ReactOS 0.3.5 works in VirtualBox

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

bluehappybyte

ReactOS 0.3.5 works in VirtualBox

Post by bluehappybyte » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:55 am

Hi
As the title already states: ReactOS 3.5 works with VirtualBox. This is really great. I don't know if this is already mentioned somewhere. Just want to let everyone know. :)
In fact I'm currently running Firefox 2.0 on ReactOS 3.5 in VirtualBox 1.6.2. Really cool.
BTW: I did not use the LiveCD but installed it.

This might be one of the first use cases where ReactOS runs in an production environment: VirtualBox and ReactOS can be bundled with Linux Distros. If ReactOS would allow installing USB drivers for some weired devices without Linux drivers (e.g USB printers, USB scanners, mp3 players, USB gadget) it would be possible to run those drivers inside VirtualBox on ReactOS. Just an idea of mine.

Thanks go to the devs. Keep up the good work.

hubi1809

Re: ReactOS 3.5 works in VirtualBox

Post by hubi1809 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:48 am

bluehappybyte wrote:Hi
As the title already states: ReactOS 3.5 works with VirtualBox. This is really great. I don't know if this is already mentioned somewhere. Just want to let everyone know. :)
This is nothing new , its mentioned in several threads and ReactOs is mentioned too on the VirtualBox website as working with VirtualBox.
bluehappybyte wrote:In fact I'm currently running Firefox 2.0 on ReactOS 3.5 in VirtualBox 1.6.2. Really cool.
BTW: I did not use the LiveCD but installed it.

This might be one of the first use cases where ReactOS runs in an production environment: VirtualBox and ReactOS can be bundled with Linux Distros. If ReactOS would allow installing USB drivers for some weired devices without Linux drivers (e.g USB printers, USB scanners, mp3 players, USB gadget) it would be possible to run those drivers inside VirtualBox on ReactOS. Just an idea of mine.

Thanks go to the devs. Keep up the good work.
If ReactOs would allow to run on all Hardware , working with all windows drivers (from 95 to Vista) , works well with DX , and any type of
copy protection drivers , and would run 10 times faster than XP , ... yes, than this project may have been finished. Until this may occur
we only have to wait a small time .

In short : Its interesting to read that Firefox 2.0 seems to work for you, but ROS is still in alpha and therefore not ready for any type of
production environment. To run it with VirtualBox for testing purposes is ok , as it is ok for me to run it on real hardware (old PII PC), and
it doesn't make much sense to say 'if ROS would be able to do this or that ...' , to do such thinks the project needs developers and the
developers needs a lot of time to realize this things , maybe they will have a beta version of ROS in 2 or 3 years , maybe this status will
never be reached , who knows.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:17 pm

Beta version is scheduled at the end of 2008.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:28 pm

Haos wrote:Beta version is scheduled at the end of 2008.
I thought that the 0.5.x series was when things reached beta? I can see the 0.4.x (alpha) releases happening around the end of this year, but not the 0.5.x ones - possibly they'll be here by the end of 2009. Or are the 0.4.x releases going to be tagged as beta now?

Either way, I'm happy with the response "when it's done" as an official date, so long as I have the trunk builds to play with.

RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:31 am

The 0.5 release is planned to be the beta release.

The roadmap does have 0.5 scheduled in 2008, but personally I can't see that happening at the current rate. I wouldn't expect it to run past 2010, though, and if development picks up possibly in 2009. It all really depends on how many people are programming and how much work gets done.

I might be finishing up college the same time ReactOS goes into beta, which is funny, but that's just me. Maybe I'll be able to do business on a ReactOS PC.

Just as long as the devs are giving it their all, I'm not really complaining. Before ReactOS "open-source operating system" usually wound up meaning "Linux". Newer Windows tend to be resource hogs, so a lightweight NT clone that's free (in both senses of the word) sounds exciting to me.

Personally, I've had problems running ReactOS preloaded with QEMU. (Firefox causes BSODs or immediately shuts down after launching, but still runs in the background.) Tomorrow I'll download VMWare and try that out, since it seems everyone has been having better luck with it.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:27 am

RaptorEmperor wrote:I might be finishing up college the same time ReactOS goes into beta, which is funny, but that's just me. Maybe I'll be able to do business on a ReactOS PC.
As the computer admin here at work, I've been planning to eventually switch all machines here over to ReactOS to avoid the cost of Windows licenses, the annoying issues that occur during activation and any security flaws that XP might have but (hopefully) ReactOS won't. Unfortunately, I'm leaving in two months, so I've told the guy who will be replacing me about the project. If it isn't ready for general use by the time he leaves, he'll tell the next guy, etc.

I'm personally planning on using ReactOS to run my as-yet-theoretical-but-we-can-all-dream business one day, but that won't be until the end of 2009 at the earliest, due to Other Stuff.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:31 am

Again, mind that we dont have to pass every 0.01...

Beta is just a certain stage. If Ros is mature enough, the transition shall be swift.

Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:36 pm

The developers have addmited that the roadmap is totally wrong, so now that version 0.3.5 was released they will create a new roadmap. You should wait until it is created