Outdated File Manager

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

sandmann4u

Outdated File Manager

Post by sandmann4u »

I try ROS since over one Year, with some problems.

Instead of beeing mad, i'll try now to discuss it.

Primary it shall be later an usefull alternative for "Windoof".
So, one of my biggest problems at the moment is the file manager.
It is really uncomfortable, was taken out of order in Windows in early Windows95, so I believe it's time to include an alternative right now!

So, isn't it a god place to discuss alternatives, and finally include it instead of actual file Manager???

So, i've just searched in www for alternatives.

At home i use TotalCmd, but it is shareware, so not solution.
What about freecommander? I' ve not tested, but i'll do that and inform about my impressions.

So, somebody other reality ideas for another useable more comfortable file manager?

florian

Re: Outdated File Manager

Post by florian »

Freecommander is only freeware but it must be opensource.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

From http://cia.vc/stats/project/ReactOS:
ReactOS is an Open-Source operating system, which aims to be compatible with the Microsoft Windows NT(R) family of operating systems. This encompasses full binary compatability with applications and drivers, plus adopting the look and feel of Windows to retain familiarity
ReactOS looks like Windows because Windows looks like Windows. If you want to use an alternative shell then that's up to you, but I'm thinking that you'll have a hard time convincing the dev team to replace the current explorer/explorer_new shell with anything else.

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

But, at least we could modify the reactos explorer to look like Win2000 or WinXP instead of Win95. This does not mean changing the shell.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

cmoibenlepro wrote:But, at least we could modify the reactos explorer to look like Win2000 or WinXP instead of Win95. This does not mean changing the shell.
explorer_new already looks pretty much the same as Windows XP with the classic theme.

z180

Post by z180 »

There is the rosapps package ,which includes the file manager from WINE wich is faster.
The ReactOS explorer can also started under Windows 2000/XP(have no Vista) and works better there.
The underlying libraries (like shell32.dll comctl32.dll comdlg32.dll browseui.dll)are work-in-progress,
and the Explorer code could have some additions.
There is already work on a new Explorer but it is less complete than the current.
About the incomplete Explorer was already complained about in 2003!
Why are people complaining permanently up to now?
I started a thread how to get MS Explorer to work in ReactOS.

Last Thing:The winfile.exe was included up to windows 2000 and not dropped in windows 95.