.
They lack even basics. They are only capable of greping our site for "Windows 2003" strings and writign whole their thesisa accordingly. Or as GoBusto said, they seen it in Dvorak`s article.
Sorry no Haos some Linux distrobutions cannot be used for anything bar there targeted market. 1 floppy router Linux distros are kinda locked to that. There are other server distributions that don't have X11 servers or graphical output options in kernel ie text mode with web interface only output. Rebuilding kernel from source plus getting X11 server from somewhere would be required to return the desktop mode kinda more pain than its worth. These are 100 percent server distributions.
Yay! Nothing like to take out Linux modularity and showing off the Linux from embedded tool. Hey, we are talking about PC OSes.
You still can take that distro and make it for desktop.... Not like NT is far LESS modular than Linux, so it wont get even close to this analogy.
Then there are purely Desktop targeted distributions theses don't ship with any services. Like XP in that regard. You would have to get them threw third parties or source.
YAY. Lets see my XP Home i got on that lappy. What do we see...Distributed Transactions Coordinator, QoS RSVP, Routing and Remote access, ohh.... Server service for file and printer-sharing:>, Logical Disk Manager administration service, Terminal Services, ICS... Pretty much for a system that gets shipped without any services, eh? As you know XP home is the OS most trimmed off administrative tools. On XP Prof you can find more of them.
Then the most Linux Distributions sit in middle ground between both. Desktop and server. That is what we want Reactos to appear as. Currently failing todo so.
Windows NT is also in the middle ground between both. Desktop and server. But you have to use it or have some knowledge about it to notice that.
Your knowledge of Linux Distributions is apparently lacking or you would have never made such a stupid claim. That there was no difference between server and desktop linux's. There are more than just these 3 classes of Linux Distributions but its the major sorting system.
First: i never said that there are differences between Linux Server and Desktop. Quite opposite, i said that there arent any or many, and said that NT is in very similar situatioin.

Second: Why do you post contradicting information in the same post? See:
1 floppy router Linux distros are kinda locked to that. There are other server distributions that don't have X11 servers or graphical output options in kernel ie text mode with web interface only output. Rebuilding kernel from source plus getting X11 server from somewhere would be required to return the desktop mode kinda more pain than its worth. These are 100 percent server distributions.
I should not have to point out to a developer the differences between NT server and desktop.
You failed to point any.
Now you owe the journalist a formal sorry. The journalist did find quite a few truths and you are being pig headed about it Haos and not seeing it.
Stop telling me what do i ow or not. You try to force everyone into your opinion without even providing a single valid argument. Your so called differences between NT Desktop and Server have been bitten to dust. Our Roadmap does not contain anything that would suggest ReactOS being server only. Quite opposite, you failed to notice an entry about directx, mentioning gaming. I refuse to consider that mentioning "Windows 2003 Server" at any point makes ReactOS a server OS. Also please calling me names.
Sorry to say the article is not negative it is a assessment. You are turning it negative instead looking at why. A truly fair and valid assessment that could be made from the information Reactos is providing. Now does that mean is a correct expression of the goals of project no. That is what we need to fix. So a truly fair and valid assessment matches what we believe the goals of Reactos is. Or we will go on insulting journalists forever.
This paragraph is well composed and beautifully written. But it means nothing. This is still an opensource project, not a commercial product. We dont have any PR/Marketing department, so unless someone volunteers to do such job, we are not getting it.

Would you volunterr, oiaohm?

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Firstly, I'd just like to remind everyone about the two links in my signature indicating that This Is Not Flamewar Material, since what we're discussing is 100% likely to cause everyone to get all angry'd up and I'm not looking to make mortal enemies here.
oiaohm wrote:The intro text is grey about what market Reactos is targeting. I would personally added a market targeted description to the intro so there is no other way to see Reactos. Like the following.
We here developing Reactos do not believe in the artificial separation between desktop and server. Reactos is being developed to do server and desktop the best possible. For most usable OS possible most stable designs of all the NT line of OS's will be merged into Reactos providing the best of NT/2000/XP/2003/2008 in a single OS to be used for everything.
Well, I can't see a problem with this. It makes sense, when you consider that just about anyone who is non-technical could just see the Server 2003 stuff and assume "oh, it must be a server thing, then" - which, while it might be "Do not microwave your cat" material, will at least make it totally clear that ReactOS can be used for either purpose - desktop or server. Clarity is never a bad thing.
oiaohm wrote:Now how can you get what I just put there wrong. Current intro too many loss ends. Its key we fix these sections if we want good reviews. You also made the mistake of reading it knowing something about Reactos. Read the pages blocking out everything you know about reactos GoBusto is the information really there so you cannot screw up if not the page needs improving to get good and correct reviews.

It'd be silly for me to argue that "NO ALL PAGES ARE EXACTLY UP TO DATE AND EVERYTHING IS JUST FINE," so I won't. Having the roadmap updated would be A Good Thing, it's just that someone needs to get around to doing it.

Also, as we were constantly reminded during the run-up to 0.3.5, the roadmap is just supposed to be a guide, rather than an exact schedule. However, perhaps this needs to be made more clear, as the millions of WHEN IS 0.3.5 COMING OUT threads would indicate. Currently, there is a line stating that "This is preliminary information and is subject to change", yet perhaps it would make more sense to include, in bold text just next to this, a statement like: "Roadmap last updated dd/mm/yyyy. Please see the ReactOS wiki for more detailed information" (Since it's easier to update the wiki for every little change than to redo the roadmap page). Good idea, bad idea?
oiaohm wrote:Next major difference between desktop and server. Types of tools and services bundled. We are not really to that point.
This is sort of undiscussable right now because, as you say, it's too early, so let's skip this for the moment.
oiaohm wrote:Sorry no Haos some Linux distrobutions cannot be used for anything bar there targeted market. 1 floppy router Linux distros are kinda locked to that. There are other server distributions that don't have X11 servers or graphical output options in kernel ie text mode with web interface only output. Rebuilding kernel from source plus getting X11 server from somewhere would be required to return the desktop mode kinda more pain than its worth. These are 100 percent server distributions.

Ah, but the key thing here is that, although we have several different distros, all with different purposes, they are all Linux at the core. They have taken the standard Linux code and adapted it to what they need it for. Why should ReactOS be any different? Even if ReactOS were developed specifically to emulate Server 2003 for server use on servers, it's GPL. Some bloke could just take the source and change it a bit, and, as if by magic, we now have "ReactOS" (for servers) and "OpeNT" (a forked version aimed at desktops). True, the forked version wouldn't be "ReactOS" in name, but the codebase would be nearly identical.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Start>My Computer>Settings>Control Panel>System>Advanced tab>Settings>Advanced>Cpu time usage: Programs/Services. Both Desktop and Server NT has it, at least from WIn2000 if not even earlier. First is defaulted on desktops, second on server OS. You can set it as you please.
Point is ROS does not so it only has the server mode and nothing on roadmap to put it back before version 1.0.
2 out of 3 cheks failed to appear Server-only. One left is about server app suite, but i expect it also to be independet of Server/Desktop choice. So journalist still sux...
Sorry no. Currently ours app suite incomplete now problem person left open to make a selection from what they see in the documentation for where that is going. Journalists able to make selections like that is not what you want. Because numbers of them will get it wrong.

Lightweight one yes we know that people want that. We don't say why we are doing it. So person can take it how ever they want again. From MS point of view its a server OS is the reason why you do that.

Windows NT itself it versions were not middle ground. After 2000 middle ground options appeared. At that point did the NT line become middle ground bar services. Person with 30 years plus has to be expected to remember the divided.

Remember this a person can only twist information if the way it is written allows twisting.

Note 5 key bits of journalism Who What Where Why and How.
http://www.reactos.org/en/about.html Every page. Frount page About page and Roadmap that you are expect layed out in black in white exactly covering those 5. Lot of good explanations of what Reactos is. Lot of good explanations why Reactos. Lot of good explanations How. Where is there. Where is the answer of who is Reactos for exactly. Everyone is not a good answer. Open to be taken any way they like.

The more you read the pages that are so called here to help a journalist to make up mind what reactos the more you are left confused about who this project is for.

I was kind enough to leave the http://www.reactos.org/en/dev_whitepaper.html out of it that clearly says 2003 server as Reactos modelled after. Even that the white paper says that there is simply nothing anywhere else to undo it. Instead everything else written up when looked at from a 2003 server point of view fits.

Basically our docs push a person in the direction of 2003 server because no who is Reactos intended for. Nothing in front page disagrees with the white paper. Nothing on the Road map disagrees with the white paper. Nothing in the about or linked pages disagrees with the white paper. Source code features support server call. So journalist calls Reactos Server what else could you expect its the only thing in the stack of explanation to provide them with a path that addes up.

Person digs deep enough everything will line up over and over again on 2003 server with nothing stopping it until the documentation is corrected.

Of course I was hoping you would find something solid we could use against the journalist. To change report. Sorry nop no such luck. Its now get documentation reworked some how.

Haos if hackbunny trusted me to do PR. Unlikely we other sides of the spectrum. I see and like were Linux is going. I want Reactos to end my security nightmares so I don't have to clean up peoples machines due to poor default security set-ups. I will do the kindness of pulling up where need to be altered so there is no way a person can get the meaning wrong. Most likely long term I will never use Reactos. I rarely use Windows now.

Lot of claims unfortunately on the about page regarding Linux I can rip to shreds. Major one Linux is at its highest desktop usage numbers ever. Linux viruses are at there lowest ever. What happened where are the viruses. Numbers dropped sharply in 2001-2002. Never recovered. Linux Security modules made it harder to infect linux. Also this has introduced a change something scattered threw out the kernel as a mess. Object features added all over the place. Credentials patch being worked on to change Linux again. From just file based secuirty with messy Object based on top. To file based with Object Based both solid. It gets scarier after Credentials are main line Linux could be patched to exactly run Windows NT secuirty threw Credentials including the Windows user ID system on processes. The patches involve avoiding UID and GID related posix calls and setting up a Linux Security module to process NT secuirty. Linux is not the old Unix model it is something else. Something flexible current Reactos PR is not keeping up with the change. Unix is dead. Linux Freebsd and Solarias live on with far more complex and complete security models.

NT design is no longer good enough alone need to be enhanced to its full power and most likely more to compete. Security model Reactos has to beat is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Co ... n_Criteria Commonly called the Orange Book still used as the base to a lot of post 2000 Linux security design. Just being Object Based does not cut it. There are many areas with XP and Vista fail. Lot of these failures cause me to have to clean up windows.

As you can see I am not Reactos best friend or Windows for that matter. I am sick of the lie of more numbers equals more security problems numbers don't back it as the only factor. There are secondary factors making Windows way more infected. Reactos PR could be far better if NT was simply accept as good starting design in bad need of completing to modern day standards.

Zvince

Post by Zvince »

Well, it is strange to see Reactos supporters arguing like this about a press review (whatever it stated).
The most important thing is that the project keeps on going on its way.
The main goal (IMHO) is 0.5, also called beta stage.
I would not be suprised if at this moment there were some people (maybe many) coming out of the hood, saying "I want to be in !".
Bugs ? server code ? ... hmmm ... No sponsors ? The project is still alive after more than ten years. Would it be an awful mess if Reactos was not a planetary success ?
Maybe I am wrong, but I dont believe that there is a buisness plan behind this project, and I suppose that it is what some "analysts" still dont understand : "No profit ? What are you doing guys ? Are you crazy ?". The same old story ...
0.5, and we will see what happens ...

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Correct PR is required to attract and keep as many developers as able. Zvince. Kinda key to getting to Reactos long term goals sooner. It is also my main reason for ripping into Haos. Current Reactos Docs are giving the wrong impression leading to some people seeing Reactos targeting a smaller market than it is. So if something is server and I only developer desktop applications why would I come look form that written article. See the bad effect from it being wrong.

The next important one how many developers come here read the Reactos Docs and walk away with the same idea as that journalist. Haos has to see journalists making that mistake are no more than warning bells of a far bigger problem.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

There is no point in discussion, when the other side is ignoring your arguments. I am sorry oiaohm, but it seems you havent seen Windows 2003, yet you argue about it. The fact is that Windows 2003 as well as Windows 2008 are as good desktop OSes, as Ubuntu. On the other hand you can run a small network, with a PC running XP Home as a router. Yes, 2003 is a server OS. I am doing a blasphemous thing by using it as a desktop, gaming and all stuff. The most evil thing is that it works great, much better than my XP Home on laptop.

If ReactOS is gonna be the alike, both server and desktop use, this is even better. Case closed, at least for my side.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

I am simply not ignoring your arguments. I am ruling them out. That something works better as desktop were is that in the description of Reactos.

This is the simple issue. You are expecting knowledge that 2003 makes a good desktop. Next question how many people use it that way. Very few. So there eyes its only server.

My case is simple. The docs explaining Reactos are expecting people to know stuff that is not written there. Then you yell at them for taking it the wrong way. You are trying to win against me using information that is not on the site. So that information get ruled out if that information was on the site you would not need to be saying it instead say look there.

Zvince

Post by Zvince »

I dont know if the "home" and "info" pages have been changed recently, but reading them, I dont think that they really describe a server os.
And if they did, it does not really matter.
The first time I came here what dis I see ? A free, open source os that can run windows apps and drivers. The only thing that everybody wants ! (well, not everyone, but lots of people).
I know windows and I am interested by this project. People who buy a pc with windows preloaded, and will never try to see if there is there is an alternative to IE and WMP will not be interested. But people who know a little more than that will be, for sure.
I have used windows 2000 server as a desktop os for five years at my job (actually it was a dual function computer, desktop + server, not enough money to have two machines ...).
For my personal computer I use XP pro, with Apache/Php/Mysql. Before that, I had windows 2000 pro, and switched from IIS to Apache because of IIS limitations on 2000 pro, a desktop os ...
If I have the choice 'and the money), I will always use a server os edition for my desktop, because you can use a server os for a desktop (but you can't use a desktop os for a server).
I dont think that Reactos target (well, for the moment :P ) is home users.
So, server or desktop os, who cares ? Those who will never change their preloaded os ? Those who read two lines on the home page and say "I know everything about that" ? ...
And for the Zdnet writer, forget him. People interested by Reactos or this kind of software dont find their way reading Zdnet or other magazines, they search the web for new or original solutions ...

DevineMe

Post by DevineMe »

Hi all! This is my first post but I gotta say that struck a nerve. I'll be preaching to choir today but it has to be said. Hmm how time flys and people forget.

As I remeber it right and correct me if I wrong here.. It was the Shareware and Freeware that boosted corporate america computing and "Sponcers" rather quicky to heights they are now. Wasn't it in the late 80's early 90's when computing started to really take off, maybe earlier. During that time...

*Wasnt ZD Mags pushing Shareware/Freeware disks to boost sales?
*Wasnt AOL, Prodigy and Compuserve cloning, improving, commercializing and captializing? What where people downloading? Shareware/Freeware.

What where people doing during that period? Buying and upgrading thier PC's like crazy. Why? To run the Shareware & Freeware software. Did MS, AOL, Prodigy, Compuserve or ZD Mags personaly write the shareware/freeware titles they where pushing to make the mega $$$. Nope. To ask someone that is up their butt's, you'd sure as heck think so. What effect do I think ReactOS will have?

*MS Losing the $ in MS. Why. Economics. If users can get a natively windows compatible OS to run their software free then that leaves room for buying other things or more software.
**Bonus, updates.. Free

*A free open natively windows compatible OS will put more money in the pockets of software and hardware producers. I think companies will gladly take the opertunity to support a project that will in effect put more money back into their pockets. This will lead to better drivers and software.

*Permision not needed for jack squat. Yes, that is big big plus for companies looking to distribute a certain solution their way but a certian OS producer "Has a problem with it".

*Don't you hate it when companies "role back" and move features to this product because that product is losing sales.

*According to that article it's corporate america and "Sponcers" that are everything. I say go ahead MS, get mighty tight and close to your corporate america and "Sponcers", they'll support you just fine. You don't need the gamers or home user income base. Right? Naw.. That's not a significant source of income. Right? Naw.. that's NO Threat.

*Fill in blank with your own domino effect.

Welp that's my two cents worth. Yeah if your like me, you problably know this already. There is, however, this one guy, who is a business journalist of 30+ years who does not. I am no journalist however, just a hobbiest programmer. I personally have no problem starting over where the OS market should have been forked way back when. Keep up the GREAT WORK! I will continue to Donate $$$ when I can. Count me in.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Perhaps this would help:
ReactOS main page wrote:ReactOS® is an advanced free open source operating system providing a ground-up implementation of a Microsoft Windows® XP compatible operating system. ReactOS aims to achieve complete binary compatibility with both applications and device drivers meant for NT and XP operating systems, by using a similar architecture and providing a complete and equivalent public interface.

ReactOS is the most complete working model of a Windows® like operating system available. Consequently, working programmers will learn a great deal by studying ReactOS source code and even participating in ReactOS development.

ReactOS has and will continue to incorporate features from newer versions and sometimes even define the state of the art in operating system technology.

In short, ReactOS is aiming to run your applications and use your hardware, a free operating system for everyone, whether you're a business looking for an alternative to upgrading to Windows Server 2008 or simply a home user wanting to play the latest computer games and surf the web.

Please bear in mind that ReactOS 0.3.5 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature complete and is not recommended for everyday use.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

That would far better than my first attempt. It clears up the everyone being taken as everyone server everyone desktop or any other error like that.

Something extra on the about page and roadmap and its almost percent covered. Since that would add a point to say here journalist you missed this. Please correct your article. I am too good at playing the devil advocate.

+1 for bug reporting it in online services to have it changed.

Most of the changes need are small grey removal.

The hard one is altering the white paper.
Introduction

The ReactOS architecture is based on that of Microsoft Windows 2003 Server. The ReactOS architecture, like NT, is monolithic but able to load modules. At the lowest layer is the Executive. The executive includes everything that runs in kernel mode. Above the executive are the Protected Subsystems. These subsystems provide implementations of different Operating System personalities.
Now that really does need someone who is good at either spin or explaining. Most likely one of the coders. Its been the black and white nail. The intro and correct about will offset. Major thing needed is why Microsoft Windows 2003 Server. Nothing in the white paper is saying that Reactos is being built as a all rounder. Needs to change.

This is more the correct answer to the problem fix it. Once we have it fixed invite the journalist back for a correction. So we do get the right press.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

oiaohm wrote:That would far better than my first attempt. It clears up the everyone being taken as everyone server everyone desktop or any other error like that.

Something extra on the about page and roadmap and its almost percent covered. Since that would add a point to say here journalist you missed this. Please correct your article. I am too good at playing the devil advocate.

+1 for bug reporting it in online services to have it changed.

Most of the changes need are small grey removal.

The hard one is altering the white paper.
Introduction

The ReactOS architecture is based on that of Microsoft Windows 2003 Server. The ReactOS architecture, like NT, is monolithic but able to load modules. At the lowest layer is the Executive. The executive includes everything that runs in kernel mode. Above the executive are the Protected Subsystems. These subsystems provide implementations of different Operating System personalities.
Now that really does need someone who is good at either spin or explaining. Most likely one of the coders. Its been the black and white nail. The intro and correct about will offset. Major thing needed is why Microsoft Windows 2003 Server. Nothing in the white paper is saying that Reactos is being built as a all rounder. Needs to change.

This is more the correct answer to the problem fix it. Once we have it fixed invite the journalist back for a correction. So we do get the right press.
Perhaps something could be added to the User FAQ or Developer FAQ, along the lines of:
FAQ wrote:I want to use ReactOS on my desktop machine, but doesn't the fact that it is based on Windows™ Server 2003 mean that ReactOS is only for server use?

No! ReactOS can be used either by servers or by regular desktop machines. The reason that ReactOS targets Windows™ Server 2003 is because it is based on NT 5.2 technology. Windows™ 2000 is actually NT 5.0, and most versions of XP run on a NT 5.1 kernel, so choosing NT 5.2 as the compatability target means that ReactOS will be essentially the same as 2000 or XP - just more up to date in terms of security and features. After all, Windows™ XP Professional x64 is based on the same codebase as Server 2003.

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5811

Ok new thread and new Wiki page in new thread to collect and comment on the alterations. So discussion moves over to website section of form since we are kinda in the right place. On top we get to let this flame war die and disappear into Reactos archives. So all round win win.