Does the internet work?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

timberwolf

Does the internet work?

Post by timberwolf »

I cant figure out how to get the internet to come up
its missing alot more than they tell on here
anyway i also cant see whats in my hard drive
any suggestions on my two situations?

GoBusto

Re: Does the internet work?

Post by GoBusto »

timberwolf wrote:I cant figure out how to get the internet to come up
If you mean "where is Internet Explorer/Firefox," you have to install such a program yourself - ReactOS doesn't have such a thing bundled with it (why not? See this post for a summary of the reasons).

If you're using a milestone release such as 0.3.4, you can use Download! to install Firefox and browse the web (Note that the Download! tool isn't included in SVN trunk versions). Be aware that, although Firefox 1.x and 2.x work fine on ReactOS, Firefox 3 does not (for the present, at least).
timberwolf wrote:i also cant see whats in my hard drive
1) If your hard drive is a SATA drive then ReactOS will not be able to find it. SATA support is currently being worked on.
2) Hard disk isn't SATA? Then which file system does it use? If it is NTFS or EXT*, ReactOS will not be able to read it, as ReactOS only supports FAT* filesystems right now. Once again, both NTFS and EXT* are still being worked on.

If your hard drive is not a SATA drive and is formatted as FAT, please provide some more information to help diagnose the problem. Which version of ReactOS are you using?
0.3.4 or a SVN build?
- If it is a SVN build, which revision number?
- Also, is it a Debug or Release SVN build?
LiveCD or Install CD?
Real hardware or Emulator?
- If an emulator, which one? (QEMU, VMWARE, etc.)
- If real hardware, what hardware do you use? (processor, amount of RAM, graphics card, etc.)
How many hard drives are there? How are they partitioned?

By the way, in future you should ask about problems either here or here.

---

EDIT: Regarding this:
timberwolf wrote:its missing alot more than they tell on here
ReactOS is version 0.3.4, not 1.0.0.
http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html wrote:Please bear in mind that ReactOS 0.3.4 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature complete and is not recommended for everyday use.

Vorg

Post by Vorg »

I tried FireFox 3 windows version and it seems like crap compaired to v2. Thrashed my hard drive at nearly every page for 15-30 seconds. And even after it settled down, with in a minute or so latter the drive would start up again on some pages even though there were no adds or anything that would need to be cached. Some of the menu changes where anoying also. And it was slower loading sites and clunky in operation.

Only good things I saw where, when you remove a link from bookmarks, the drop down window no longer closed. It stayed open. And You could drag folders around in the bookmarks dropdown, not just links.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Vorg wrote:I tried FireFox 3 windows version and it seems like crap compaired to v2. Thrashed my hard drive at nearly every page for 15-30 seconds. And even after it settled down, with in a minute or so latter the drive would start up again on some pages even though there were no adds or anything that would need to be cached. Some of the menu changes where anoying also. And it was slower loading sites and clunky in operation.
Do you mean in ReactOS or in Windows? Although Firefox 2.0 works much better than v3.0 in ReactOS, I've been using v3.0 in Windows 2000/XP since Beta1 and it works Just Lovely™ for me.

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

GoBusto wrote:Do you mean in ReactOS or in Windows? Although Firefox 2.0 works much better than v3.0 in ReactOS, I've been using v3.0 in Windows 2000/XP since Beta1 and it works Just Lovely™ for me.
http://freewebspace.net/forums/showthre ... &p=1000836

It has some memory leaks still though, for me, much more serious now than before, since I only have 512 MB RAM. =/

Post by avatarpatch »

I am using the latest release and have the DOWNLOAD option but reactOS tells me that it cant access my network. I am using VMWare. Any help with this would be great. I am on Vista if that helps.

Vorg

Post by Vorg »

Sorry, ment to say Windows, w2k to be exact. It was said above that v3 didn't work in ROS, well, it don't work so good in windows ether :lol:

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Vorg wrote:Sorry, ment to say Windows, w2k to be exact. It was said above that v3 didn't work in ROS, well, it don't work so good in windows ether :lol:
Well, it works, for a given value of "works" - all text appears as "_______" and some areas of the display are not redrawn unless you move your mouse over them/scroll the display window, but it starts/stops and you can browse. It looks like the only problem is that a few of the necessary graphics things are not fully implemented in ReactOS yet.

I've been trying v3.0 every time I install a trunk build on QEMU/VMWare (which I do fairly regularly) and I have seen it make the transition from "Will not start" to "system freezes/bluescreens when it it closed" to "runs okay but has graphical issues," (well done devs!) so hopefully it will be fully usable soon - especially since 3.0 is now the current version (ie. not just a beta or RC), meaning that more people will be wanting to use it instead of 1.5 or 2.0.