Suggestion - migrate respository to Git... :)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mr_moose

Suggestion - migrate respository to Git... :)

Post by mr_moose »

Hi all -
Just a quick suggestion here. I was wondering if the devs had looked at the possibility of migrating the code to Git (rather than CVS). I'm a fairly new Git user, but am *absolutely in love* with it - very clean and simple, and the web-based GUI ( git-instaweb ) is **outstanding** . It makes it ultra-easy to get a really good overview of the tree.

I've noticed on the dev mailing-list that there has been some heat recently on a few commits breaking this and that. Just seems to me that working with Git gives you a much more "natural" way of developing code. Branches, merges, rollbacks etc are just so simple and easy that it would be one way of getting rid of the "your commit broke xyz" stuff that is so common in projects (not just here, but in very many other places too... :) ). Ok, it's still possible (in Git) to make a commit that breaks something, but imo in Git it is *much quicker, easier and simpler* to fix.

Just my 2c worth, and this is meant to be a very constructive comment - keep up the great work, devs! :)
- mr_moose

GoBusto

Re: Suggestion - migrate respository to Git... :)

Post by GoBusto »

mr_moose wrote:I was wondering if the devs had looked at the possibility of migrating the code to Git (rather than CVS)
ReactOS uses SVN, not CVS.

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Over my dead body *cough*

Anyways, Git isn't an option as we require complete Windows support for any version control system we use. The majority of the developers want to stay with SVN, and if its branching support is as good as people claim in 1.5, we might not need to move to a distributed VCS. But even if we really did need to move, Mercurial is currently the top contender.

mr_moose

Post by mr_moose »

Z98 wrote:Over my dead body *cough*

Anyways, Git isn't an option as we require complete Windows support for any version control system we use. The majority of the developers want to stay with SVN, and if its branching support is as good as people claim in 1.5, we might not need to move to a distributed VCS. But even if we really did need to move, Mercurial is currently the top contender.

Ok, that's fine - fair enough! :)
Thanks very much for your reply, Z98 - keep up the good work!