Hi there. I am new here. need some info to catch me up...

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hi there. I am new here. need some info to catch me up...

Post by avatarpatch »

Hey there,

I have been playing with reactOS on a VM for a few days. I can see its got a few bugs but i am extreamly impressed and look forward to the day that I wont need windows anymore.

I searched the boards and could not find answers to a few of my questions so please if you know the answer to any of them it would be nice of you and appreciated for any possitive responce you can offer.

1) What is the current status of ReactX and is it aiming at directx9 compatability?

2) Will games that require DirectX see ReactX and work as it would for DirectX?

3) I knwo you will have ReactX up but till then since I own several WIndows liceanses and have the right to use DirectX on my PC can I successfully install it on reactOS or do I have to do manual steps to get it to work and if so what version? Anyone had any luck at all?

4) Is there a ETA on Beta?

Please be kind to me when responding to my inquires. I am new here and look forward to being a long time supporter.

David

preston
Developer

Re: Hi there. I am new here. need some info to catch me up...

Post by preston »

Hi,

1) Current status is "highly unimplemented". We managed to get some dx8 and dx9 functionality using wined3d (wrapper around directx from Wine).

2) Once it's finished - yes.

3) I doubt dx runtime installer would work, but you can manually copy MS dx files to reactos and get some basic direct draw functionality.

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras »

a lot of installers work but probably not ones dealing with the system as much as the DX one would. it is unlikely that at this stage any of the DX files would work to any advantage more than the Reactx files. I have some idea thath the licence actualy specified that DX can only be installed onto windows anyway, but it will eventualy work.

I would say beta may be 2 years away, but there is no oficial estermate apart from the road map, which is a bit outdated and says it is planed for this year (I think that has become unrealistic, but well see)

Post by avatarpatch »

So you dont think Beta will be out this year?

BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

So you dont think Beta will be out this year?
Its not going to happen this year for sure.

reakt100

Post by reakt100 »

avatarpatch wrote:So you dont think Beta will be out this year?
I think it will not be out these years.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

reakt100 wrote:
avatarpatch wrote:So you dont think Beta will be out this year?
I think it will not be out these years.
Well, ReactOS has been in 0.3.x for the last 12 months or so. I'm guessing that, with a little luck, 0.4.x will happen sometime in early 2009, with version 0.5.x (the first beta version) being reached sometime in 2010.