Suggestions for default programs in ROS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carlo Bramix

Re: Suggestions for default programs in ROS

Post by Carlo Bramix »

Personally, I disagree with the inclusion of an internet browser like Firefox, K-meleon, etc.
I also agree with the decision to remove ibrowser, which used mozilla plugin.
But I would agree if somebody will decide to include an extra-slim internet browser based on HINTERNET handles.

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

My suggestion would be to have a shortcut to Download! on the desktop as soon as ReactOS is installed, and also have a pop-up balloon (similar to the "Take a tour of Windows XP" one) with a message such as:

Click here to install an Internet browser
You can run 'Download!' later if you don't want to do this now.

This would make life easier for non-technical users who just want to "start an Internet" and check their emails, but can't find the iexplore icon.

One potential problem with having no default browser installed is that, to set up wireless routers, you sometimes need to configure them through a web browser - which would mean that you'd need a web browser installed before you could use Download! to grab Firefox.

However, I'd say that this shouldn't usually be a problem, since there will be two main ways for you to grab ReactOS:
1) Download the Plain Jane installer .ISO from reactos.org
2) Install ROS from a distro CD.

Option (1) implies that you already have an Internet connection, and option (2) will mean that your default install will probably have a web browser bundled anyway.
z180

Post by z180 »

I found a few small open source web browsers of varying size on the net,but they either required a different OS
or were written in an unsupported programming language.
swight

Post by swight »

By the way why isn't Download! included in the trunk builds? or maybe we should at least have a download and install Download! option. seems like this could speed up application testing. This would also allow those(like me) that don't feel like compiling the OSthe ability to get programs without having to figure out how to load the app into an iso and getting the iso working in the emulator.sorry if I sound lazy, but this seems reasonable
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

There are some release-only hacks IIRC, which simply aren't included in trunk builds. I tried to install GlideWrapper on trunk build, being rewarded with instant BSOD. In other words, somebody would have to look and try programs if they run under each trunk build, which consumes too much time.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Plus, the more stuff there is in the trunk build, the longer it takes for it to compile and the larger the resultant .ISO files are. To be honest, I'm not even sure why the games are included in trunk builds, but I'm sure that the devs have their reasons.
swight

Post by swight »

Black_Fox:from what I understand trunk builds aren't supposed to be guaranteed to even run(so wouldn't be expected to check the programs every revision, wouldn't make much sense to either). they are there so you can try the latest fixes(and thus see if they run). it doesn't make much sense(to me) that something isn't included due to the fact that it only work with hacks. it seems like more of a reason to include it in the trunk builds so that these programs are more available to be tested with up to date code and possibly not require said hacks. also their would be more people to look at the programs to see if they worked.

GoBusto: That was the reason I suggested a link that would download Download! as an option though I am not sure how much better that option is. That way it wouldn't have to be included but a way is available to get it. Another possible option that I would deem ok is maybe a Download! ISO that may or may not be updated durring non-release periods. just as long as there is someway to get Download! short of compiling it yourself that is easy to bring into the OS.

Think I will wait for a developer's opinion before I go further in my rantings(especially since they may be pointless if there is a firm "no this will never happen").
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Downloading for example Diablo 2 demo each trunk build would kill my connection... Just because it isn't included in trunk build it doesn't mean you can't try it, just mount an iso image with whatever you want when starting QEMU :)