3D Desktop

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

3D Desktop

Post by avatarpatch »

https://lg3d-core.dev.java.net/

Hey there,

The above link is for the open source project by sun that is simular but Better then the Vista 3d Desktop and was in development from what I understand BEFORE vistas limited 3D Interface. Have a look.

I am currently running ReactOS on a VM Machine. I am new to this so I am still trying to figure out how to get my VM Machine to access the internet or to transfer files from my machine to ReactOS so I can actually test this application. If any of you also try let me know of your results.

Thoughts?

GoBusto

Re: 3D Desktop

Post by GoBusto »

How to get files into ReactOS (and browse the Internet) if you are running ReactOS inside QEMU:

Burn the Firefox 1.5 or 2.0 installer (not 3.0 - ReactOS can't render it properly yet) to an .ISO disc image file (you can use Infrarecorder to do this). When you run QEMU, add the commandline option: -cdrom discfolder/firefoxdisc.iso and the .ISO file will be treated as a CD inserted into your virtual machine. When ReactOS boots, simply go to your CD drive and you will see the installer files.

EDIT 1: Don't expect anything that requires hardware 3D acceleration to work inside an emulator, though.

EDIT 2: If you're using VMWare and can't insert .ISO files as virtual CDs (like me):
+ Install ReactOS on QEMU.
+ Do everything described above.
+ Shut down ReactOS and close QEMU.
+ Copy the ReactOS.vmdk file from your QEMU folder over the ReactOS.vmdk file in your VMWare one (making sure that you have shut down the VMWare ReactOS first).
+ Run your VMWare virtual machine.
+ You'll now be using the version of ReactOS with Firefox installed on it (from QEMU) in VMWare.

Post by avatarpatch »

I cant get my vm to connect to the internet still. Dont know why. have you tried it out on your VM to see if this package works?

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Project Looking Glass birth the ideas of compiz on X11 and vista interface.

Problem with Project Looking glass its that is heavy. Way heavier that compiz or vista's. The number of changes that are being need in X11 to make compiz work stable with all its features is a lot. Vista had to have a complete backend redesign as well.

We are talking a real major project so doing it before the core is stable is unlikely.

Post by avatarpatch »

Well here is a idea... contact the Sun Developers and see if they would be willing to contue workng on it and have it released as the 3d Desktop for ReactOS. They can do all the work and continue on their project and it will also gain more publicity. Just a thought... I mean having Sun as a partner is not that bad of an idea :)

FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Funny, I always though it looked awful. Ah well.

Hope that I never see a 'distro' with this.

FlyingIsFun1217

SdC

Post by SdC »

It is a shell completely written in Java (hence the performance issues), specifically to run specially designed 3d applications.
The *nix version can run native *nix application as well, but the windows version cannot run native Windows apps. Until that is resolved, there's no point in considering it for use in ReactOS, imho. Let alone for inclusion in ReactOS itself, although anyone is free to create a Distro with just that.

fdwhacker

Post by fdwhacker »

You could just rewrite Looking Glass for ROS. I have seen it, and it is AWESOME!

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

fdwhacker wrote:You could just rewrite Looking Glass for ROS. I have seen it, and it is AWESOME!
The word "just" is debatable here, since someone would have to take the time and effort to do this.

If someone DOES feel like giving it a go, I'd suggest porting it from Java to C++ (rather than plain ol' C), since that way you're moving from one OO language to another, which should ease the transition.

Post by avatarpatch »

FDW whre did you see this?

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

If anyone`s ready to do it, none will object. Please dont expect ROS team to do it, though.

fdwhacker

Post by fdwhacker »

I actually saw it in the book "Just Say NO To Microsoft." If you want to look at it, here is the URL: http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/. For a demo: http://www.sun.com/software/looking_glass/demo.xml